Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

If you or your child did NOT take the PSAT or SAT, please say Why

Posted by   + Show Post

[I am not currently the mom of a teen, but I did get my SD when she was 14 & I thought this was the best place to ask this question.]

In my former career, I counseled high school kids about college and then college kids about staying in college. The family I am closest friends with is non-custodial of his eldest daughter. Over the past 9 years I have seen her on holiday and summer visits. She is a really wonderful girl. I have never met her mother & stepfather.

The girl is now about to turn 18 and is entering senior year, so she is considering her college options. She wants to enter the health care field. I don't have a lot to work with as she can't get her transcript since it is summer, and she didn't take the PSAT, although it was offered. She has dyslexia and ADHD and has struggled a lot in school. My guess is that some of the classes she took were Special Ed.   

Tomorrow, I will take her to our local community college for the Accuplacer test. This is the test that many colleges use for actual placement in college courses. The results are not shared between colleges. The test is produced by the College Board, the same vendor that makes the SAT. The results will give her a good idea of the areas where she needs to improve and she can work on those in the next year before she takes the test at the community college she will attend.

My SD raised the question about why wouldn't the parents insist that she take the PSAT when everyone else took it? I know this girl has test anxiety and am guessing that she didn't want to see a low score. However, SD then pointed out that it makes sense to practice taking tests if you intend to go to college, especially in the health field where there will be lots of tests.

So, if you or your child did NOT take the PSAT or SAT, then why not? Thanks for reading.

by on Jun. 23, 2013 at 8:39 AM
Replies (11-20):
Lorriane
by on Jun. 23, 2013 at 11:21 AM

My son took the PSAT but not the SAT. He did not need to take either because it is not what the community college uses. The community colleges have their own testing process.

Verrine
by on Jun. 23, 2013 at 11:40 AM
1 mom liked this

(My son is "twice exceptional" as he has ADHD and is gifted. It makes his education a challenge. He has just gotten a 504.)

I am trying to help this girl because I care about her. She has struggled in school. I am hoping to give her and her parents a better idea of where she stands with regards to college. I am hoping that my knowledge and experience will help her. I don't want to her to fall flat when she gets to college, so yes, I am considering her abilities.    

My SD is an adult and has just completed her bachelors degree in Early Childhood Education. She knows the family and the girl and was providing her opinion based on her experience. Her point is that if someone wants to go to college a year from now, why wouldn't her parents have her take the standardized test?

Quoting HopesNDreams:

Have you ever raised a special needs child? Part of the 'art' of it is challenging the child with the appropriate things at the appropriate time. It was either not the right time for it or not the right type of challenge.

I might also mention to your SD that it is really none of her business and unless she'd like others questioning her difficult and private decisions, perhaps she should stop questioning theirs. You had a great opportunity to teach good manners by saying 'I don't know, but it really isn't any of our business'.

atlmom2
by Susie on Jun. 23, 2013 at 11:43 AM
They do here too but Sat ot Act will let you forgo their testing.

Quoting Lorriane:

My son took the PSAT but not the SAT. He did not need to take either because it is not what the community college uses. The community colleges have their own testing process.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Verrine
by on Jun. 23, 2013 at 11:45 AM

I am unaware of a special needs version of the test. However, the College Board will provide accomodations. The problem is that you have to start the documentation and request about a year earlier. Many guidance counselors don't do this.

Quoting 02nana07:

It isn't an option here everyone takes it starting in the 9th grade and that way you will get a higher score by the 12th if needed. 

It was the same way when I was in school. 

The special ed classes have a different version of the test not sure what it is called. 

Verrine
by on Jun. 23, 2013 at 11:48 AM

For many community colleges and 4-year colleges, the test is the Accuplacer, which she will be taking tomorrow. 

Quoting Lorriane:

specialwingz
by Bronze Member on Jun. 23, 2013 at 11:50 AM

My twin sons have ADHD and Asperger's.  Yes, there are ways for your SD to get assistance through college.  Every college has an office for students with disabilities.  My sons have testing anxiety as well.  One of the things they are allowed to do is to take their test in a separate room.  This way, they don't get anxious when they see other people finishing the test before they do.  When they see other people finishing before them, they just start putting random answers down because they are afraid they are running out of time.

They also have not taking assistance as one of their requirements.

Don't let your SD fall through the cracks.  There IS a department to help you help her be successful.  Just because you don't have her full-time, doesn't mean you can't tell HER to check into these things.  This department is there to help kids with disabilities with setting up programs that help them learn in a manner condusive to their needs.

Quoting atlmom2:

She needs to get over her test fear or she will never make it in college.

atlmom2
by Susie on Jun. 23, 2013 at 11:54 AM
My dd doesn't have a disability so she had to get over it and make it through. She did and does very well now that she is older.

Quoting specialwingz:

My twin sons have ADHD and Asperger's.  Yes, there are ways for your SD to get assistance through college.  Every college has an office for students with disabilities.  My sons have testing anxiety as well.  One of the things they are allowed to do is to take their test in a separate room.  This way, they don't get anxious when they see other people finishing the test before they do.  When they see other people finishing before them, they just start putting random answers down because they are afraid they are running out of time.

They also have not taking assistance as one of their requirements.

Don't let your SD fall through the cracks.  There IS a department to help you help her be successful.  Just because you don't have her full-time, doesn't mean you can't tell HER to check into these things.  This department is there to help kids with disabilities with setting up programs that help them learn in a manner condusive to their needs.

Quoting atlmom2:

She needs to get over her test fear or she will never make it in college.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
02nana07
by Ida on Jun. 23, 2013 at 1:04 PM

I went to school with a girl who had a sister in special ed and since passing is required to get a diploma she took an easier version of it. 

Quoting Verrine:

I am unaware of a special needs version of the test. However, the College Board will provide accomodations. The problem is that you have to start the documentation and request about a year earlier. Many guidance counselors don't do this.

Quoting 02nana07:

It isn't an option here everyone takes it starting in the 9th grade and that way you will get a higher score by the 12th if needed. 

It was the same way when I was in school. 

The special ed classes have a different version of the test not sure what it is called. 

sabrtooth1
by on Jun. 23, 2013 at 1:10 PM
If this girl was ever officially diagnosed, you should take that info with you when she goes to take her accuplacer. Request that she mark her answers on the test booklet, and NOT use a Scantron. All she has to do is skip ONE slot, and the test is worthless.
You should have that in YOUR son's 504, as well.
GleekingOut
by Silver Member on Jun. 23, 2013 at 7:49 PM
My DD didn't. She said she had no plans to go to university (same as college in Aus) so why take it? She graduated by doing several TAFE (kinda like trade school) level courses through the school.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)