Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I finally broke down and ...

Posted by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 4:35 PM
  • 6 Replies

told our 15 year old son's probation officer and substance worker that my husband has been using pot for a great deal of time, and that I will not put all the blame on our 15 year old son. Our son had gotten caught with pot in school and he uses pretty regularly, has punched holes in walls at home, stolen money and pot from us, lied, etc.  My husband is verbally abusive to our kids and sometimes me. I hold both my husband and our son responsible for both of their behaviors. They are both in the wrong, as they both do pot.  Oh yeah, I let my social worker know what is going on too. Cannot keep the weight of this on my shoulders anymore, tired of hiding the truth, hoping they finally get the help they need through counseling and substance treatment. This is basically the last straw.

by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 4:35 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
drfink
by Emily on Jun. 17, 2013 at 6:09 PM

You did the right thing.

Hopefully your husband will stop if only to support yall son working toward sobriety from pot.If not your son's therapist would need to know about the lack of support from his father and help him learn coping mechanisms.

luckysevenwow
by Platinum Member on Jun. 17, 2013 at 6:20 PM

You did good, can't have one getting in trouble for something his very own father does. If dad doesn't like it, then maybe he shouldn't be around his son.

HilbillyMamaof3
by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 6:26 PM
I grew up on a home where drugs were the norm. My parents done them, my brother and I done them. When he got in trouble (I never got caught) it was covered. No one would have ever mentioned, or even assumed what went on in our home if they knew they were part of that circle; which included Drs, Lawyers, even police officers. We lived in a nice neighborhood, they had good jobs, we went to church, nice cars, nice vacations, nice clothes.
I overdosed at 16, spent 6 weeks in inpatient rehab, with the director a good friend of my parents, who also done "recreational drugs"
When I was 18 I moved out and got clean on my own- no hypocritical help.
My brothers story is not the same. After spending years in and out of juvenile, jail, rehab, halfway houses and even a mental institute; he overdosed and died. At that point my parents no longer done drugs, they had been clean for many years.
I will never forget the call and it brings tears to my eyes now. My brother was dead, by a habit that he learned from me. The guilt can be overwhelming, but nothing like the pain my mother suffers. Ultimately her choices when we were young, killed my brother. I don't blame her though, he made his bed all on his own, and we tried to get him help.
YOU DONE THE RIGHT THING! Good for you, you may have saved your child's life. I thought I would share a story very few know because maybe it will give you the strength you need; it's gonna be tough for awhile. If you need anyone to talk to I am available. What you did was good, and tough. How many times I would have like to have talked to someone.
boys2men2soon
by Kimberly on Jun. 17, 2013 at 7:19 PM

Good for you.  

bizzeemom2717
by Jen on Jun. 17, 2013 at 8:05 PM

bow downGood for you, sometimes the right thing to do is the toughest thing to do. Hang in there, hope you are all able to get some help.

PurpleHazey
by Angie on Jun. 17, 2013 at 8:46 PM

I would of did the same thing

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)