Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

Allowances?

Posted by on Jun. 20, 2013 at 1:27 AM
  • 11 Replies

My teen started asking about getting an allowance for cleaning her room. I told her that I didn't think that cleaning her room would be something to have an allowance for. She has normal household chores to get allowance for but I don't think cleaning her room should be one of them. I'm not sure if i'm being fair or not. Any help?

by on Jun. 20, 2013 at 1:27 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
EyEmTuRtLe
by Bronze Member on Jun. 20, 2013 at 1:30 AM

Mine doesn't get an allowance for cleaning his or doing his own laundry. But just about everything else... yes.

chrissypea21
by on Jun. 20, 2013 at 1:33 AM
1 mom liked this

I think it is completely fair. She doesn't need paid for cleaning up her own mess. If she is doing things to help you with the kids because you are prego..or doing things that are hard for you to do now, I am thinking that a cash reward would show her you appreciate it. But if she asks for money anymore, I would tell her that she isn't getting paid to clean her own messes and that if she asks for money there is a lesser chance she will get any. That's my opinion.

amonkeymom
by Amy on Jun. 20, 2013 at 12:21 PM
1 mom liked this

I think you're being fair.

Jessiejack
by Silver Member on Jun. 20, 2013 at 12:51 PM

I don't pay my kids for cleaning up after themselves. So bedroom, playroom or even messes in the bathroom. Now washing the tub or kitchen floor yes I would pay for that.

drfink
by Emily on Jun. 20, 2013 at 1:37 PM
1 mom liked this

What does your mom and chrissypea21 's mom say ?Do what your mom says.

jojo_star
by on Jun. 21, 2013 at 12:25 PM

My kids get a set allowance, it isn't really based on their chores, though if they don't do them, they get deducted. We don't assign a set value to any chore. I think you are pretty fair. 

my2kidsmom9498
by Bronze Member on Jun. 21, 2013 at 12:32 PM

I expect the kids to keep up their stuff and help in the house.  We give allowences, but it is not tied to chores.  My kids make their own money having jobs outside of the house. 

Pnukey
by on Jun. 21, 2013 at 12:37 PM
1 mom liked this

Definitely fair! Do not pay her. Keeping a room tidy is good for learning how to take care of herself. My kids have chores and clean rooms, and no allowance.

Monsita
by Bronze Member on Jun. 21, 2013 at 7:27 PM

I am from A South America country; where allowances for doing chores does not exist!!

My husband being born and raised in this country; believes allowances are needed to teach kids the value of money....and what working for it is all about. Therefore, he deals with that in a way that I respect!!  once every two weeks kids clean the whole house...to get their allowance!!

02nana07
by Ida on Jun. 21, 2013 at 9:44 PM

don't pay her if she does it but charge her if you have to because she is responsible for her own messes

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)