Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

Why do teens think its ok to drink ?

Posted by on Jun. 28, 2013 at 2:38 PM
  • 13 Replies

On June 5th my 17 year old son  & his girl friends & other members of the church youth group wereharassed & my son was punched in the face at McDonald's in our town by 4 other teens who were 18 & 19..

At one time one of the boys came up to my son & was kinda dry humping the air right in my sons face, 

Manager called the cops, & when the 4 teens heard the sirens they took off... I wish more than anything the cops would have got their sooner. 

Cops were called at 9:30 PM by 2 :15 A.M. 2 of the teens were dead other 3 in the car were in critical condition at the hospital, one of those 3 died at 6 in the morning due to to much fluid on his brain. 1 of the boys was picked up sometime between McDonald's & a party they were at... 

My son was upset about the harassment as most of it was directed towards him, he knew of these kids but never had talked to them or anything else.  He woke me up the next morning to tell me they were killed in a car accident.  & then he was really upset. someone sent him a link to the video one of the boys took of them dry humping the air in his face on vine... Have no clue how to get this video off of the site.. 

I looked at the video & it is pretty ignorant, & I started looking at all the other videos these kids have posted on the site, & OMG these 18 & 19 year old's are constantly drinking. & I mean nothing but drinking. Do their parents not know what they are doing or are they providing the alcohol ? I just do not get it. 

Anyway I had an officer come over to the house the other day to show him the videos because quite honestly it has really been bothering me, There is a video of them drunk as can be at a party 35 min before they were killed. 

Cop told me that they could smell the alcohol on them when they pulled them out of the burning car, from what the officer said they were doing at least 80-90 & hit a tree car caught on fire & the driver & passenger died on impact, the 3 in the back which one 1 had a seat belt on were in pretty bad shape, one of them they are not sure if he was thrown from the car or if he got out on his own, he was found laying in the street witha broken back. & then 1 died at the hospital. 

I just do not get why these kids think its ok to drink & how on earth did their parents not know what they were doing ? Why didn't anyone stop these kids from driving ? Who on earth gave these kids the alcohol

I was told thank you by the cop & he is turning the videos over to the high way patrol which should help with their investigation & I told him I hope someone is held responsible for giving them the alcohol. But honestly I doubt any one will be. I even figured out who's house they were at for the party. 

My heart is breaking for their parents, I can not even imagine what they are going through. I just wish someone would have stopped them... 

by on Jun. 28, 2013 at 2:38 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
PurpleHazey
by on Jun. 28, 2013 at 2:41 PM

I can't answer that but I can tell you that I drank as a teen and I can't tell you why I drank because it sure don't taste good (none of it).

atlmom2
by Susie on Jun. 28, 2013 at 6:11 PM
1 mom liked this
Some are idiots. Most are not and don't drink. 3 kids my dd knows died a year ago. Twice the legal limit. 2 died instantly. Other one 3 days later. The parents go a slap on the wrists for allowing them all to drink at a grad party.
It is not just drinking, but why do they drive when they are plastered??? These are the kids that will drink and drive later after they are 21 too if they live that long.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sabrtooth1
by on Jun. 28, 2013 at 7:44 PM
1 mom liked this

Teens think it's OK to drink because it is allowed by their parents.  If parents made NO DRINKING a rule from the time kids were young, did not condone it, turn a blind eye to it,  say "kids will be kids", supervised their kids carefully, and raised kids who OBEYED THEM, this would not have happened. 

My kids certainly did NOT drink, and most of their friends did not, either.  My kids were not allowed at the homes of kids who drank, or whose parents let them drink.  Those friends came to our house.  Our kids went out with kids whose parents were as strict as we were.  And our kids knew it was not worth their lives to disobey.

Retrokitty
by Member on Jun. 28, 2013 at 8:51 PM
4 moms liked this
Actually statistics show quite the opposite. In country's where kids are allowed wine with dinner and taught how to drink responsibly have a very low binge drinking rate, and less alchohol related deaths. Places like the US that ban kids all together and have a super high drinking age have a very high binge drinking rate and a very high alcohol death rate. Maybe two kids in my graduating class parents didnt care about them having alcohol yet about 98% of the people drank. 85% on a regular basis.

Quoting sabrtooth1:

Teens think it's OK to drink because it is allowed by their parents.  If parents made NO DRINKING a rule from the time kids were young, did not condone it, turn a blind eye to it,  say "kids will be kids", supervised their kids carefully, and raised kids who OBEYED THEM, this would not have happened. 

My kids certainly did NOT drink, and most of their friends did not, either.  My kids were not allowed at the homes of kids who drank, or whose parents let them drink.  Those friends came to our house.  Our kids went out with kids whose parents were as strict as we were.  And our kids knew it was not worth their lives to disobey.

boys2men2soon
by Kimberly on Jun. 28, 2013 at 9:52 PM

Teens think they are invincible.    They are so sure they know it all and fancy themselves as responsible adults....when it suits them.     They probably got the alcohol from someone who is old enough to buy it, and think they are being cool by giving it to minors.    

racheal241977
by Member on Jul. 1, 2013 at 1:26 AM

My son just showed me another video of the kids girlfriends & one of the kids sisters on vacation in FL this week with parents ( well the moms)& they are all drinking in it. It disgust me to know parents are allowing this. There is prob about 7 teenagers total & they are all drinking & I know the sister of one of the kids who just died is 15 or 16. UGHHHHHHHHH

katydon
by Member on Jul. 1, 2013 at 1:51 AM

just because parents tell their kids not to drink, does NOT mean they will listen. many parents do not allow their kids to drink but they still do it anyways. it all depends on the kid and sometimes it doesnt matter how you raised them, it all depends on how they choose to act 

Quoting sabrtooth1:

rfhsure
by on Jul. 1, 2013 at 1:54 AM

this sounds like the problem is driving drunk, not necessarily drinking. When I was in high school I drank with friends, but not excessively, and if we went to a party we stayed at the party, even if it meant we had to sleep in the car. Drinking is a reality of being a teenager. Kids would probably drink less if it wasn't so taboo. In germany, kids drink at 16 and drive at 21. By then the hype has worn off and they're not so stupid about it. I think that would be a reasonable system here. I think driving is a much bigger responsibility than drinking personally.

bizzeemom2717
by on Jul. 1, 2013 at 2:52 AM
I'm sure the parents of the kids who died are devastated. Hopefully instead of talking negatively about them the people in your community will honor the kids memory with public education and learning from such a tragic situation
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bexsmum
by Bronze Member on Jul. 1, 2013 at 10:51 AM

I don't condone drinking and driving never have never will. My kids as teens knew if you drank you didn't drive or get into a car with someone who had been drinking period end of story. I can tell you on more than one occasion we picked up a group of teens  and drove them to my house NO QUESTIONS ASKED. It was a policy we instilled from the time they started to go to parties. There was many a night we had a group of teens crashed on your rec room floor because they had been partying. Drinking was not taboo in this group and parents were ALL responsible as in no driving from my house if you have been drinking.

I think some public awareness and education are in order in this case. No amount of bashing will bring these kids back and no amount of belittling the parenting skills of those teens is going to change anything. I think this is where open converstaion with your kids is needed in regards to if your at a party and your kid or you are drinking call us we will come and get you NO MATTER WHAT,NO QUESTIONS and NO PUNISHMENT. If you punish them for being responsible then they will engage in what is damm risky behavior to get home.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN