Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

Appropriate or Asking for trouble?

Poll

Question: Do you think it is appropriate for a youth group to have kids from middle school through college doing late night and overnight activities together?

Options:

Yes, this is fine

No, this is asking for trouble

Other

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 42

View Results

My step kids go to a youth group that takes place on Friday evenings from 7pm to 11pm.   The "kids" that attend range in age from middle school to college (ages 11 to 20).   Some of the events are movies at the mall, overnight slumber parties, late night swimming and destination trips (skiing, amusement parks, ect.).   On these outings there is only one youth group pastor who is 24.   

Do you think this arragnement is appropriate?   Would you allow your 13yo to attend?

by on Jun. 18, 2013 at 12:21 AM
Replies (31-40):
Linus77
by Member on Jun. 19, 2013 at 1:32 AM

The youth pastor should be having a youth WIFE.  He should not be the only adult in charge.  Helpers yes, the college kids because they shouldn't be part of the youth group.  They would be considered young adults.  BUT leadership should have at least one male AND one female.  One youth of either sex should never be alone with a leader of either sex.  There NEEDS to be one male and one female.

Not just to protect the kids, but to protect the leaders from situations. 

atlmom2
by Susie on Jun. 19, 2013 at 8:10 AM
Sad sign of the times. 30, 40 years ago things were not like this. Always had one leader and no one would say a word.

Quoting Linus77:

The youth pastor should be having a youth WIFE.  He should not be the only adult in charge.  Helpers yes, the college kids because they shouldn't be part of the youth group.  They would be considered young adults.  BUT leadership should have at least one male AND one female.  One youth of either sex should never be alone with a leader of either sex.  There NEEDS to be one male and one female.

Not just to protect the kids, but to protect the leaders from situations. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MrsBLB
by Missi on Jun. 19, 2013 at 9:39 AM
1 mom liked this

I think the age range is to wide.

Medusa686
by on Jun. 19, 2013 at 10:21 AM
1 mom liked this

No way. My son is 12 1/2 and attends events with kids his own age.  If kids are not his own age then it depends but no overnight stuff with older kids. 

Hannahluvsdogs
by Bronze Member on Jun. 19, 2013 at 10:24 AM
1 mom liked this

I have more of a problem with there being only one chaperone than the age range of the kids.

Barabell
by Barbara on Jun. 19, 2013 at 10:55 AM

Based on that, no. It seems like inadequate supervision, even if it wasn't co-ed.

My son has gone to co-ed overnight camps before, but the girls and boys are clearly separated and there is a lot more supervision than that. The more traditional overnight camp (i.e. cabins and hiking, etc) also had two adults in each cabin. The kids were not to be left alone even with just one adult.

My son is now in Boy Scouts, and they don't allow a child to be left alone with one adult supervisor either. They always need more than one adult for any outing.

Quoting FindersKeepers:

There are 20+ kids ranging from 12 - 20+ and one youth leader who is a 24 yo male.

Quoting Barabell:

I would need to know more about supervision. If there is proper supervision in place, I might consider it.

Barabell
by Barbara on Jun. 19, 2013 at 10:56 AM

Quoting Hannahluvsdogs:

I have more of a problem with there being only one chaperone than the age range of the kids.

Me too.

mimimom139
by Member on Jun. 19, 2013 at 2:15 PM
1 mom liked this

Wouldn't let my kid go. Mentally she's 14 going on 10. Physically, she's 14 on 20.

askmommy
by Member on Jun. 19, 2013 at 7:57 PM
Not enough leadership. There should always be at least 2 adults.
FindersKeepers
by on Jun. 20, 2013 at 12:17 AM

This is one of my issues... DD is in 8th grade but could easily pass for a high school student.   I just don't like her being in an environment with teens who may not realize how young she is.   

Quoting mimimom139:

Wouldn't let my kid go. Mentally she's 14 going on 10. Physically, she's 14 on 20.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)