Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

What do you think?

Posted by on Jun. 22, 2013 at 10:53 AM
  • 28 Replies

So, my oldest is turning 14 in two weeks.  The ONLY thing he asked for was a laptop, which we told him he's not getting - he only wants it for gaming, and he already has a Kindle Fire, Netbook and access to our desktop and one of our laptops...not to mention a TV w/Roku which has some games on it as well.  He also has handhelds (DS, an old Gameboy) and we as a family have Wii, PS2 and XBox...so a laptop for gaming???  Not gonna happen.

So, I've been asking and asking for ideas of what he wants & he gave me ONE item - a PC game.

So, I went ahead and got what *I* thought he'd like - but now I'm second guessing myself on if these will be decent enough gifts.  I welcome your thoughts & feedback!

I went with two "themes"

1. Update your teen room
  2. Extend the value of your Kindle Fire

For the room which is black/silver/dark red:

• New bedspread (his is worn and holy due to the dog's claws)
  • New, hip red desk lamp
  • New lounge chair for watching TV, hanging out, whatever.

For the Kindle Fire

• A red/black alarm clock & Kindle docking station with speakers
  • An anti-glare screen protector (he complains when he can't see it in the sun)
  • The Kane Chronicles (set of 3 books delivered to his Kindle)

Plus, I got him the one PC game he asked for.

How does this sound for a 14 year old boy?  I know his extended family is getting him gift cards, and as the parent I prefer to get him ACTUAL gifts.

Though, I did consider adding cash - packaged up in some fun/unique way - in addition to the rest.

What do you think?

by on Jun. 22, 2013 at 10:53 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Hottmomma607
by Trica on Jun. 22, 2013 at 11:06 AM

I think it's fine but we give our kids $10 for every year and they spend it on what they want!

But those gifts sound practical&good!

atlmom2
by Susie on Jun. 22, 2013 at 11:17 AM
1 mom liked this

I got my room totally redorated while I was at camp around his age.  What a surprise and I loved it.  Best thing ever was that I had a pink princess phone in my room.  I had new carpet, paint and bedding when I got back. 

the3Rs
by Member on Jun. 22, 2013 at 11:34 AM

I will probably give him some cash, but the last time he had extra $$ to burn he spent it ALL on candy - Yikes! 

Quoting Hottmomma607:

I think it's fine but we give our kids $10 for every year and they spend it on what they want!

But those gifts sound practical&good!

sabrtooth1
by on Jun. 22, 2013 at 12:42 PM

Unless he is gay, the usual 14yo boy could care less how his room is decorated.  Plus, it sounds like he spends an awful lot of time sitting on his behind.  I would get him a skate board, in-line skates, a nice bike, a tennis raquet, passes to the local pool, etc.

jhelmke
by Member on Jun. 22, 2013 at 12:51 PM

Have you thought about tickets to a events that he likes.  I know my son wants better phone  and his own camera.

the3Rs
by Member on Jun. 22, 2013 at 1:47 PM
2 moms liked this
Sooo...when I asked for feedback I expected it to be delivered in a mature manner - more like the parents - not the teens.

He is not gay, but he has been wanting to make his room less kiddish. (Oh & stereotype much????)

I mentioned all of the devices to highlight why we refused to get him the laptop. He doesn't sit on his butt all day playing them all.

They (all 3 boys) spend 1 hour outside per hour in front of screens (TV, Video games, computer). Often ending up spending much more outside.

He has one very good road bike & one dirt bike. He has a scooter but prefers the bike. He is an avid runner on the cross country team & plays with his brothers outside.

So...yeah. He's not in need of more active things, & if I came up with more things along those lines it's not something that would really make HIM happy - which is kind of the point of his birthday.

But thank you for your feedback that what I got him sucks. Now I'm not only 2nd guessing, but 3rd guessing myself :(

Quoting sabrtooth1:

Unless he is gay, the usual 14yo boy could care less how his room is decorated.  Plus, it sounds like he spends an awful lot of time sitting on his behind.  I would get him a skate board, in-line skates, a nice bike, a tennis raquet, passes to the local pool, etc.

the3Rs
by Member on Jun. 22, 2013 at 1:49 PM
Yes, but there just aren't many events around here to go to. I thought about movie passes for him & a friend...??

We updated his phone right before his D.C. Trip & he's never shown interest in a camera.

Thanks!

Quoting jhelmke:

Have you thought about tickets to a events that he likes.  I know my son wants better phone  and his own camera.

jhelmke
by Member on Jun. 22, 2013 at 2:26 PM

I feel you   about events. My son a soccer nut. We travel 2 hours for  professional games.  My other thought would be paying for camp he wants to attend.    I see he likes cross country how about gear.   My son will trun 14 this year and I feel your pain.   I am redoing his room do to his request for more mature.   I know you do not want gift cards,but what about for music so he can get new music to run with.   My son uses his ipod allot when he runs.    Good luick

the3Rs
by Member on Jun. 22, 2013 at 2:47 PM
Good idea on the music - I'm sure I can find something. I'm not really sure what kind of CC gear to get??

*sigh* was so much simpler when blocks & legos were thrilling gifts :)

Quoting jhelmke:

I feel you   about events. My son a soccer nut. We travel 2 hours for  professional games.  My other thought would be paying for camp he wants to attend.    I see he likes cross country how about gear.   My son will trun 14 this year and I feel your pain.   I am redoing his room do to his request for more mature.   I know you do not want gift cards,but what about for music so he can get new music to run with.   My son uses his ipod allot when he runs.    Good luick

jhelmke
by Member on Jun. 22, 2013 at 3:07 PM

My son likes allot workout gear for when it is cold.    Since he likes cross country how about running magazine.?  When I pick up my son shoes for cross country they had allot of clothes and gadgets for milage and time.   Here allot of parents do gift cards for food places so when the boys hang out together and are hungry they don't have to worry about carrying money.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN