Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

Do you think teens should receive allowance for cleaning their ''own'' room?

Posted by on Jun. 19, 2013 at 1:33 PM
  • 31 Replies

I refuse to pay my teens: 15 and 13, to clean after themselves or their rooms. What are your views?

by on Jun. 19, 2013 at 1:33 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
GI_Jane230
by on Jun. 19, 2013 at 1:48 PM
1 mom liked this

Allowance should not be considered payment to do what they should be doing anyway.  But allowance gives them an opportunity to earn money and learn to manage that money.  I had one child that spent hers the second she got it, while her sister saved hers.  Then came a point where both of them wanted something and one had the money and the other didnt.  This was a hard lesson for the spender, who has now learned to save a little better. 

atlmom2
by Susie on Jun. 19, 2013 at 1:50 PM
No way. Do their laundry also.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
GI_Jane230
by on Jun. 19, 2013 at 1:58 PM
4 moms liked this

Think about this.  How much money do you spend on your kids per month, not including necessities?  Like money to go to a movie with friend, or buy a new CD, etc.  If it adds up to more than $40 or $50 consider giving each child $5-10 per week.  Then stop paying for the above.  If they want it, they save their money.  As I said before, my kids quickly learned. 

Allowance used correctly has nothing to do with chores.  It's about teaching financial responsibilty.  Chores are a separate issue and are done becaue you tell them to do it.  Allowance is a privilege not a right and can be withheld as punishment just like any other privilege (phone, TV, etc.). 

Buggy979
by Bronze Member on Jun. 19, 2013 at 1:59 PM
1 mom liked this
No... I don't get paid to clean, cook or be a taxi. So they will not either.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
warnerokla
by New Member on Jun. 19, 2013 at 2:10 PM

Thx everybody,Gi_Jane230..........it makes more since the way youve explained it. I spend way more than you quoted on mine so it would really help on my behalf

atlmom2
by Susie on Jun. 19, 2013 at 2:10 PM
1 mom liked this
Extra chores, yes.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lalalamama
by on Jun. 19, 2013 at 2:14 PM
1 mom liked this
I never tied allowance to chores. We all have to do things we don't get paid for. I wanted to teach them about duty and altruism, not " what's in it for me".
warnerokla
by New Member on Jun. 19, 2013 at 2:18 PM

Good posts!

GI_Jane230
by on Jun. 19, 2013 at 2:49 PM

Quoting lalalamama:

I never tied allowance to chores. We all have to do things we don't get paid for. I wanted to teach them about duty and altruism, not " what's in it for me".

Yes, that is my point.  They should do chores because it is their resposibility.  Allowance isnt payment for chores, is it a privilege and it actually saves me money.

KW1280
by Member on Jun. 19, 2013 at 2:56 PM
1 mom liked this
No but since she does her chores w/o me asking, I am willing to do extra things for her
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)