Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My niece asked me about birth control today. She said she's not sexually active at the moment, but she wants to be on it just in case. She started telling me that she wants Implanon, and I told her absolutely not she cannot use bc that involves implanting a foreign object into her arm. I've seen so many girls where there's have broken off and some who couldn't get the whole thing removed. She really doesn't want to take another pill, and went on to ask about the shot. I'm just... This is a lot to take on so fast. Am I even allowed to get her bc?!
by on Jun. 22, 2013 at 11:36 PM
Replies (11-20):
GarysWife1991
by on Jun. 23, 2013 at 8:33 AM
1 mom liked this

My oldest was on the patch until she started getting rashes from it and now she's on the nuva ring.  I'd suggest PP or the gyn and discuss all the options.  Also like mumsy said...condoms are a must always!

drfink
by Emily on Jun. 23, 2013 at 1:50 PM
1 mom liked this

Planned Parenthood or your County hospital may have a teen health clinic.I have worked and volunteered at our county hospital's teen health clinic.The medical school associated with the hospital guides us on helping bc choices for teens.One of the things I do is bedside visitation with new teen mothers ,I help them  pick b.c. before leaving the hospital.Always condoms and other b.c. The medical school encourages the shot and the Implanon.The reasons behind these choices are the risk of problems for a teen pregnancy is higher than the problems associated with the implant and shot.There is also a higher compliance with the implant and shot than the pill .

Hope this doesn't come off as me telling you what your niece should use , just sharing the p.ov. and the why of the clinic I volunteer with.

So glad she feels safe discussing this with you ,you are such a positive in her life.

moobahlalala
by on Jun. 23, 2013 at 2:28 PM
Thank you for the feedback. It's good to know these facts. I'm glad she trusts me, too. She opened up about a lot of things lately that just break my heart, but I'm thankful to have her trust in me.
Quoting drfink:

Planned Parenthood or your County hospital may have a teen health clinic.I have worked and volunteered at our county hospital's teen health clinic.The medical school associated with the hospital guides us on helping bc choices for teens.One of the things I do is bedside visitation with new teen mothers ,I help them  pick b.c. before leaving the hospital.Always condoms and other b.c. The medical school encourages the shot and the Implanon.The reasons behind these choices are the risk of problems for a teen pregnancy is higher than the problems associated with the implant and shot.There is also a higher compliance with the implant and shot than the pill .

Hope this doesn't come off as me telling you what your niece should use , just sharing the p.ov. and the why of the clinic I volunteer with.

So glad she feels safe discussing this with you ,you are such a positive in her life.

TranquilMind
by Bronze Member on Jun. 23, 2013 at 3:35 PM

Eww.  I know someone that had something break off and cause problems in her body, though she was an adult at the time.

No way... if she MUST have sex, there are barrier methods.  Use them! Messing with your hormones raises the risks of reproductive cancers later.

Barabell
by Barbara on Jun. 23, 2013 at 9:07 PM

Quoting mumsy2three:

I'd call for an appointment for planned parenthood. I would stress the use of condoms as well, they are the only thing that can protect against stds, if she chooses to become sexually active.

I agree with this.

From personal experience, I wouldn't recommend the depo shot. I experienced too many negative side effects. Other methods have less side effects and are just as effective.

Shopsha0911
by on Jun. 24, 2013 at 8:12 AM
1 mom liked this

Ask her pf she wants a woman or man gyno and then go from there. If she is thinking about bc then she is considering sex. Just be thankful she came to you before sex instead of after. 

LoveonHollySt
by on Jun. 24, 2013 at 8:44 AM

If her mom is around this should be left up to her to decide.  My dd is only 3 right now so it is a little hard to think about but I wouldn't want her on anything until she is at least sixteen.

GarysWife1991
by on Jun. 24, 2013 at 9:29 AM

Also, when I took my oldest to the gyn they gave her a bag of condom samples so I'd check and see if you can get that too. 

MrsBLB
by Missi on Jun. 24, 2013 at 9:35 AM

If you have a Planned Parenthood near by, I would get her an appointment there.  They can go over all the pros and cons of the different types.

You have a right to your opinions.  It's good that she wants to be safe and she is comfortable talking with you.  :)

PurpleHazey
by Angie on Jun. 24, 2013 at 11:18 AM

Why is she asking you? why isn't she talking with her mom about using it? I would be very angry if my daughter spoke to someone else before she spoke with me.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)