Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

Do You Ever Go To Your Parents For Advice?

They say "Mom knows best".  

Do you ever go to your mom/parents for advice when dealing with your teens?

by on Jun. 18, 2013 at 2:49 PM
Replies (11-20):
Janeite
by on Jun. 18, 2013 at 8:45 PM
1 mom liked this

Yes. My mom is my best friend! We've worked on our relationship a lot these past five years and I'm happy to say I can talk to her about anything now.

nnmfam
by on Jun. 18, 2013 at 9:18 PM
1 mom liked this
Yes they raised 4 good successful kids will take any advice I can get..
sabrtooth1
by on Jun. 18, 2013 at 9:40 PM

Since my dad died when I was 10, my mom when the oldest child was 12, dh's dad died when dh was 15, and his mom died 4 months after we got married --and 4 YEARS before we had kids-- the answer is NO.  But otherwise I would.  In a heartbeat.  My kids LOVED their grandma more than anything, were devastated when she died, and I know she would have had "their side".

sahlady
by Gold Member on Jun. 18, 2013 at 10:44 PM
1 mom liked this

mom - no way in hell.  I love her to death but do not think her advice is good, and my step father is .............. deep sigh............ he cant parent worth SHIT and thinks he is the smartest man on earth.

in laws - no.  they worry too much and get too involved.  they raised two amazing kids but there is no way to bounce an idea off them and not have them 100% involved until the issue gets resolved.

my dad - YES YES YES.  The man is moral, understanding, kind, loving, amazingly smart, intuitive, practical.... I could go on and on.  He is also brutally honest,  he tells it like it is and will point out the good, the bad, and the ugly.

Stelley
by on Jun. 18, 2013 at 11:18 PM
1 mom liked this

Definitely.  I go to my parents-in-law too.  In fact, I called my mom tonight because of an issue with my oldest DD.  My mom's first response was, "I remember those days".

FindersKeepers
by on Jun. 18, 2013 at 11:57 PM

I talk to my dad about 4 times a week.  We talk about everything including advice for how to deal with the kids when they are difficult.

I do not have a relationship with my birth mom and do not discuss problems with my stepmom because she is too judge mental. 

Manth
by on Jun. 19, 2013 at 1:18 AM
1 mom liked this

I can't.  My father passed away when they were 2 and 3, my mother when they were 5 and 6.

IF they were still with us, yes I probably would have sought my Mum's advice (or at least reassurance) a few times.  She was an awesome woman and I miss her terribly.

My father - often I find myself thinking "in this situation, what would my parents have done".  If I think my father would have done something in particular I do the opposite!  That's how much I miss HIS advice!

Msgme
by Bronze Member on Jun. 19, 2013 at 9:34 AM

My mother passed away 2 years ago but when she was still with us i would go to her all the time.  Except I would go with the opposite advice that she gave.  My mother and I didnt always have a good relationship.   Over the last few years of her life she started trying to fix things between us and we had gotten much closer and i loved her but as a parent with advice she was not so good 

MrsBLB
by Missi on Jun. 19, 2013 at 9:35 AM

Yep!   :)

Medusa686
by on Jun. 19, 2013 at 10:26 AM

No way. My mother comes across as instructing and too agressive. She was an awful mom so why ask her advice.  I ask my girlfriends for advice.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)