Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

the shopping list for the college freshman.... tell us about yours.

Posted by on Jun. 30, 2013 at 11:36 AM
  • 30 Replies

Holy moly.... didnt really think we would need so much, other than bedding.  But then I sat and thought about all the items we share.   Example: we have one blow drier that all the girls in the house share. She will also need a full winter wardrobe.  We are in so. cal. and do not own snow boots, coats, scarves, gloves.  LoL... this is one of the things she is very excited about.  And another funny thing I just realized is that I will now have to buy my own eye shadow.  My daughter has a wonderful pallet of colors and now that Im working part time and need to do my make up properly each day I have been using hers.

So what is on your shopping list that you didnt really think about before?  Is it larger or smaller than you thought it would be.

by on Jun. 30, 2013 at 11:36 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
atlmom2
by Susie on Jun. 30, 2013 at 11:46 AM
My dd figured out freshman year what she needed and didn't. School provides a fridge but she wants another. She also needs one of the rubbermaid plastic drawer things. She wanted nearly all her clothes. Will evaluate that this year before she leaves.
Either a very good quilted mattress pad, like a $60 one. Or buy the inch foam extra under the mattress pad. The mattresses are hard as bricks. Dd used a quilted mattress pad and loved it. Gotta buy XL twins.
Got her a printer on sale for $30. So worth it. Used it constantly.
Under bed space conserving containers.
We used space bags and saved room. Last year fit everything in my small SUV. Not this year. Need 2 cars.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sahlady
by Gold Member on Jun. 30, 2013 at 11:57 AM

this school doesnt provide refrigerators or microwaves.  We hve been given two different suggestions.  One is to look to buy a used one from a sophomore going into a frat/sorority.  The frats and sororities have live-in requirements so selling them is common.  Or to buy new and sell them next year.

Love the under bed storage... I will have to look into that.

We can not drive, choose not to drive.... so we will be buying many things on line and picking it up there.  Possibly shipping some items from home.

I was thinking the mattress pad would be a great idea... where did you find yours?

Quoting atlmom2:

My dd figured out freshman year what she needed and didn't. School provides a fridge but she wants another. She also needs one of the rubbermaid plastic drawer things. She wanted nearly all her clothes. Will evaluate that this year before she leaves.
Either a very good quilted mattress pad, like a $60 one. Or buy the inch foam extra under the mattress pad. The mattresses are hard as bricks. Dd used a quilted mattress pad and loved it. Gotta buy XL twins.
We used space bags and saved room. Last year fit everything in my small SUV. Not this year. Need 2 cars.

atlmom2
by Susie on Jun. 30, 2013 at 12:00 PM
Microwaves are provided too. Private school and they should with the tuition they pay. Of course between 4 of them they want 2 so one of the other girls are bringing one.

Quoting sahlady:

this school doesnt provide refrigerators or microwaves.  We hve been given two different suggestions.  One is to look to buy a used one from a sophomore going into a frat/sorority.  The frats and sororities have live-in requirements so selling them is common.  Or to buy new and sell them next year.

We can not drive, choose not to drive.... so we will be buying many things on line and picking it up there.  Possibly shipping some items from home.

I was thinking the mattress pad would be a great idea... where did you find yours?

Quoting atlmom2:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
atlmom2
by Susie on Jun. 30, 2013 at 12:01 PM
I think Penneys. Look around because most are the cheap ones. Had to really hunt for a good XL twin.

Quoting sahlady:

Quoting atlmom2:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sahlady
by Gold Member on Jun. 30, 2013 at 12:12 PM

we have a nice one here at home that I got from ... ?... what ever store Mervyn's turned into.  But since we are flying there is no inexpensive way to get it from here to there.

Quoting atlmom2:

I think Penneys. Look around because most are the cheap ones. Had to really hunt for a good XL twin. 
atlmom2
by Susie on Jun. 30, 2013 at 12:17 PM
Flying would be hard. So much to buy once you get there. Dd had 2 crates, 4 boxes and other misc stuff. In the next 4 weeks I shipped a couple more boxes of stuff to her. She bought some extras at Walmart too. During Oct break I brought winter clothes and took most summer home. Will do that again.

Quoting sahlady:

we have a nice one here at home that I got from ... ?... what ever store Mervyn's turned into.  But since we are flying there is no inexpensive way to get it from here to there.

Quoting atlmom2:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
luckysevenwow
by Platinum Member on Jun. 30, 2013 at 1:31 PM

With my son it wasn't that bad, he's a boy so he didn't have all of the extra stuff us woman have lol

His did provide a fridge and microwave. Once he got there we sent a coffee/hot cocoa thing, the one cup kinda and a bike since he couldn't take his car. Even when it snowed he could use it cause they have heated sidewalks.

We got him new bedding, towels, wash clothes those kinda things. No printer cause the school had plenty in each dorm for the students to use and it was never a problem.

We also bought a lot when he got there. Laundry soap, cleaning supplies, air fresheners, bathing supply's, food even. My son can eat his body weight. There were some clothes that weren't bought right away, but he was given money to go an buy, winter stuff mainly.

Now for coming home, we made him go through it all, decide what had to be kept and what he could live without and ship it home. So much easier and so much nicer.

atlmom2
by Susie on Jun. 30, 2013 at 1:40 PM
I bought my dd huge shampoo and conditioner. Never used it all. She had smaller bottles to take and fill. They fit in her shower caddy. She won't need that anymore. Last year 22 shared one bathroom. Now only 4 in her quad and share a bath.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sahlady
by Gold Member on Jun. 30, 2013 at 1:45 PM

I was thinking that the non-clothing items would be put in storage over the summer there in that town.  Maybe she could even share the cost of the storage unit with some girl friends.

Quoting luckysevenwow:

Now for coming home, we made him go through it all, decide what had to be kept and what he could live without and ship it home. So much easier and so much nicer.

atlmom2
by Susie on Jun. 30, 2013 at 1:49 PM
I buy lots of meds. One of a few cold and cough meds, advil, pepto bismol, cough drops etc. Luckily dd had 2 colds and that was it. I did get her a flu shot over Christmas break. Will do it over Thanksgiving this time.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN