Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Kids Watch Their Dad's Suicide on YouTube

Posted by on Jun. 22, 2013 at 7:47 AM
  • 6 Replies

Kids Watch Their Dad's Suicide on YouTube

by Jeanne Sager 

computer onlineAnother day, another frivolous lawsuit. Only the mom suing the Fox News Channel for airing footage of her husband's suicide that upset her children doesn't come across as your average money-hungry American. She sounds like a woman who is having a rough time, a mom who is protecting her kids.

Sadly, suing a TV news channel is too little, too late. Because JoDon Romero's kids didn't see his suicide on a television at all.

They saw it on YouTube.

Which, last I checked, is something that falls under a parent's purview ...

According to the lawsuit, Fox broadcast a police chase involving the father of three live, without a delay, during Studio B With Shepard Smith. They caught the moment when Romero got out of his car and shot himself.

More From The Stir: School Erases Suicide Victim From Yearbook As If He Never Existed

Soon, the video made the Internet, and Romero's kids caught wind of it at their high school. Unfortunately, the talk of a live suicide video didn't include names. So the Romero kids went home and all three -- ages 15, 13, and 9 -- sat down to watch.

I think we can all imagine what that was like for those poor kids, what every day since has been like for them.

I came thisclose to seeing a dear friend's body after he took his life, and more than a decade later, I can still remember every moment of that day. And I was an adult, he wasn't my father.

Their trauma is 10 times mine ... at least.

But while I feel for the family, I have trouble supporting a lawsuit against a TV station for something that really comes down to parenting.

She let her kids have unfettered access to YouTube, and she wants a TV network to pay for that?

Sorry, but being a sympathetic victim doesn't make you right.

The kids ARE probably traumatized by this unfortunate incident, but after the network aired the suicide, it was Mom's job to keep her kids away from it. No doubt she was busy -- her husband did just die -- but even busy parents need to be parents.

And when we fall down on the job, we have to suck it up and accept that it's our own faults -- not the rest of the world's.

When our kids run into things on the Internet that they went looking for, on purpose, while we weren't looking, that isn't someone else's fault. That's ours. Ours for not policing their Internet use or at least having a good long talk about what they SHOULD and should not be doing on the Internet.

I do feel bad for the Romero kids. They just lost their dad and in one of the most tragic of ways. But this lawsuit should fail, and its failure should send a very loud message to parents who don't bother to check up on their kids on the web.

There's a wild world out there that your kids can log on to. It's up to you to protect them.

What do you make of this lawsuit?

Is it the network's fault or mom's?

by on Jun. 22, 2013 at 7:47 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
atlmom2
by Susie on Jun. 22, 2013 at 8:23 AM
Sad, but a dumb lawsuit. She needs to move on.
Watch your kids on the internet!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
luckysevenwow
by Platinum Member on Jun. 22, 2013 at 9:31 AM

I remember years ago when I lived in Cali, a police chase that ended the same way. Live on TV.

Of course I was watching and so were my older 2 kids, it was just blocks from us when it happened, and it was a horrible thing to witness. Thankfully my kids were pretty young, so they were completely unaware, but I can imagine just how traumatic it was for these kids. 

In junior high, there was a guy I went to school with who's family appeared to have it all. Popular kids, good jobs, ect,.. The middle son, the one I was friends with, came home one day to find his dad had shot himself in the head. It was a major shock to the family and the school. Can you imagine? Turns out dad was having some serious financial problems, loosing his business, and that was his answer.

I completely underestand where this mom is coming from, and I think in her grief she is looking for somewhere to place her grief, something to help her cope, and then there is the momma bear in her coming out to protect her kids...a little late.

I can't see this going anywhere, and hopefully it doesn't, but it's her way of coping, maybe once the dust settles she will see that it wasn't the news or youtubes fault. 

Jessiejack
by Silver Member on Jun. 22, 2013 at 10:11 AM

I think those things should not be allowed to be shown on TV or the Internet. If any good comes out of this I hope its that new laws to stop this kind of footage. 

lakerfan420
by Jamie on Jun. 22, 2013 at 1:03 PM
Actually I kind of think it was a little wrong of the network. They had admitted to not running on a 5 second delay like they were supposed to be for covering a live event. Of course we should monitor our children's internet usage, but even the best monitored children will find a way to watch something they shouldn't if the desire is there. But had the network ran with the delay and cut the footage of him actually killing himself, this whole issue could have been avoided.

Quoting luckysevenwow:

I remember years ago when I lived in Cali, a police chase that ended the same way. Live on TV.

Of course I was watching and so were my older 2 kids, it was just blocks from us when it happened, and it was a horrible thing to witness. Thankfully my kids were pretty young, so they were completely unaware, but I can imagine just how traumatic it was for these kids. 

In junior high, there was a guy I went to school with who's family appeared to have it all. Popular kids, good jobs, ect,.. The middle son, the one I was friends with, came home one day to find his dad had shot himself in the head. It was a major shock to the family and the school. Can you imagine? Turns out dad was having some serious financial problems, loosing his business, and that was his answer.

I completely underestand where this mom is coming from, and I think in her grief she is looking for somewhere to place her grief, something to help her cope, and then there is the momma bear in her coming out to protect her kids...a little late.

I can't see this going anywhere, and hopefully it doesn't, but it's her way of coping, maybe once the dust settles she will see that it wasn't the news or youtubes fault. 

SAMI_JO
by Member on Jun. 22, 2013 at 1:28 PM

The mom's fault for not having parental controls on the computer. And the kids fault for watching something that they shouldn't have.

elkmomma
by on Jun. 22, 2013 at 1:43 PM

Until others walk in her shoes STFU.  Yes she could have blocked YouTube BEFORE the oldest turned 15,  cause kids have no idea how to turn those blocks off or go around them.  Yes there's a lot of stuff she could have done BEFORE the kids had internet access.  Should have or could have are moot points, hind sight is 20/20.  So now lets all jump on the band wagon and blame the mom who is NOW  grieving, scarred, shocked, and over whelmed with emotions few of you know , have been through, nor understand.  YEP lets just blame the mom.  She's not busy, she's lost in a whirlwind of emotions and dealing with kids who are going to end up with a number of issues.   But lets just blame the mom for lack of hind sight. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)