Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Today was a good day

Posted by on Jun. 21, 2013 at 1:55 AM
  • 21 Replies
1 mom liked this
Today was my niece's 17th birthday, and officially the first day that she is living with us. From everything that happened last night (refer to "Am I in over my head?!" post), I wanted today to be a good day for her. I was going to surprise her with a kitten today, but she wouldn't stop talking about how she really wished she could get one. I have a horrible poker face, and when she seemed like she was starting to get depressed I spilled the beans and told her that dh was picking up an orange kitten on his way home after work. After that, she was so giddy. She actually reminded me of a little girl I once knew rather than a kid who's been forced into adulthood way too soon.

She's been clinging to that kitten since it's gotten home. It's name is Moo by the way lol. We played some board games and baked a cake together. Actually, they were brownies with peanut butter frosting, but she was happy nonetheless. I did a horrible job decorating it. HORRIBLE. But I had fun making the cake with her, and we sang happy birthday together. It was silly, but we had fun. I just tried to do things for her that my mom used to do for me when I needed some cheering up.

by on Jun. 21, 2013 at 1:55 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
moobahlalala
by on Jun. 21, 2013 at 2:05 AM
1 mom liked this

I didn't have any candles on hand, so we had to improvise. Instead of blowing out the candles, she filled in the icing. It was kind of last minute, because I could have sworn the 20th was tomorrow.
moobahlalala
by on Jun. 21, 2013 at 2:10 AM

She couldn't thank me enough for her kitten. She named it Moo. I'm not sure why, but hey if it makes her happy. I'm hoping having this little guy to take care of will lift her spirits.

moobahlalala
by on Jun. 21, 2013 at 2:12 AM

First time she smiled all day, and the smile stayed on for the rest of the day. Honestly, I think this was the best part about today.

Txlisa7969
by Bronze Member on Jun. 21, 2013 at 7:05 AM

I am glad you were able to make her birthday and first day with your family a happy occasion for her.  Oh and from the picture of her holding her new kitty, it's nice to see my YDD isn't the only one that wears so many braclets and arm bands you can't even see her wrists lol.

PurpleHazey
by Angie on Jun. 21, 2013 at 9:09 AM
1 mom liked this

Well happy birthday for her.

mumsy2three
by Shauna on Jun. 21, 2013 at 12:37 PM
1 mom liked this

Glad she had a good day.

moobahlalala
by on Jun. 21, 2013 at 12:46 PM
I can't remember the last time I actually have seen her arms. Whenever my ds finds one, he saves it for her until he sees her again.

Quoting Txlisa7969:

I am glad you were able to make her birthday and first day with your family a happy occasion for her.  Oh and from the picture of her holding her new kitty, it's nice to see my YDD isn't the only one that wears so many braclets and arm bands you can't even see her wrists lol.

Barabell
by Barbara on Jun. 21, 2013 at 1:18 PM

So cute!!!

Quoting moobahlalala:

She couldn't thank me enough for her kitten. She named it Moo. I'm not sure why, but hey if it makes her happy. I'm hoping having this little guy to take care of will lift her spirits.

Barabell
by Barbara on Jun. 21, 2013 at 1:19 PM
1 mom liked this

I'm glad your niece had a great birthday! I hope this is a good start to a new beginning for her.

moobahlalala
by on Jun. 21, 2013 at 2:16 PM
1 mom liked this
I hope so, too. She hasn't put the kitty down at all. She seems pretty happy.

Quoting Barabell:

I'm glad your niece had a great birthday! I hope this is a good start to a new beginning for her.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)