Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

Are your kids self conscious about their appearance?

Posted by on Jun. 24, 2013 at 2:43 PM
  • 36 Replies

My nephew is the sweetest kid around and EVERYONE loves him. I mean, everyone. He has a big personality and can make anyone laugh, has tons of friends, but lately he is starting to retreat unto himself.

For the last month or so he has gotten acne pretty bad (late puberty) and is really self conscious about it all. He has an appointment  with a dermatologist next month, but even that upsets him. He knows going will help him, but he hates that he even has to go see one to begin with.

Anyone else have a teen self conscious of their looks?

by on Jun. 24, 2013 at 2:43 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
atlmom2
by Susie on Jun. 24, 2013 at 3:01 PM
Mine never had acne. As soon as they got it they would have gone to the dr but it never appeared. I never had acne either. Clothes, no. They wear what they like. In 8th grade my dd wore a ton of skorts. Once someone asked her why she did. She said because I like them and moved on.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
GleekingOut
by Silver Member on Jun. 24, 2013 at 6:17 PM
Mine is. She purposely looks like crap every day so that she's more invisible. She won't touch makeup, hair styles or anything nice because she doesn't want to be noticed.
luckysevenwow
by Platinum Member on Jun. 24, 2013 at 7:14 PM
To a degree yes, but nothing over the the top.
bizzeemom2717
by on Jun. 25, 2013 at 2:04 AM
No neither one really. My DS had a bit of an acne problem but we went to a dermatologist ASAP. With my 15 year old dd I knew there was a family history with her older brother so we didnt even wait until the first break out to see the derm and get her on a good preventative skin regimen. Otherwise she might have been the one out of my kids to have been self concious about her looks?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
.Elena
by on Jun. 25, 2013 at 2:56 AM
1 mom liked this

All teens are conscious of their looks. As are all (or at least most) adults, even children :)

The trouble starts not in wanting to look good, but in loathing oneself for not looking like an ideal. Lamenting a bit of acne is not self-loating, I think it's just normal.

My teens are all pretty confident with their appearance, even with an occasional meltdown over a zit :) Do they even call them zits anymore? Must ask.

suesues
by Silver Member on Jun. 25, 2013 at 9:04 AM

yes we go to derma regularly and it really helps and my dau is overweight and over the last 3 months lost 25 lbs so encourge him to change things about himself it works

MrsBLB
by on Jun. 25, 2013 at 9:39 AM

DD did a little.  Dr got her cleared up.  He should get passed this soon.  Hormones are hard on them.  

fammatthews4
by Trisha on Jun. 25, 2013 at 12:03 PM

No mine never have been self conscious

my2kidsmom9498
by Bronze Member on Jun. 25, 2013 at 12:22 PM

My kids are not super worried, but acne does bother them some. 

bribren
by on Jun. 25, 2013 at 4:22 PM

My teens don't really have body issues. The only issue my oldest DD had was her height. She has since learned to stand up straight and be confident in her height. Every teen goes through some type of body issues it's how you respond to said issues. We talked to our daughter about her issues and were able to talk her through it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN