Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

help my 14 yr old son is in love and I'm not ready

Posted by on Jun. 18, 2013 at 9:52 AM
  • 16 Replies
My 14 yr old is dating a girl and is infatuated with her. I don't know if I'm being selfish because I don't want to let him go or if he really is just too young. My husband says their fine. (They don't "do" anything he says hhe's not going to mess up his future). He really is a good kid. I think I'm
Just crazy.
by on Jun. 18, 2013 at 9:52 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Hannahluvsdogs
by Bronze Member on Jun. 18, 2013 at 10:39 AM

"Dating" can mean different things, but at that age if they're just going on group dates with friends, I wouldn't be worried.

boys2men2soon
by Kimberly on Jun. 18, 2013 at 10:49 AM
2 moms liked this

Personally, I think that is too young to date.     If they are just hanging out with friends and consider themselves 'in love', that is normal.     Make sure they are well supervised, of course.

You are not crazy, lol.    Raising teens just makes us think we are!

Barabell
by Barbara on Jun. 18, 2013 at 4:46 PM
1 mom liked this

What do you mean by dating? I agree with Hannahluvsdogs that it can mean different stuff at this age. My son is about to turn 14, and he says kids at his school don't date. They just say they're "going out." They might hold hands at school and/or text, but they don't go on dates or see each other outside of school.

atlmom2
by Susie on Jun. 18, 2013 at 5:22 PM
Make sure they are always supervised. Good kids do screw up.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
DropZoneMom
by on Jun. 18, 2013 at 6:44 PM
1 mom liked this

We just went through this with our 14yo DD.   After years of saying "you can't date until you're 16", my DH & I allowed her to 'date' a boy in her class.   They were together the entire school year.   He had a TON of family issues -- mom has 4 kids by 3 different guys with a revolving bedroom door (but isn't with anyone right now, thank God).   She's also been evicted multiple times.

The reason we relented?   Because they saw each other at school every day, and would see each other in our neighborhood.   If we had been hard-asses about it, she very well might have went behind our backs and snuck around to see him.    Our daughter is also a VERY good kid -- respectful, excellent grades, NJHS, very involved in extra-curricular activities (which helped limit the amount of time they spent together).  

Fortunately, our daughter finally decided on her own that his wasn't the guy for her, and their relationship is over.   We're THRILLED, of course -- but we haven't told her that.   Instead we've hugged her while she cried, and told her that she will meet Mr. Right someday.   (No hurry!!!)

DropZoneMom
by on Jun. 18, 2013 at 6:45 PM
2 moms liked this

OH -- one more thing:   if your son says he's "in love", don't minimize or trivialize what that means to him.   Don't tell him he's 'too young' or doesn't 'know what love is'.    You want him to TALK to you, and if you demean the feelings he's having for this girl, he won't do that.

luckysevenwow
by Platinum Member on Jun. 18, 2013 at 7:02 PM

So I have to say 14 is to young, I just gotta :)

Now you are not being selfish, it's normal to feel that twinge as our children grow up and away from us.

bizzeemom2717
by Jen on Jun. 18, 2013 at 8:10 PM

It's normal to feel a bit sad Mama, 14 is a little young just make sure thyey are always supervised

PurpleHazey
by on Jun. 18, 2013 at 8:12 PM

14 dating and your not ready! Can't imagine why "HINT" Too young!

PurpleHazey
by on Jun. 18, 2013 at 8:13 PM

Quoting bizzeemom2717:

It's normal to feel a bit sad Mama, 14 is a little young just make sure thyey are always supervised

Alittle young, hell way to young.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)