Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

6/20 Today is...

Posted by on Jun. 20, 2013 at 7:14 AM
  • 14 Replies

eagles

NATIONAL AMERICAN EAGLE DAY

Celebrated each year on June 20, it is National American Eagle Day.  This day is set aside to honor our national symbol, raise awareness for protecting the Bald Eagle, to assist in the recovery of their natural environments and to take part in educational outreach.

The Bald Eagle is both the national bird and the national animal of the United States of America and appears on it”s Seal.

In the later 20th century, the Bald Eagle was on the brink of extirpation in the continental United States.  Eventually populations recovered and on July 12, 1995, the species was removed from the U.S. Federal Government’s List of Endangered Species and transferred to the List of Threatened Species.  On June 2007, it was removed from the List of Endangered and Threatened Wildlife in the Lower 48 States.

The Bald Eagle’s range includes most of Canada, Alaska, all of the contiguous United States and northern Mexico.  They can be found near large bodies of open water where there is an abundant food supply and old-growth trees for nesting.

Opportunistic feeders, Bald Eagle’s survive mainly on fish, swooping down and snatching them from the water.  Their nests are the largest nests of any North American bird and the largest tree nest ever recorded for any animal species.  A  Bald Eagle’s nest was measured at 13 ft deep and 8.2 ft wide and it weighed 1.1 ton.

The name “Bald Eagle” derives from an older meaning of “white headed” as the bird is actually no bald.  The adult eagle is mainly brown with a white head and tail.

For more information on National American Eagle Day see: 
http://www.eagles.org/

http://nationaldaycalendar.com/

What is your favorite kind of bird?

by on Jun. 20, 2013 at 7:14 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
fammatthews4
by Trisha on Jun. 20, 2013 at 7:35 AM

Cardinal is my favorite, but Bald Eagles are second on my list

atlmom2
by Susie on Jun. 20, 2013 at 8:38 AM
Bald Eagle. Hummingbirds
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
boys2men2soon
by Kimberly on Jun. 20, 2013 at 9:17 AM

Birds...Hmmmm.   I don't have a favorite bird..

MrsBLB
by Missi on Jun. 20, 2013 at 9:17 AM

Robins and Eagles.

Janeite
by on Jun. 20, 2013 at 10:52 AM

Bluebird.  

Barabell
by Barbara on Jun. 20, 2013 at 10:53 AM

robins

Hannahluvsdogs
by Bronze Member on Jun. 20, 2013 at 10:55 AM

I don't have a favorite. I have a love/hate relationship with the birds that come to our bird feeder. I like watching them and I love watching my cats watching them, but I hate that they dump half the birdseed out on the deck.

drfink
by Emily on Jun. 20, 2013 at 2:12 PM

me too

Quoting atlmom2:

Bald Eagle. Hummingbirds

PurpleHazey
by on Jun. 20, 2013 at 5:42 PM

I love watching them fly.

bizzeemom2717
by Jen on Jun. 20, 2013 at 7:40 PM

Love birds :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)