Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

Excited about returning to work...

Posted by on Jun. 19, 2013 at 2:49 PM
  • 10 Replies

So after 10 long months I am finally returning to work on Monday. The benefits are amazing, and sounds like a great company to work for.

My kids are 17 and 14, my son loves to cook, he hates doing chores but will do what I ask him too without much fuss.

My daughter is very lazy and it takes alot of fight to get her to do anything, however recently its not been as bad.  She doesn't mind cooking, just can't cook much, spaghetti is what she mainly makes. 

So we all sat down last night to make a schedule for chores and cooking since my husband and I wont be home until 5:30-5:45 the kids can at least get dinner started so we aren't eating at 8 or 9.  In 2 weeks my son starts band practice and has to be there at 6:30 in the evening 2 days a week.  I don't want us to get in the habit of oh lets just go pick something up and I am not big on crock pot cooking especially if noone is going to be home or at least get home to check on it. 

I just feel kinda overwhelmed about the new change in the schedule even though I have done 8-5 for 7 years before I got laid off.  I know everything will work out but before we usually ended up just going out to eat.  We are trying to catch up on bills we need another car and don't want to get back on the eating out 3-4 times a week cause too late to cook or whatever.  Any suggestions?  I can do casserole type meals and freeze them, I have done that before and it worked for the most part then got tired of mass cooking on sunday nights so I stopped.  Thanks

by on Jun. 19, 2013 at 2:49 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
luckysevenwow
by Platinum Member on Jun. 19, 2013 at 4:46 PM
1 mom liked this

For dinners, keep it simple. Soup and sandwiches, salads, buy a roasting chicken and shred it. they can make wraps, or just eat it. Make a large pot of beans, you can have been and cheese burritos, eggs and bean burritos for breakfast. Basically rethink what you see as dinner foods. They don't have to be 3 course meals.

MrsBLB
by on Jun. 19, 2013 at 5:23 PM

Great ideas!

Quoting luckysevenwow:

For dinners, keep it simple. Soup and sandwiches, salads, buy a roasting chicken and shred it. they can make wraps, or just eat it. Make a large pot of beans, you can have been and cheese burritos, eggs and bean burritos for breakfast. Basically rethink what you see as dinner foods. They don't have to be 3 course meals.

MrsBLB
by on Jun. 19, 2013 at 5:24 PM

Hamburger Helper type meals are quick and easy.  

PurpleHazey
by on Jun. 19, 2013 at 8:15 PM

It will be hard for the first week but it sounds like you have it pretty much together.

boys2men2soon
by Kimberly on Jun. 19, 2013 at 8:21 PM

Quoting MrsBLB:

Great ideas!

Quoting luckysevenwow:

Great advice!    

boys2men2soon
by Kimberly on Jun. 19, 2013 at 8:29 PM

Grilling (BBQ)  is quick and easy.    If you plan ahead, your daughter can toss some chicken is a marinade earlier in the day, or slice up the toppings for burgers...lettuce, tomato, onion, etc. and make the burger patties ahead of time, so when you get home you just toss it on the grill....  

I Love my crockpot!!!   If your kids are home during the day, they can keep an eye on it.

For your son......   Leftovers!    Whatever you have for dinner, make him a plate and refridgerate it for him to have for his dinner the next evening before he leaves for practice.

bizzeemom2717
by on Jun. 19, 2013 at 10:15 PM
I went back to work full time 2 years Ago. My youngest was 13 and I love it! Congrats on the job! My crockpot is my best friend! Also chopping and prepping for meals on weekends as much as u can. I bake and shread chix ahead of time and brown a bunch of ground beef on weekends and freeze. Also do the same with chopping and dicing veggies. Then the night before work throw all into crock pot or casserole and plug in in am or have kids put in oven.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bizzeemom2717
by on Jun. 19, 2013 at 10:16 PM
Yep for some reason the first week always seems so long at a new job! Emotionally draining or something? But then sooo much easier from there when you all get into the swing of things. Good luck and again congrats

Quoting PurpleHazey:

It will be hard for the first week but it sounds like you have it pretty much together.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
drfink
by Emily on Jun. 19, 2013 at 11:57 PM

I don't work except very ,very part time so dinner isn't an issue but running around after school hours does keep me a little busy.I read a great tip and love it.Plan your meals Italian marinated pork tender ,Asian chicken etc whatever your family likes...when you buy your meat mix up the appropriate marinade ,add the meat and freeze in ziplocks.The night before ,defrost in frig ,the next morning just dump in your meat in the crockpot or if you're baking or grilling in the evening the meat is ready.For me it seems easier to have the meats prepped in the freezer ready to go.

Good luck !

suesues
by Silver Member on Jun. 20, 2013 at 7:25 AM

make extra everynight and on weekends then leftover night s also on sunday make a baked ziti or something that last a few night I keep grilled chicken in fridge and there is nothing wrong with eggs at night for dinner

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN