Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

Caught my son...making him pay...

Posted by on Jun. 18, 2013 at 10:03 AM
  • 21 Replies
So last November I was questioning my 16 year old on why he was hanging out with an 18 year old. Asked to see his phone to look if this kid had a FB or twitter. I wanted to see what kind of kid wants to hang out with a 16 year old kid. I found out why. There were pictures of my son smoking pot. Inhaling and blowing smoke out, idiot. This was all in the 18 year olds car. So after two months with no phone, or contact with the older moron, I came to a punishment. Paying for his own drivers ed, once he got a job. I didn't want him getting it at 15 bc I personally think that is too young. He had much silent treatment then a really good talk about that kind of thing. Now, to each their own on the use, just not as a kid with stupid friends. I wanted to see what you moms thought of him having to pay, I think it's fair.
by on Jun. 18, 2013 at 10:03 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Hannahluvsdogs
by Silver Member on Jun. 18, 2013 at 10:33 AM

I agree that's fair.

boys2men2soon
by Kimberly on Jun. 18, 2013 at 10:40 AM
2 moms liked this

Absolutely fair.    Driving is a big responsibility in several ways.  It is also a priveledge, not a right.  

Barabell
by Barbara on Jun. 18, 2013 at 11:18 AM

Definitely fair.

luckysevenwow
by Platinum Member on Jun. 18, 2013 at 1:50 PM
Driving isn't a right, it's a privilege. Making him pay will only help teach responsibility.
disnchntdwife
by on Jun. 18, 2013 at 1:52 PM

my parents had 4 kids and we all had to pay for DE. It wasnt a punishment, just a fact of life.

tokeahontas
by on Jun. 18, 2013 at 2:24 PM
I always wondered why my mom didn't pay for my drivers ed lmao.

Yes I think its reasonable.
Luv.My.Kidz
by on Jun. 18, 2013 at 2:29 PM
1 mom liked this

I wasn't doing any of that and I paid for my own Driver's Ed when I was 16... I also was the last of my friends to get my license because I wanted to make sure my driving skills were good enough to pass with at least a 90% when all my friends were passing with a 75-80%.

I think you're doing a great thing by making him be responsible to pay for his own drivers ed.

browneyedbitty
by Member on Jun. 18, 2013 at 5:26 PM
1 mom liked this
Very fair! Driver's Ed is free here. Or at least it was. My 16yo was in the last class before they started charging for it. My teens have to pay for their own insurance also. Having the responsibility makes them appreciate it more and to drive very carefully because they certainly can't afford an insurance increase.
bizzeemom2717
by Jen on Jun. 18, 2013 at 8:11 PM

I agree, good idea and yes fair

PurpleHazey
by on Jun. 18, 2013 at 8:19 PM

Having to much time on their hands is the worse thing for a teen, I think all teens should be very busy at all times.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)