Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

Teen daughter seems preoccupied all the time and wont say why.

Posted by   + Show Post
Our family is big on doing things together but recently my 17 year old daughter seems like she's always got her mind on something else. I have no idea what, she says its nothing but recntly instead of engaing with us she'll always be zoned out. Like at a barbecue with some extended family we were all talking about our summer plans and when my sister asked her about hers it was so obvious she had no idea what she was asking or what the conversation was about at all. It's not like she was on her phone or anything, she just wasn't listening. And recently she's been like that all the time around family. I don't know how she is around her friends but I bet shes a lot more open and engaged. How should I approach this?
by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 9:23 PM
Replies (11-18):
boys2men2soon
by Kimberly on Jun. 18, 2013 at 10:54 AM

Teens 'tune out' all the time.   They seem to prefer their own world to ours.   Don't read too much into it.     Talk to her.   Tell her you've noticed she seems to be pre occupied and ask if she has something on her mind.

Bertieb
by Member on Jun. 18, 2013 at 12:00 PM

My daughter is 16 and you don't know one day to the next whether she will be good to be around, hateful, or totally indifferent to your existence. I never get a real answer when it seems something is wrong. Usually she just says she is tired or she doesn't know. It drives me crazy because I want to help or just stop it! She seems happiest when I just give her space during these times. When I was a teen I kept a lot to myself. It wasn't anything major, but I thought a lot about philisophical stuff, spirituality, life, death, etc. I don't know if something is wrong with your daughter or not, but I have sympathy for you and understand!

aeneasa
by on Jun. 18, 2013 at 12:56 PM

My 15 yr old dd is exactly the same until the plastic card in exposed.  My 13 yr old ds, who has always been my running buddy, is getting the same way.  I call it pre empty nest syndrome.  It is hard when I've always planned the summer activities around my kids, and now I have so much time to myself.  I'm approching this a new way.  I invite and if they decline I go alone.  I always come home with something so they think they missed out.  when you're out and about observe other teens with their parents and you may see the same thing.

lnrmom
by on Jun. 18, 2013 at 2:59 PM

Sounds like normal teen to me...

vlynn.iowa
by Bronze Member on Jun. 19, 2013 at 8:04 AM

This

Quoting bizzeemom2717:

Talk to her, explain your concerns and ask her if their is something bothering her or on her mind

R_MAZIBUKO
by on Jun. 19, 2013 at 8:43 AM

I have a similar problem but mine is the phone

R_MAZIBUKO
by on Jun. 19, 2013 at 8:48 AM

it is so amazing to hear that I am not the only one and my kid is not from another planet but that is a normal behaviour

MrsBLB
by on Jun. 19, 2013 at 9:25 AM

This

Quoting boys2men2soon:

Teens 'tune out' all the time.   They seem to prefer their own world to ours.   Don't read too much into it.     Talk to her.   Tell her you've noticed she seems to be pre occupied and ask if she has something on her mind.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN