Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Juvinile Rheumatoid Arthritis, update..

Posted by on Jun. 28, 2013 at 11:34 AM
  • 11 Replies

My 14 year old is being tested for JRA.  Her symptoms are swollen and painfull knees and a few months ago she broke out in mutant hives.  They were huge and all over hands, feet, and knees.  Just wondering if anyone has had experience with this!

by on Jun. 28, 2013 at 11:34 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Txlisa7969
by Bronze Member on Jun. 28, 2013 at 12:03 PM

I don't have experience for JRA but I do have adult RA.  I have never broken out with hives but I do have psoriasis to go along with my RA.  Hope your 14 yr old gets a better diagnonsis than JRA.  I have had it since I was 32 (almost 12 yrs).  I couldn't imagine developing it so young.  Best wishes.

zacmacsmomm
by Bronze Member on Jun. 28, 2013 at 12:06 PM

Thank you, I know that hives can come with JRA, but they could also be from something completely different.  The main complaint is her knees.  She's fine if she's sitting down, watchign TV.  But she's a very active child, so that doesn't happen too often.  My dad has RA and my mom has MS, autoimmunes are a bitch

PurpleHazey
by Angie on Jun. 28, 2013 at 2:51 PM

Quoting Txlisa7969:

I don't have experience for JRA but I do have adult RA.  I have never broken out with hives but I do have psoriasis to go along with my RA.  Hope your 14 yr old gets a better diagnonsis than JRA.  I have had it since I was 32 (almost 12 yrs).  I couldn't imagine developing it so young.  Best wishes.

I have never heard of hive unless they are allergic to something, my daughter had them like that when she had strept thoat, the Dr. said her body was rejecting the virus.

PurpleHazey
by Angie on Jun. 28, 2013 at 2:52 PM

Quoting zacmacsmomm:

Thank you, I know that hives can come with JRA, but they could also be from something completely different.  The main complaint is her knees.  She's fine if she's sitting down, watchign TV.  But she's a very active child, so that doesn't happen too often.  My dad has RA and my mom has MS, autoimmunes are a bitch

I have had trouble with my knees ever sence I was 17, baseball is a killer on the knees.

zacmacsmomm
by Bronze Member on Jun. 29, 2013 at 10:34 AM

You can get hives with autoimmune diseases, I really hope it's not with her though, she's only 14 :(

bizzeemom2717
by Jen on Jun. 29, 2013 at 2:42 PM
I don't buy here is a bump.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
craftyzenmom
by New Member on Jun. 29, 2013 at 4:25 PM

I was diagnosed with Stills Disease in my teens. The symptoms are really similar to JRA except for a rash and fever. My knees and ankles were most affected. Does she have sensitivity to sun? I had to wear big sunglasses because the sun really hurt my eyes for awhile. The Mayo Clinic has some great online resources if you're looking for info on stuff. My symptoms went away until my 30's then came back as "just" RA, no rash or fever. The new meds they have for autoimmune diseases are really good compared to back in the 80's, back then they treated me with massive doses of aspirin :(

Jessiejack
by Silver Member on Jun. 29, 2013 at 6:36 PM

My DD has JRA and was diagnosed when she was about 5. She is now 15. She gets hives often and always keeps Benadryl with her at all times. She takes Alive every day but we have not used any other drug. She visits a chiropractor regularlyand stays active. As long as she can walk and run we will not take the path of using other drugs. We made this decision because we did not want to put all the chemicals in her body and we did not want to have to keep using stronger drugs as she gets older. She will have it for life and the longer we can hold out the better we will be.

My DD plays field hockey, lacrosse and swims every day. She finds that when she is not active she feels the pain even more. I wish you the best with all the testing. I would also ask for them to pull a lyme on her. My DD's friend had lyme and it took them a long time to figure it out becasue they thought it was JRA. If you ever want to talk feel free to PM me. Its not an easy life but it can be pretty normal.

MusherMaggie
by Member on Jun. 29, 2013 at 7:02 PM
Also look into things you can do dietarily to ease the inflammation.
zacmacsmomm
by Bronze Member on Jun. 29, 2013 at 9:01 PM

I've heard that elimitating gluten can help with RA flare ups, so if that is the case, our family will be gluten free.  My daughter is taking meloxicam at the moment, she could barely walk up the stairs the other day.  It's heart breaking.  I will not let docs put her on long term steroids.  I really hate the wait and see game.  Thank you all

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)