Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

What age are your teens learning to drive and do you plan on buying them a car?

Posted by on Jul. 1, 2013 at 11:51 AM
  • 31 Replies
I had to earn my car when I was a teen and even then I didn't get it till the summer before my Senior year.
by on Jul. 1, 2013 at 11:51 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
CaileighsMom608
by on Jul. 1, 2013 at 11:53 AM

I want my 15 yr old to learn to drive as soon as possible.  I cant afford a car for myself so he will not be getting one anytime soon

boys2men2soon
by Kimberly on Jul. 1, 2013 at 12:00 PM

Our sons got the licenses at age 16, we gave them cars at age 17.   Our reasoning for buying them cars was not only so they would have independence, but they would have the responsibility of paying for the insurance and maintenance.     It worked like a charm!   We chose vehicles that we felt would get them through college.    Every month, the boys hand over their part of the insurance without reminders.   They have never asked for gas money or repair money.       They have paid for their own repairs when needed, luckily Dear old Dad is a good backyard mechanic, so they have saved on labor costs.

jojo_star
by on Jul. 1, 2013 at 12:12 PM

My now 17 year old learned to drive shortly before he turned 16, we bought him a car for his 16th birthday. Our daughter is 15 right now and learning to drive, we will buy her a car for her 16th birthday as well. 

bizzeemom2717
by on Jul. 1, 2013 at 1:17 PM
My DS learned to drive at 15 and got his license on his 16 th bday. We got him a car because we needed his help with transportation with younger sibs and he's a very responsible kid who earned it as well
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sabrtooth1
by on Jul. 1, 2013 at 1:17 PM
1 mom liked this

One kid learned to drive at 16, the other not till 18.  They got cars of their own when they graduated HS, since both were commuting to college.  They got OLD, but serviceable cars.  We figured it was WAY cheaper than room & board.  They worked, and supported their cars.  They paid the ins, sticker, gas, and routine maintenance.  Both cars lasted about 8 years, and by that time they were done with school, & working in their careers.

Jessiejack
by Silver Member on Jul. 1, 2013 at 6:44 PM

I need my DD to get her licence. She does not get a bus and we are 20+ minutes from the school. We are back and forth to the school sometimes 4 times a day. She will not be able to get it until she is 16 1/2 with drivers ed. So that will be the end of her junior year. We are hoping that she will get DH's car. He has a little Saturn and it old but in really good shape. She will have to earn it in that she needs to have good grades, keep up with sports and have a part time job to pay for gas and some of her car insurance.

HilbillyMamaof3
by on Jul. 1, 2013 at 7:01 PM
The girls starting learning to drive at 12, they now know how to drive at 14. We live very far out in the country and it is remote, no ambulance coming until you get to the main road. I felt it was important that they know how.
As soon as son can reach the pedals he will learn also.

As far as cars go. Mine is saving for the down payment. I will make a small payment, but depending on how nice of a car they want will depend on their down payment. She will be required to pay for insurance or it will sit parked. Other than that she must buy a four wheel drive, but that's again a location issue. Now with SD, this is my deal- mom will probably just buy it and pay for everything.
mommyneedssleep
by Member on Jul. 1, 2013 at 7:45 PM
My daughter got her permit at 15 And license at 16!
She got my old car when she got her license and it has made life easier lol!! Not trying to get two kids to two different places at the same time
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
eSamsMama
by on Jul. 1, 2013 at 9:22 PM
I had to buy my first car (and every car there after). DH did the same. Kids will be allowed to use our cars but will be on their own to buy one.
drfink
by Emily on Jul. 1, 2013 at 10:04 PM

mine get their license when they are 16 after completing drivers ed and all the requirements both state based and mom-dad based.We give them an old car of ours or look around our extended families and buy on from a family member.During their senior year we buy a new car to take them through college and a couple of years after so they can work without needing to buy a car for a couple of years.This is what both of our parents did and has worked with our older two and is working with our teens.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN