Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Appropriate or Asking for trouble?

Poll

Question: Do you think it is appropriate for a youth group to have kids from middle school through college doing late night and overnight activities together?

Options:

Yes, this is fine

No, this is asking for trouble

Other

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 42

View Results

My step kids go to a youth group that takes place on Friday evenings from 7pm to 11pm.   The "kids" that attend range in age from middle school to college (ages 11 to 20).   Some of the events are movies at the mall, overnight slumber parties, late night swimming and destination trips (skiing, amusement parks, ect.).   On these outings there is only one youth group pastor who is 24.   

Do you think this arragnement is appropriate?   Would you allow your 13yo to attend?

by on Jun. 18, 2013 at 12:21 AM
Replies (11-20):
fammatthews4
by Trisha on Jun. 18, 2013 at 5:48 AM
1 mom liked this
With only one chaperone I would not allow it. I was active in my church youth group growing up but it was HS only and anytime there was any event like the ones you listed many of the parents chaperoned along with the youth group leader.
fammatthews4
by Trisha on Jun. 18, 2013 at 5:50 AM
2 moms liked this
Trolls are usually first timers in a group. This person has been in this group for many years (probably longer than I have) and is a very active member. I highly doubt this is a troll post.

Quoting sabrtooth1:

Troll alert.   Do you know how many times I have seen this SAME post--word for word?  For YEARS?   I have a VERY good memory.

atlmom2
by Susie on Jun. 18, 2013 at 7:42 AM
1 mom liked this
Out of hs are not youth any longer. Ours had 2 separate groups. No overnights between 13 and 20 yo. We had some hs sleepovers at the church if a weekend event was going on.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
disneymom2two
by Member on Jun. 18, 2013 at 7:47 AM

I voted other because I'd have no problem (at my church where I know the people well) with the movies, swimming, and trips activities but I don't see the reason for slumber parties.  I'd allow my 13 year old (if I had one) to go to the events but most likley not the slumber parties.

GleekingOut
by Silver Member on Jun. 18, 2013 at 8:01 AM

So you would find it weird that my special needs DD is best friends with 2 17yo girls?

Quoting bizzeemom2717:

No way, too big of an age gap. Also sorry but if a college boy or girl feels awkward around their own age I still don't think it's appropriate for them to hang with younger kids. Asking for trouble.

atlmom2
by Susie on Jun. 18, 2013 at 8:18 AM
We had retreats at a cabin or large house for weekends. Also events at the church for a weekend and all slept there.

Quoting disneymom2two:

I voted other because I'd have no problem (at my church where I know the people well) with the movies, swimming, and trips activities but I don't see the reason for slumber parties.  I'd allow my 13 year old (if I had one) to go to the events but most likley not the slumber parties.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
atlmom2
by Susie on Jun. 18, 2013 at 8:20 AM
1 mom liked this
College kids need their separate group as well as middle schoolers. I remember someone older still attending the hs group. No issues but after 6 months they were told not stop attending.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
fantasticfour
by Grumpy on Jun. 18, 2013 at 8:28 AM

I would have to say it's a judgement call.  I never thought I would let my kids participate in a coed lock in, but I did.  One of those judgement calls.

lancet98
by on Jun. 18, 2013 at 8:33 AM

It depends on how much supervision there is.

luckysevenwow
by Platinum Member on Jun. 18, 2013 at 9:10 AM
1 mom liked this

There are plenty of us who can attest that she is not a troll.

Quoting sabrtooth1:

Troll alert.   Do you know how many times I have seen this SAME post--word for word?  For YEARS?   I have a VERY good memory.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)