Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

15 Over-the-Top Rules for Kids From the 'Strictest Parents Ever'

Posted by   + Show Post

15 Over-the-Top Rules for Kids From the 'Strictest Parents Ever'

by Jeanne Sager

I have a confession to make: sometimes my daughter tells me that I'm the strictest parent EVER, and I laugh. Not in her face, but later, along with my husband who shakes his head and usually makes some comment about how lucky she really is.

I am not the most strict parent out there. But there's no use telling my kid that. There's really no use telling ANY kid that their parents are not the big meanies they think they are.

But as my kid gets older, I'm more than happy to collect proof that it could be a heckuva lot worse out there for her. Take the recent list of "rules" teenagers on Reddit say are enforced in their homes. They go from the normal to the absolutely absurd ... and beyond!

If you ever want to prove to your kids that they really have it pretty good, just dare them to compare themselves to the kids claiming they have the strictest parents ever ... who have the list of oppressive rules to back them up (that is, unless these are rules for your teenagers too?):

1. No watching TV alone.

2. [I am] forced to wear dresses.

3. No eating meat.

4. No watching cable television.

5. No watching any movie over a PG rating.

6. No having friends over.

7. If I leave the house, I have to send a text to my mom every hour to update her.

8. I'm not allowed to spend any of my own money.

9. Not allowed to stay up past 10:30, even though it's summer vacation.

10. No sitting with my door closed.

11. Not allowed to read Harry Potter or Lemony Snicket.

12. I'm not allowed to listen to much of the mainstream music out there.

13. Now I'm taking tutoring lessons over the summer for all subjects I didn't get an A in ... because I got a B.

14. My mom assigned her own summer homework.

15. No going anywhere without a parent present.

What do you think? Are these rules over-the-top or do you have them beat?

by on Jun. 20, 2013 at 7:45 PM
Replies (11-20):
GleekingOut
by Silver Member on Jun. 21, 2013 at 12:32 AM

haha -an aunt once yelled at DD for sleeping with the door shut. I'm like "um. What? how crazy do you have to be to control how your kids sleep?" I can understand ASKING to keep it open because there's a nice breeze - but not controlling it

Quoting Barabell:

I found #10 and #11 to be the funniest! I'm assuming they mean for changing clothes. I wonder if he/she has to sleep with the door open too?

My son definitely has it pretty dang good too!!

Quoting boys2men2soon:

I'm still laughing at #10.   I wonder if he/she is allowed to stand with the door closed?

My kids have it pretty dang good!  

Jinx-Troublex3
by Bronze Member on Jun. 21, 2013 at 12:37 AM
DS isn't allowed to have his door closed during school hours. I tried allowing that and he would screw off and not get his work done.
suesues
by Silver Member on Jun. 21, 2013 at 8:52 AM
1 mom liked this

crazy I would rather be in jail

mjande4
by Member on Jun. 21, 2013 at 9:17 AM
2 moms liked this

Wow!  Those are nuts!  Of course, kids who live in homes that are this strict are the ones who go CRAZY when they leave for college/career.  I'm also thinking, as a parent, that is way too much work to monitor/enforce. 

Barabell
by Barbara on Jun. 21, 2013 at 9:40 AM

Quoting Jinx-Troublex3:

DS isn't allowed to have his door closed during school hours. I tried allowing that and he would screw off and not get his work done.

Completely understandable. I know my son would screw off too instead of doing work. 

Barabell
by Barbara on Jun. 21, 2013 at 9:48 AM

Quoting mjande4:

Wow!  Those are nuts!  Of course, kids who live in homes that are this strict are the ones who go CRAZY when they leave for college/career.  I'm also thinking, as a parent, that is way too much work to monitor/enforce. 

I agree. I'm loving that I can give my son more freedom now, and one of those reasons is because it gives me more freedom in return.

mjande4
by Member on Jun. 21, 2013 at 9:52 AM

Exactly!  My kids and niece who are 14, 12, 11, and 10 wanted to go to the movies yesterday.  They picked the movie, the time, etc.  and I dropped them off.  I came back to my house and realized I had the house to MYSELF.  I sort of didn't know what to do, BUT it was awesome!  LOL

Quoting Barabell:

Quoting mjande4:

I agree. I'm loving that I can give my son more freedom now, and one of those reasons is because it gives me more freedom in return.

Txlisa7969
by Bronze Member on Jun. 21, 2013 at 9:59 AM
1 mom liked this

The only rule I even come close to is the bedtime rule.  During the week cell phones have to be put up and they need to at least head to their bedrooms at 10pm.  We are busy and still get up fairly early during the week even though it's Summer.  On the weekends they don't have bedtimes and I am more lax with the cell phones.  Oh and my 6 yr old is required to read a certain amount each day if he wants computer or gaming time.

ejwhite_99
by Bronze Member on Jun. 21, 2013 at 10:10 AM
2 moms liked this

I always say to 'to each its own".  Some of these rules probably would make a child go wild when they get their first taste of freedom but others I believe are just a choice of lifestyle.  Like #3, no eating meat.  I'm assuming the parents are vegetarians and don't believe in eating meat.  That's not mean or strict, its just their lifestyle.  And typically as parents, whatever your lifestyle is so will be your children's as long as you are raising them.  Then there's #11, I've heard of Christian parents not wanting their children to watch nor read Harry Potter because of the demonic references in the story.  Makes perfect sense to me if that's the angle you're coming from.  I can't say nothing about #14 because I have summer packets for my kids to do.  Often times kids will forget a lot of what they learned throughout the year over summer break.  So as to keep their minds going I have work that shouldn't take much more than 30mins to an hour to complete. Just like they spend all day working during the school year and a little time for play, during the summer they spend all day playing at camp and a little bit of time doing something constructive that will benefit them over the long run.

The ones I really think are a bit much are: #'s 13, 7, 1and maybe 15.  For #15 I would like to believe that child has been a troublemaker and the parent has just lost all trust for the kid.  I just don't even understand #8.  Why give them the money if you don't want them to spend it?

my2kidsmom9498
by Bronze Member on Jun. 21, 2013 at 10:29 AM
1 mom liked this

You give them money and don't let them spend it, the same reason you don't let them shut the door, or have friends over. you don't trust them, or you are just obsessed with control.  I am imagining the parents walking with a billy club and bars on the windows and doors. What ever, I believe that kids need rules, but also need to learn for themselves the ways of the world.  Like a parent who does everything for the kid, laundry, cleaning, etc...and the kid has not a clue in college and leaves, that lifestyle did nothing good for that young adult.  The same will hold true for kids who are not allowed to make any choices.  My dd roommate at college this year was on a super tight leash, and landed up going home, because too many choices had to be made and she was not prepared for them.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN