Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

Why does everything have to be a battle?

Posted by on Jun. 26, 2013 at 1:02 PM
  • 10 Replies

I know my son is going to school next month, but lately everything with him seems to be a battle. He has always been responsible for his own laundry, bedroom and bathroom. Over the last week, I have asked him to make sure his bathroom is cleaned really well, as we are having guest tomorrow and they will be sharing the upstairs bathroom with him.

It still isn't done. Everytime I ask him, he insists it is getting done. We are down to the wire now and he is grumbling and acting like I JUST now thrust this chore on him. Grrr. Same thing with asking him to make sure that he has plently of fresh towels in that bathroom as well. Guess what, he has about 2 loads of towels that need to be done.

I wish he would just do what I am asking of him like he used to. Like the way it was BEFORE we was on a countdown to college. Sigh

Anyone else battling with their kids to get their chores done?

by on Jun. 26, 2013 at 1:02 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
fantasticfour
by Grumpy on Jun. 26, 2013 at 5:15 PM
A lot of times it's a battle unless I stay on top of them. What's he doing that keeps him from doing these chores?
Cafe MichelleP
by Head Admin on Jun. 26, 2013 at 8:43 PM

I would tell him that the same house rules apply while he is still living there. 

atlmom2
by Susie on Jun. 26, 2013 at 8:49 PM
Consequences
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
fammatthews4
by Trisha on Jun. 27, 2013 at 8:10 AM
Agree. If there aren't consequences he has no reason to do them on your timeline

Quoting atlmom2:

Consequences
MrsBLB
by Missi on Jun. 27, 2013 at 10:05 AM

Yep.

Quoting fammatthews4:

Agree. If there aren't consequences he has no reason to do them on your timeline

Quoting atlmom2:

Consequences

MrsBLB
by Missi on Jun. 27, 2013 at 10:06 AM

Did he get it done?

HilbillyMamaof3
by on Jun. 27, 2013 at 10:51 AM
I'm laid back with this stuff, I guess. If he is leaving for college he probably having some last minute fun/good byes with his high school friends. I'm sure he is cramming it all in.

You're going to be missing him like crazy soon, I wouldn't stress over a bathroom. But that's just me.
PurpleHazey
by on Jun. 27, 2013 at 11:58 AM

Teens always battle everything, they tell us things just to justify us.

my2kidsmom9498
by Bronze Member on Jun. 27, 2013 at 12:42 PM

It is called the "dirting the nest" syndrom.  Kids purposely get on your nerves, so when they leave it is easier to go!  Dd did that too last year.  She has not been home this summer yet, to get on my nerves, but I know it is coming. 

ejwhite_99
by Bronze Member on Jun. 28, 2013 at 10:29 AM

Yup, just woke my 17yo up this morning around 6:40am, as I was about to leave out the door to work, so he could clean up a kitchen he knew he should have cleaned last night.  I get up at 5:30 in the morning and if I find what I've asked to be done isn't, guess who gets up with me and takes care of it.  There's been some late night awakenings also.  If he goes to bed and I happen to venture back downstairs and find something out of whack that he knew he should have taken care of, guess who gets awakened to care of it.  I give fair warning of consequences to not obeying the rules of the house and if he chooses to not follow them, then he's telling me he wants the consequences, so I give them to him.  

As for the load of towels, I learned a few years ago with the same 17yo that having too many towels in his possession was hard for him to handle.  Meaning he didn't know how to wash and put them away and not have them all over the place.  So I took them.  He had one towel and one washcloth that he would have to wash every week if he wanted a clean towel and washcloth.  He didn't have to worry about putting them away and I didn't have to worry about seeing them all over the place dirty.  Same thing for his clothes and shoes being all over his bedroom floor, looking like a tornado hit it.  I took everything out of his room leaving him with enough clothes for 1wk. and 2pr. of shoes.  Again, he didn't have to worry about cleaning up and I didn't have to worry about his room being a mess anymore cause there was nothing to mess it up.  After doing this a few times, he's learned to keep his room a whole lot better.  Because he knows, if I see it, its mine and he doesn't like losing his stuff.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)