Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

Advice Needed: When would it be a good time to let child...

Posted by on Jun. 24, 2013 at 7:46 AM
  • 36 Replies
1 mom liked this

When would it be a good time to let child go away with friend on there family vacation for 8 days. when the child has never been away from home for amount of time.

by on Jun. 24, 2013 at 7:46 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lucky2Beeme
by Gold Member on Jun. 24, 2013 at 7:48 AM
1 mom liked this

I wouldn't start with 8 days away. I would start with overnights and work up to that. That's a long time for a child that's never been away overnight.

atlmom2
by Susie on Jun. 24, 2013 at 8:03 AM
I went on vacation with families from about 6th grade. I had been
on overnights camping without parents from 1st grade though. I had been at week long camps from 5th grade.

How old is your child. Mine started sleepovers with friends in Kindergarten.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mjande4
by Member on Jun. 24, 2013 at 8:11 AM

This.  My kids started flying across the country by themselves and spending the summer with family in fifth grade.  They also had been on many other short trips with others by this age.

Quoting atlmom2:

I went on vacation with families from about 6th grade. I had been
on overnights camping without parents from 1st grade though. I had been at week long camps from 5th grade.

How old is your child. Mine started sleepovers with friends in Kindergarten.

sheila909
by on Jun. 24, 2013 at 8:11 AM

he is 13 but the longest he has been gone is a weekend.,  Never 8 days and out of state.

Shopsha0911
by on Jun. 24, 2013 at 8:13 AM
1 mom liked this

8 days is too long. 

LoveonHollySt
by on Jun. 24, 2013 at 8:39 AM
1 mom liked this

ugh.  not now.  have them work up to that.  besides a family vacation is strictly that in my book.  it should be reserved for members of that family only.

atlmom2
by Susie on Jun. 24, 2013 at 8:53 AM
1 mom liked this
Lots of kids go with friends on vacation. I guess I thought that was the norm. At least if the parents can afford an extra 1 or 2 kids.

Quoting LoveonHollySt:

ugh.  not now.  have them work up to that.  besides a family vacation is strictly that in my book.  it should be reserved for members of that family only.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
locaporbebe
by New Member on Jun. 24, 2013 at 8:56 AM
1 mom liked this
I am a little surprised by the responses. My kids have gone on trips with friends of the family since they were in early elementary. We have never had an issue. My kids love their time away from home, they also love coming home after the trip.
fammatthews4
by Trisha on Jun. 24, 2013 at 9:06 AM
But was their first trip away 8 days? I think that the point everyone is making is that 8 days is too long for a first trip away from home. That is an amount of time that needs to be worked up to

Quoting locaporbebe:

I am a little surprised by the responses. My kids have gone on trips with friends of the family since they were in early elementary. We have never had an issue. My kids love their time away from home, they also love coming home after the trip.
fammatthews4
by Trisha on Jun. 24, 2013 at 9:07 AM
I agree with PP's that 8 days is a little much for a first trip away from home. Work up to that.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN