Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

meeting the roommate

Posted by on Jul. 1, 2013 at 9:39 AM
  • 9 Replies

My daughter was with her dad at orientation this past weekend, and got to finally meet her roommate in person!  She really likes her... of course she doesnt actually live with her yet, but it is a great start.  Hubs really liked her dad, they have similar careers so there was a nice conversation opener.  Hubs said that her dad sounded like a soild parent and from what he saw he feels that the roomy will be of a similar moral, emotional, social ilk as our daughter.  All good!

Funny thing is that their daughter looks SO much like hubs ex-girlfriend.  I met hubs right after the ex broke his heart almost 25 years ago.  I have only ever seen a photo or two of her, but when I saw a photo of the roomy that was my first impression.  When I mentioned this to hubs he kind of laughed and told me that when he met the roomy his first impression was how similar her personality was to his ex.  I KNOW that her mother is NOT his ex..... but now Im wondering who her aunts might be... LMBO!

by on Jul. 1, 2013 at 9:39 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
atlmom2
by Susie on Jul. 1, 2013 at 9:51 AM

Sounds good.  DD had the roommate from hell last year.  Could have been worse.  They just didn't speak at all.  Her roommate was soooooooo strange.  When she didn't friend her on facebook she knew things would not be good.  At least they didn't argue, but the roommate argued with her boyfriend constantly.  All they did was bicker.  My dd spent the night a lot in friends rooms dragging her mattress off her bed.  This year she has a quad with 3 friends and all should be wonderful

Also all her pictures were of family and her boyfriend, no friends.  90% of pics dd brought were of friends and her boyfriend.  DD said she only had one friend all school year.  It was her fault.  She was just the most socially awkward person antisocial or rude.  Very smart. 

One time she actually told the RA my dd wasn't inviting her to do things about the 3rd week.  Hello, roommates are NOT someone's social director.  After that my dd was pissed beyond belief.  My dd is the kind of person who is friends with everyone so her not being able to get along shows it was not my dd's issue. 

sahlady
by Gold Member on Jul. 1, 2013 at 9:54 AM

bummer!  did the school choose the roommates?  Im guessing this wasnt a gril your daugher picked out.

Quoting atlmom2:

Sounds good.  DD had the roommate from hell last year.  Could have been worse.  They just didn't speak at all.  Her roommate was soooooooo strange.  When she didn't friend her on facebook she knew things would not be good.  At least they didn't argue, but the roommate argued with her boyfriend constantly.  All they did was bicker.  My dd spent the night a lot in friends rooms dragging her mattress off her bed.  This year she has a quad with 3 friends and all should be wonderful

Also all her pictures were of family and her boyfriend, no friends.  90% of pics dd brought were of friends and her boyfriend.  DD said she only had one friend all school year.  It was her fault.  She was just the most socially awkward person antisocial or rude.  Very smart. 

One time she actually told the RA my dd wasn't inviting her to do things about the 3rd week.  Hello, roommates are NOT someone's social director.  After that my dd was pissed beyond belief.  My dd is the kind of person who is friends with everyone so her not being able to get along shows it was not my dd's issue. 

atlmom2
by Susie on Jul. 1, 2013 at 9:56 AM

You fill out a form with interests and they matched, ugh.  It was tennis and that they were both shy.  She did admit it could have been worse.  She had friends with psycho roommates and worse.  I guess not talking and the awkwardness was not bad compared to some of her friends. 

Quoting sahlady:

bummer!  did the school choose the roommates?  Im guessing this wasnt a gril your daugher picked out.

Quoting atlmom2:

sahlady
by Gold Member on Jul. 1, 2013 at 9:57 AM

true.... good attitude on your daughters part

Quoting atlmom2:

She did admit it could have been worse.  She had friends with psycho roommates and worse.  I guess not talking and the awkwardness was not bad compared to some of her friends. 

MrsBLB
by on Jul. 1, 2013 at 12:16 PM

I hope it continues to go well.

That is funny about the look alikes!

boys2men2soon
by Kimberly on Jul. 1, 2013 at 12:24 PM

How ironic!    That would be so funny, if she were related to your Dh's ex!!!

luckysevenwow
by Platinum Member on Jul. 1, 2013 at 2:21 PM
Have your DD do some sleuthing, stranger things have happened.

My sons roommate was from Japan and had limited English skills, and some very strange habits but the hit along. Not best friends but they could handle each other
02nana07
by Ida on Jul. 1, 2013 at 7:23 PM

glad it seems to be going good

sahlady
by Gold Member on Jul. 1, 2013 at 7:24 PM

thanks.  does seem like a good start.

Quoting 02nana07:

glad it seems to be going good

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN