Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

need ideas on activities to do together with my teens

Posted by   + Show Post

I have 2 teens... a son, 15 years old, and a daughter, 16 years old. 

They both have their friends that they do stuff with, as I have my own friends as well.

However, whenever I suggest things to do with my kids, my son usually will want to do stuff with me, and also with my hubby (their dad)  on weekends (he works fulltime, I am a sub teacher and off for the summer).

My daughter never seems to want to do anything with us...she'd rather text her friends and sit in her room, or go out with her friends.   She usually stays home and likes to veg out, watch tv, text her friends, get on her computer, and basically be in her room.

I miss doing things with my daughter and my son together, the 3 of us, as a group, and with their dad, and me, as a foursome.  How do I find activities to interest my daughter?

I suggest activities, and she says they are boring ideas..if I ask her what she would like to do...she says she doesnt' know.....any ideas, anyone?

by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 2:26 AM
Replies (11-20):
PurpleHazey
by Angie on Jun. 17, 2013 at 9:10 PM

Camping

drfink
by Emily on Jun. 17, 2013 at 10:16 PM
2 moms liked this

Quoting Barabell:

Quoting atlmom2:

That is the norm. I didn't want to either when I was a teen. I say go out to eat. Mine never turned down food, lol.

My son never turns down food either. It can be as simple as going to Starbucks for an hour in the afternoon for a coffee and a treat.

yup my sons and daughter love going out to eat and LOVE Starbucks...never have to ask a second time....lol

drfink
by Emily on Jun. 17, 2013 at 10:21 PM

yup ,we have set up late Sunday morning and early afternoon as for us.Church ,breakfast brunch ,movie ,museum ,play or bowling.We set this a long time ago as our oldest became a teenager...it seldom interferes with any of their plans.My teens have been doing this so long they don't know to protest

Quoting luckysevenwow:

This was me, family activities weren't up for discussion. I tried to make sure that all of the, were happy but settled for most of them, and tried to make sure that each outing was geared to at least one or two of them

Quoting nuts4scouts:

If it is a family outing then no one gets to stay home alone. Period. Like it or not.

Life is hard, and the kids would simply have to grit their teeth and make the best of having fun with the family.

Some things we did together - hiked, camped, mini-golf, bowling, zoo, museums, go-carts, amusement parks, and lots more.

Sniff, poor abused them!

FindersKeepers
by on Jun. 18, 2013 at 12:03 AM
1 mom liked this

Our kids are 13 and 17... family time is not optional... and not 'scheduled' exactly.   If we decide to rent a movie, play a board game, have a backyard fire, hang out in the jacuzzi, black a game of horse (basketball), watch a sporting event. .... we do not let the kids decline.    Sometimes they grumble at the start that games are lame, the movie isn't something they want to see, or my DD didn't like sports, but they come around after a bit.   We basically say "NO we are ALL watching the movie"  or when DD is not as into football, she can bring an activity downstairs but has to stay in the living room with us.   Now she is 13, understands and is starting to like football. 

As far as other activites we go to the pool, bowling, yard work, cooking, ect... basically we do basic things together.  When I met my DH I knew he was the right guy for me because we had a great time just doing ordinary things, which makes a great friends.... We have the same philosophy with our kids.  Life is 99% ordinary moments... so just doing those things together makes us closer.

bizzeemom2717
by Jen on Jun. 18, 2013 at 3:16 AM
Shopping, dinner out, going for walks.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MomofSCMJJA
by on Jun. 18, 2013 at 3:47 AM

Your profile doesn't say what part of Ohio, but I'm willing to bet they wouldn't turn down a trip to Cedar Point!  But seriously.  Sports games (either professional or at the nearest college or university), rock climbing, paintball (really, this is a blast!  I didn't think I would like it, but we all enjoyed it!) or laser tag, a dinner theater (the ones where you are assigned a role to play in a mystery-my teens really got into it), camping maybe, but not all kids enjoy that-I have one that considers it pure punishment to have to go camping!  The Ohio Renaissance Festival is in the fall. The Ohio State Fair is just a few weeks out.

I always tried to avoid movies since you can't really interact with the kids-it's all about sitting together in the dark.  We also rarely go to restaurants-just because my husband is in the business.  It's not a treat to him to go to a restaurant, it's just work.  So we do other things.  One day recently the kids were griping that they were bored, so when I ran to the store, I bought an ice cream maker for $19 and the ingredients to make homemade ice cream.  We grilled hamburgers on the grill then made ice cream.  It turned out to be a great evening.

Wow, I'm about ready to plan a trip to Ohio:  in Cleveland there's the Great Lakes Science Center, the Holden Arboretum, and the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame!  How about the Seneca Caves in Bellevue?  In Columbus there's the Cloak and Dagger Dinner Theater and the Topiary Park.  In Cinncinati (or thereabouts) there's The Beach Waterpark and the National Museum of the Air Force.  In Logan there's the Hocking Peaks Adventure Park (ready to ride a zip line?  Maybe I'd leave that one to the teens!)

suesues
by Silver Member on Jun. 18, 2013 at 7:44 AM

just dinner maybe beach or  vacation teens dont want to do stuff with parents

vlynn.iowa
by Bronze Member on Jun. 18, 2013 at 12:18 PM

You could have a "girls day out" .  Just some 1 on 1 time with your daughter.  A day of shopping (we mostly window shop), lunch (or dinner) out, and maybe a manicure.

I've done this with my daughters (18 and 14).  We have also had a "girls day in" where we give each other mani/pedi's, eat junk food and watch movies.

3gr8tKids
by on Jun. 18, 2013 at 12:25 PM
A few weekends back... my teen son and I did a road trip. I found a place several hour from home where we could zipline. He went kicking and screaming and on the way home he was planning the next time we would go.
mimimom139
by Member on Jun. 18, 2013 at 5:42 PM

We going to be tie-dying T-shirts this weekend.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)