Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens
My niece asked me about birth control today. She said she's not sexually active at the moment, but she wants to be on it just in case. She started telling me that she wants Implanon, and I told her absolutely not she cannot use bc that involves implanting a foreign object into her arm. I've seen so many girls where there's have broken off and some who couldn't get the whole thing removed. She really doesn't want to take another pill, and went on to ask about the shot. I'm just... This is a lot to take on so fast. Am I even allowed to get her bc?!
by on Jun. 22, 2013 at 11:36 PM
Replies (31-38):
chell77
by Member on Jun. 24, 2013 at 8:32 PM
1 mom liked this

My oldest talk to her dad about bc and about sex. She trust him more then me because I will tell my family what is going on. It her step dad anyway he more there for my girls. She told me after she talk to her dad. And her dad and I talk. He made an appt and I told her if she cant talk to us to talk to her aunt that she trust. She trust my sil.  And she want me and my sil go with her to ob/gyn but we want her on the pill first. My sil is same height and same weight and she been so many so she told her what it not recommend her because her weight and she is skinny. So we went and she want to be alone in the room. We ask if she want male or female and we look up on the clinic about which dr. So she just started the pills yesterday. I dont have any problem about her trust her dad more then me but she can open up to us anything. Same as my youngest they can tell us what on their mind and we dont judge. We talk about it.

destiny83
by on Jun. 24, 2013 at 8:34 PM
2 moms liked this

Ehhh, it depends how you think her mom would react. If you think she will likely react bitter because her daughter came to you to do something about it then I wouldn't bother asking. I also wouldn't accompany her either. I would probably just tell my neice that first things first- you need to talk to planned parenthood or another clinic about having an exam, and any other concerns. I would help her to make an appointment, take her, pick her up, and whatever she decided to do is what SHE decided to do. She has a right to healthcare and to be in charge of her body. You would just be showing her how to do so- not influencing her one way or the other. GL.

Niccalyn
by Bronze Member on Jun. 25, 2013 at 3:02 PM
1 mom liked this

I took my 16 year old daughter to the OB/Gyn in March to put her on BC.  We decided on Implanon (which is actually now called Nexplanon, due to the fact that they improved the insertion method so that it no longer gets 'lost,' requiring surgical removal) because my 22 year old niece has been on it since she was 16 and it has been wonderful for her--no side effects, and no periods for the last 6 years!  Unfortunately, my daughter had every side effect in the book--headaches, mood swings, and almost constant bleeding for 2 1/2 months. Also--and this is something you don't read about--it was extremely obvious under my daughter's skin.  The doctor said it is because she has so little subcutaneous body fat--there was nothing there to conceal it.  Kids at school were constantly asking her what it was! The only side effect she didn't mind was a slight weight gain, as she is very thin (hence the lack of body fat) and it gave her more of a figure!  Unfortunately we decided along with her doctor that the side effects just weren't worth it--we had it removed a month ago.  So it is very individualized--no way to know how the body will respond unless you take a risk and try it.  Also, just FYI--in my experience, a girl won't as for birth control 'just in case.'  She is either having sex or has come dangerously close to it.  You may want to sit her down and have a heart-to-heart with her to make sure she is emotionally ready for all the drama and stress becoming sexually active at her age will bring.  Best of luck!

moobahlalala
by on Jun. 25, 2013 at 3:12 PM

Quoting Niccalyn:

I took my 16 year old daughter to the OB/Gyn in March to put her on BC.  We decided on Implanon (which is actually now called Nexplanon, due to the fact that they improved the insertion method so that it no longer gets 'lost,' requiring surgical removal) because my 22 year old niece has been on it since she was 16 and it has been wonderful for her--no side effects, and no periods for the last 6 years!  Unfortunately, my daughter had every side effect in the book--headaches, mood swings, and almost constant bleeding for 2 1/2 months. Also--and this is something you don't read about--it was extremely obvious under my daughter's skin.  The doctor said it is because she has so little subcutaneous body fat--there was nothing there to conceal it.  Kids at school were constantly asking her what it was! The only side effect she didn't mind was a slight weight gain, as she is very thin (hence the lack of body fat) and it gave her more of a figure!  Unfortunately we decided along with her doctor that the side effects just weren't worth it--we had it removed a month ago.  So it is very individualized--no way to know how the body will respond unless you take a risk and try it.  Also, just FYI--in my experience, a girl won't as for birth control 'just in case.'  She is either having sex or has come dangerously close to it.  You may want to sit her down and have a heart-to-heart with her to make sure she is emotionally ready for all the drama and stress becoming sexually active at her age will bring.  Best of luck!

Linus77
by Member on Jun. 25, 2013 at 9:06 PM

What about her mom? Shouldn't that be HER job?

moobahlalala
by on Jun. 25, 2013 at 9:12 PM
It absolutely should be her job, but she's not doing her job as a mother 90% of the time, so I am having to step in as the parent.

Quoting Linus77:

What about her mom? Shouldn't that be HER job?

butzi
by Member on Jun. 27, 2013 at 12:10 AM
1 mom liked this

for one thing be thrilled that she is talking to you about this, but you should also be talking to her about the fact that there are consequences beyond pregnancy and disease with sex. Girls attach  differently than most boys when they engage in sexual relationships and will put up with atrocious behaviour because of that fact. If they delay sex until their brains are a little more developed they learn to discern what they need from relationships better (at least sometimes) but open dialogue is really helpful

moobahlalala
by on Jun. 27, 2013 at 11:16 AM
Thank you, that's really good advice.
Quoting butzi:

for one thing be thrilled that she is talking to you about this, but you should also be talking to her about the fact that there are consequences beyond pregnancy and disease with sex. Girls attach  differently than most boys when they engage in sexual relationships and will put up with atrocious behaviour because of that fact. If they delay sex until their brains are a little more developed they learn to discern what they need from relationships better (at least sometimes) but open dialogue is really helpful

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)