Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

10 Things Our Kids Will Never Have to Learn How to Do

Posted by on Jun. 28, 2013 at 9:09 AM
  • 37 Replies
1 mom liked this

10 Things Our Kids Will Never Have to Learn How to Do

by Jeanne Sager

payphoneThe George Zimmerman trial in Florida has had its fair share of shockers, but the news out now is that a teenage witness admitted she couldn't read a letter she supposedly wrote. The 19-year-old can't read it because she can't read (or apparently write) cursive! Pass me some Metamucil, because dang that made me feel old!

Of course a teenager in 2013 can't read cursive! School after school is dropping the handwriting we toiled over back in third grade.

To quote a singer most teenagers have never even heard of, "the times, they are a changin'." 

Just look at all the skills we grew up with ... that our kids will likely never master.

Make a Call on a Rotary Dial Phone

According to the latest statistics, more than one third of Americans don't have land lines in their homes. Most of today's teens have never seen a rotary dial phone ... never mind used one!

Load a Film Camera

We live in the age of digital everything, and that includes cameras. Heck, most kids don't even USE cameras. They use their phones!

Make Popcorn on the Stove

Remember when making popcorn meant loading a pot with oil and some kernels? Now it's just throwing a bag in the microwave.

Load a Typewriter

Sure, they'd probably be able to type if someone had already put the paper in, but would they know how to get it in there?

Play a Cassette Tape

You're lucky if your kid knows what a CD is, but put a cassette tape in her hand and tell her to play your favorite song, and you'll probably get a very confused look.

Read or Write Cursive

Public schools may follow the "Common Core State Standards," but it's up to individual districts to decide whether they want to teach cursive or not. That means many kids can't write it ... OR read it!

by on Jun. 28, 2013 at 9:09 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Jessiejack
by Silver Member on Jun. 28, 2013 at 9:21 AM

Both my kids can roller skate. As a matter of fact my DD roller skated competitively for 9 years. There is still a petition to get it in the Olympics. We skate as a family about once or twice a month in the winter.

We also use the library every week. Yes we still take books out of the library. My kids love to read and its to expensiveto buy a new book every week. My DD did learn to research topics in the library (she is 15) but I believe my son(he is 5) will never do that. The school libraries are closed do to budget cuts.

HilbillyMamaof3
by on Jun. 28, 2013 at 9:24 AM
My kids can roller skate (kind of). We live in town where there is not much to do and the kids (12-15) still go to the skating rink on the weekends.

They can also do research in a library, I make them, they gripe.

Write in cursive, the school did drop it but I persued it, our constitution is written in cursive. I find it important that they can read it, and other things. Their baby book, love letter between their grandparents.
atlmom2
by Susie on Jun. 28, 2013 at 9:27 AM
My 19 and 22 yo used cursive until hs. I am glad. My girls had skating parties a lot in grade school. They rollerblade in gym in hs here and ice skate in gym too.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
atlmom2
by Susie on Jun. 28, 2013 at 9:27 AM
We make popcorn on the stove all the time. Microwave popcorn is not healthy for you.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mommaTLC186
by on Jun. 28, 2013 at 9:35 AM
We make popcorn on the stove, go to the library several times a week (and get a mountain of books each time), my kids can read and write in cursive (my 7yr old is learning right now... I homeschool), my oldest two have used pay phones and a rotary phone and used a typewriter, and we still have a cassette player:)
MrsBLB
by Missi on Jun. 28, 2013 at 9:57 AM

Mine have experienced some of these.  Had a blast with them.  

luckysevenwow
by Platinum Member on Jun. 28, 2013 at 10:01 AM

We still do some of those.

We make popcorn on the stove. Have cassette players (in a few older cars), even have a few tapes lol. They don't roller skate but that's cause we have no where where they could. Cursive is in the air, some can and do, others don't.

Funny cause about a month ago my 6 year old asked me what a pay phone was. It was the first time he had ever seen one. I found it funny, he found it cool. 

MariannLws
by Member on Jun. 28, 2013 at 10:23 AM

They can do all on the list.  When they were little most on the list were everyday simple things like roller skating, popping popcorn on the stove or playing cassette tapes.

When they got older I taught them to look up what they had questions about in actual encyclopedias and dictonaries. Alot of their friends thought this was just crazy. 

One summer while visiting great grandma. We were exploring GGMa's attic and found a really typewriter. I asked my husband to bring the type writer down to the kitchen. I showed the kids how to load the ribbon, put in the paper and let them type out messages. The kids were about 8 and 10 and this was 2001. 

GGMa also still had a rotary dial phone. The kids thought that was crazy and the neatest thing. lol

That same summer we drove to Manhattan. While sightseeing our son noticed the public pay phones. My husband thought it was would be neat to make a call. I remember our son saying "You have to put money into it?!" LOL 

When our first daughter was in high school she was one of the school's photographers and was required to take photography. Her teacher taught them how to load film and develope it. Sadly, we learned that class was cut shortly after our daughter graduated.

Cursive writing is still being taught in our area schools. Our youngest started learning cursive in class towards the end of the year and will continue the next school year.

Our children are 22, 19 and 8. What I love is older children have taught the youngest most on the list. :)  

PurpleHazey
by on Jun. 28, 2013 at 3:02 PM

I sure do remember, my kids have all rollar skated, used a dial up phone, did research from books, and even popped pop corn on the stove.

PurpleHazey
by on Jun. 28, 2013 at 3:06 PM

This is a great post, those were the good old days when times were good, boy did I have a great childhood.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)