Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

15 Over-the-Top Rules for Kids From the 'Strictest Parents Ever'

Posted by   + Show Post

15 Over-the-Top Rules for Kids From the 'Strictest Parents Ever'

by Jeanne Sager

I have a confession to make: sometimes my daughter tells me that I'm the strictest parent EVER, and I laugh. Not in her face, but later, along with my husband who shakes his head and usually makes some comment about how lucky she really is.

I am not the most strict parent out there. But there's no use telling my kid that. There's really no use telling ANY kid that their parents are not the big meanies they think they are.

But as my kid gets older, I'm more than happy to collect proof that it could be a heckuva lot worse out there for her. Take the recent list of "rules" teenagers on Reddit say are enforced in their homes. They go from the normal to the absolutely absurd ... and beyond!

If you ever want to prove to your kids that they really have it pretty good, just dare them to compare themselves to the kids claiming they have the strictest parents ever ... who have the list of oppressive rules to back them up (that is, unless these are rules for your teenagers too?):

1. No watching TV alone.

2. [I am] forced to wear dresses.

3. No eating meat.

4. No watching cable television.

5. No watching any movie over a PG rating.

6. No having friends over.

7. If I leave the house, I have to send a text to my mom every hour to update her.

8. I'm not allowed to spend any of my own money.

9. Not allowed to stay up past 10:30, even though it's summer vacation.

10. No sitting with my door closed.

11. Not allowed to read Harry Potter or Lemony Snicket.

12. I'm not allowed to listen to much of the mainstream music out there.

13. Now I'm taking tutoring lessons over the summer for all subjects I didn't get an A in ... because I got a B.

14. My mom assigned her own summer homework.

15. No going anywhere without a parent present.

What do you think? Are these rules over-the-top or do you have them beat?

by on Jun. 20, 2013 at 7:45 PM
Replies (21-29):
Hannahluvsdogs
by Bronze Member on Jun. 21, 2013 at 11:05 AM

#9 is a rule my teen has. Since I've struggled with a sleep disorder my whole life I insist on good sleep hygiene for my kids. They are lucky that they didn't inherit the disorder, but I don't want them sleep deprived since I know from experience what it does.

jojo_star
by on Jun. 21, 2013 at 12:27 PM
1 mom liked this

wow. those are insane. Besides 13. We hold with that, though we don't actually hire tutors, we just make sure that they do some extra work. Usually we catch that though before the final grade is less than an A, and we only do that because we know they are capable of A work. The rest sound more like some kind of weird religious cult thing. 

Barabell
by Barbara on Jun. 21, 2013 at 1:50 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Hannahluvsdogs:

#9 is a rule my teen has. Since I've struggled with a sleep disorder my whole life I insist on good sleep hygiene for my kids. They are lucky that they didn't inherit the disorder, but I don't want them sleep deprived since I know from experience what it does.

That's the only one I came close to also. My son is still 13, so we still have a school night bedtime. Plus on the weekends and summer vacation, he knows I don't like him being up all night. Usually I'll remind him around 10:30 to go to bed soon, but sometimes he'll still stay up for another hour.

SuperLooneyMom
by Member on Jun. 22, 2013 at 12:37 AM
Well it's a " my house, my rules" matter

I agree with half of the list. And I'd prolly add to it. Kids have it way to easy.

My parents use to put locks on the tv cords, chain lock the fridge and freezer. All cabinets had padlocks, food was locked in parents room. We were locked in our room,
I never had friends over cause our house was rancid and gross. My mom MADE me wear dresses even past 18 yrs old(just because I'm a girl). I had to be home by this time from school or work. Only movies we watched were Disney and whatever was old school comedy. Mom had a bazillion keys because everything was locked up .

Oh don't get me started. Growing up sucked and my kids get a taste of it.
SAMI_JO
by on Jun. 22, 2013 at 1:39 PM

Many of these I use:

5. No watching any movie over a PG rating.

6. No having friends over.

9. Not allowed to stay up past 10:30, even though it's summer vacation.

10. No sitting with my door closed.

12. I'm not allowed to listen to much of the mainstream music out there.

15. No going anywhere without a parent present.

You can say that I am too strict, but there are reasons for each one.

babie113
by on Jun. 22, 2013 at 3:13 PM

those are crazy

02nana07
by Ida on Jun. 22, 2013 at 6:11 PM

Glad those aren't my parents

Bodacious79
by on Jun. 22, 2013 at 6:27 PM

This is really sad.

bexsmum
by Bronze Member on Jun. 22, 2013 at 9:58 PM

Oh my lord if I tried these with my kids when they were teens they would of been looking up the phone number to have me commited. I know I am very liberal with my kids,but they all turned out to be well functioning adults /teens and are contributing members of society. No teen pregnacies, no dropouts, no issues with drugs, no issues with the law. Only twice mine were brought home by the police. First time DD was forgotten by her brothers at school when she 5 and I called my girlfriend as DH was deployed and she sent one of the MP's sitting in the office to pick her up(DH was in that unit).Second time DS number one did take your kid to work day at the MP station on base as DH was in a secure office and they dropped him off after work for me.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)