Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Today was my niece's 17th birthday, and officially the first day that she is living with us. From everything that happened last night (refer to "Am I in over my head?!" post), I wanted today to be a good day for her. I was going to surprise her with a kitten today, but she wouldn't stop talking about how she really wished she could get one. I have a horrible poker face, and when she seemed like she was starting to get depressed I spilled the beans and told her that dh was picking up an orange kitten on his way home after work. After that, she was so giddy. She actually reminded me of a little girl I once knew rather than a kid who's been forced into adulthood way too soon.

She's been clinging to that kitten since it's gotten home. It's name is Moo by the way lol. We played some board games and baked a cake together. Actually, they were brownies with peanut butter frosting, but she was happy nonetheless. I did a horrible job decorating it. HORRIBLE. But I had fun making the cake with her, and we sang happy birthday together. It was silly, but we had fun. I just tried to do things for her that my mom used to do for me when I needed some cheering up.

by on Jun. 21, 2013 at 1:55 AM
Replies (11-20):
my2kidsmom9498
by Bronze Member on Jun. 21, 2013 at 2:22 PM
1 mom liked this

How wonderful!!

02nana07
by Ida on Jun. 21, 2013 at 3:33 PM
1 mom liked this

happy birthday to her and I hope the kitten is what she needs I always felt better when I had a pet.

drfink
by Emily on Jun. 21, 2013 at 5:11 PM
1 mom liked this

What a truly fantastic way to start her "official " first day with yall.

Happy Birthday to her.

Moo is precious.My daughter loved those bracelets in m.s. and h.s.. Her cake...brownies and peanut butter icing sounds delish.My teens would love that.(so would I ...but they're my excuse )

boys2men2soon
by Kimberly on Jun. 21, 2013 at 6:18 PM
1 mom liked this

Sounds like you are off to a wonderful start!!!     Everything is better with a kitten!

bizzeemom2717
by Jen on Jun. 21, 2013 at 8:58 PM
1 mom liked this

Sounds like a great day! Thanks for sharing the pictures!

luckysevenwow
by Platinum Member on Jun. 21, 2013 at 9:18 PM
1 mom liked this
Happy birthday to her, so glad she had a good day!

Kitty is super cute, and I have to say she looks younger then 17 :)
SAMI_JO
by Member on Jun. 22, 2013 at 1:43 PM

KUDOS TO YOU!!!!! I love it when people step up to the plate and take on, what someone else couldn't/wouldn't do.

moobahlalala
by on Jun. 22, 2013 at 2:24 PM
1 mom liked this
Thanks. I'm sure I'm in for an adventure. :)
Quoting SAMI_JO:

KUDOS TO YOU!!!!! I love it when people step up to the plate and take on, what someone else couldn't/wouldn't do.

SAMI_JO
by Member on Jun. 22, 2013 at 8:10 PM
I am friends with a family at my church who have taken in a bipolar teenage girl. Now that is a handful. But they soon hope to get full custody of her, right now they only have temporary custody, but it will all work out, give these kids love that they weren't getting, and God will handle the rest. God bless you and your family.
moobahlalala
by on Jun. 22, 2013 at 11:09 PM
1 mom liked this
Aww thank you

Quoting SAMI_JO:

I am friends with a family at my church who have taken in a bipolar teenage girl. Now that is a handful. But they soon hope to get full custody of her, right now they only have temporary custody, but it will all work out, give these kids love that they weren't getting, and God will handle the rest. God bless you and your family.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)