Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

If you or your child did NOT take the PSAT or SAT, please say Why

Posted by   + Show Post

[I am not currently the mom of a teen, but I did get my SD when she was 14 & I thought this was the best place to ask this question.]

In my former career, I counseled high school kids about college and then college kids about staying in college. The family I am closest friends with is non-custodial of his eldest daughter. Over the past 9 years I have seen her on holiday and summer visits. She is a really wonderful girl. I have never met her mother & stepfather.

The girl is now about to turn 18 and is entering senior year, so she is considering her college options. She wants to enter the health care field. I don't have a lot to work with as she can't get her transcript since it is summer, and she didn't take the PSAT, although it was offered. She has dyslexia and ADHD and has struggled a lot in school. My guess is that some of the classes she took were Special Ed.   

Tomorrow, I will take her to our local community college for the Accuplacer test. This is the test that many colleges use for actual placement in college courses. The results are not shared between colleges. The test is produced by the College Board, the same vendor that makes the SAT. The results will give her a good idea of the areas where she needs to improve and she can work on those in the next year before she takes the test at the community college she will attend.

My SD raised the question about why wouldn't the parents insist that she take the PSAT when everyone else took it? I know this girl has test anxiety and am guessing that she didn't want to see a low score. However, SD then pointed out that it makes sense to practice taking tests if you intend to go to college, especially in the health field where there will be lots of tests.

So, if you or your child did NOT take the PSAT or SAT, then why not? Thanks for reading.

by on Jun. 23, 2013 at 8:39 AM
Replies (41-50):
Verrine
by on Jun. 24, 2013 at 10:01 AM

I think that Mom is more concerned about her finishing high school. Plus, Mom doesn't think SATs are necessary. Dad and Stepmom were pushing for SATs but weren't paying for prep classes. 

Quoting suesues:

here we have to take then why didnt the mom put her in a prep class for the last 2 yrs 

boys2men2soon
by Kimberly on Jun. 24, 2013 at 10:08 AM

Quoting atlmom2:

Our hs had a very hard curriculum too. My dd had a 3.4 gpa and that was just above average. 3.0 was considered average for the school even though the school was challenging. The kids were pushed hard. Kids get a good education around here.

Quoting boys2men2soon:

Quoting Verrine:

The Accuplacer and Compass tests start with easier questions than the SAT or ACT. If you get those correct, the test gradually gives you harder questions, until you get to ones that are on more advanced material than covered by the SAT or ACT. Each college determines what score is necessary for what level course. 

By law, community colleges must have open enrollment. They can be a good route toward a career or a cheaper start toward a Bachelor's degree. However, 41% of high school graduates need to take remedial coursework when they get to college and four out of five of those students had high school GPAs of 3.0 (B average) or better.    

Quoting atlmom2:

It is a computer adaptive placement test. (Just searched and didn't know what kind of test it was either). A form of the ACT on the computer I guess. Thinking it is a much easier test since this college takes about anyone.

Wow.   41%??  I am surprised.   My kids HS had curriculum 'paths' to choose from.   There was the path to graduate, the path to a trade school/community college, and the path to a 4 yr University.     Both of my sons were on the path to a 4 year college.   Once at the University, neither had to take remedial courses, but they both found it much more difficult to 'test out' of certain classes.    For example, one son attempted to test out of German 1, as he had taken German in HS, but he made one mistake on the test, therefore didn't test out.  lol.  

Mine graduated with a 3.3 and a 3.8, but I don't know the average.   Their school was good....but not the highest ranking in the area....the city adjoining our city has two schools that are 'the cream of the crop', those schools have the highest test scores, college placement and ranking athletic teams.   I think it comes down to the student and what they want to get out of their education.   Some reach for the stars and others just past time.

Verrine
by on Jun. 24, 2013 at 10:09 AM

Sadly, many public school guidance counselors don't apply for accomodations for LD students and parents often don't realize that it's possible.

Quoting WEEZIE16:

I work in college counseling at a boarding school for students with dyslexia ans other language-based learning differences.  All of our students apply for accommodations for the ACT and SAT (this generally includes extended testing time and a reader). 

PurpleHazey
by on Jun. 24, 2013 at 10:58 AM

Mine took it!

huntersmom1007
by Member on Jun. 24, 2013 at 11:18 AM

I went to a trade college so I didn't have to. 

atlmom2
by Susie on Jun. 24, 2013 at 11:25 AM

Me too. I had a simple 30 min entrance exam.  I did take the SAT and went to college 18 months before quitting.  Went years later to trade school.

Quoting huntersmom1007:

I went to a trade college so I didn't have to. 

Come join me at The Duggars Debate, The Good, The Bad and the Ugly

Verrine
by on Jun. 25, 2013 at 10:05 AM

Thanks!

I had not thought about the cost factor. I hope you are confused about it being $75 because the actual cost listed on the PSAT website is $14 and that is a ridiculous mark-up! The school system where I live and the other one where I worked both pay for the test and expect all 10th and 11th graders to take it. I did not realize that there was any cost.

Today I asked whether there was a cost in her district and she said yes. Then, she said that you had to go on Saturday, which I have confirmed. Now it makes more sense that she didn't take an optional, must pay and go on a weekend test.

Quoting CometGirl:

My older children did not take any college placement tests.  The PSAT test costs $75 each time a student takes it at our school so that could be a barrier for some kids.  My youngest daughter took it last year and will take it one more time before she graduates.

my2kidsmom9498
by Bronze Member on Jun. 25, 2013 at 10:17 AM

Dh and I took both the ACT and SAT, but neither of us took the PSAT.  Dd, now in college, took the PSAT and ACT.  She did well in them both, and without taking the expensive tutoring classes, and landed some nice scholarships!!  We live in Illinois, where these are taken at school. 

Verrine
by on Jun. 25, 2013 at 10:22 AM

Sigh. See the part in my original post where I said the following: the family are close friends of mine; I have watched this girl grow up; she is a really nice person; and I have expertise in this field.

Making the post-secondary education and career decision is a major milestone in most people's lives. Many adults have regrets about what their own decisions at that age, conflicts with their teens about the teens' choices, and don't understand what is available. Yes, I am yet another well-intentioned adult in this girl's life. I have less stake, less bias and more knowledge about this than her parents. 

You are right, it is not my business. However, haven't you ever been concerned about or advocated for a child's welfare or goals or choices or happiness?

Quoting elkmomma:

My big question is...Why do you even care and why is this any of your business? 

atlmom2
by Susie on Jun. 25, 2013 at 10:32 AM
Some answers you have to just ignore.

Quoting Verrine:

Sigh. See the part in my original post where I said the following: the family are close friends of mine; I have watched this girl grow up; she is a really nice person; and I have expertise in this field.

Making the post-secondary education and career decision is a major milestone in most people's lives. Many adults have regrets about what their own decisions at that age, conflicts with their teens about the teens' choices, and don't understand what is available. Yes, I am yet another well-intentioned adult in this girl's life. I have less stake, less bias and more knowledge about this than her parents. 

You are right, it is not my business. However, haven't you ever been concerned about or advocated for a child's welfare or goals or choices or happiness?

Quoting elkmomma:

My big question is...Why do you even care and why is this any of your business? 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)