Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

Do you have an open door policy?

Posted by on Jul. 2, 2013 at 12:42 PM
  • 30 Replies

At any given time, I will have anywhere from 3 -12 teens in my house. All of my sons friends come over. It is nothing for me to go to bed knowing that one or two guys will be sleeping over to waking up and seeing 6 or 7 of them spralled out all over the house. Once we had 12 boys over....12!

Do you have an open door policy with your teens friends? I don't necessarily mean that they can come and go as they please, but do they know that they can hang out at your house and it be okay? 

by on Jul. 2, 2013 at 12:42 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
friendlymom5
by Member on Jul. 2, 2013 at 12:51 PM
Its the same way at our house. It works well for us too.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
atlmom2
by Susie on Jul. 2, 2013 at 12:57 PM
Pretty much if my dd's ask first. My 22 yo had kids in our house all weekend usually. Lots of non alcohol parties. Tried to keep it around 15 or less.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
drfink
by Emily on Jul. 2, 2013 at 1:04 PM

Yes ,to some extent .With all the normal all parents are in the know etc type stuff in place .

We have been too quiet this month ,teens have been at camp.The first couple of days home they will sleep then the happy chaos starts again .

At our beach house NO ,not at all.Even 16,17 ,18 makes me a little concerned .We are at the beach ,50 miles from home just a little more concerned.We have kids frequently come for a couple of days or so but there it is by invitation only.Several years ago in Aug before my daughter left for college we had a mixed group down.My husband slept in the den with the guys.We seldom have the t.v. on there except to use for movies.There had been a tropical storm in the Gulf going in elsewhere.In the morning I am fixing breakfast when the land line and our cells went off.It was the town and county automated call telling us the storm was a small hurricane and coming in that evening....the kids cells started going off...you could tell when the news hit the city we live in ...moms and dads started calling.It was like they were vacuumed out ,seldom see teen boys move that fast.

chattycassie
by Bronze Member on Jul. 2, 2013 at 1:06 PM

AS long as it is approved before time and all of my kids chores are done they are allowed to have friends over. Its a bit tough in the summer with sleepovers since I have to be up @ 3:30 am to get ready for work. :)

jojo_star
by on Jul. 2, 2013 at 2:29 PM

Yup. It isn't unusual at all to come home to 5 or 6 extra teens. My oldest son has a good friend who has a pretty bad home life, so he spends more time at our house than he does at his. Especially during the summer. There are a few kids, where dh and I know the parents, and we know the kids well, and they can come and go as they please. Our kids can do the same at their house. We just need a text ahead of time, and we let our kids know if for some reason we don't want them over. They aren't any trouble, so I don't mind at all. 

atlmom2
by Susie on Jul. 2, 2013 at 3:12 PM
They should be sleeping at 3:30am.

Quoting chattycassie:

AS long as it is approved before time and all of my kids chores are done they are allowed to have friends over. Its a bit tough in the summer with sleepovers since I have to be up @ 3:30 am to get ready for work. :)

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
chattycassie
by Bronze Member on Jul. 2, 2013 at 3:50 PM

Yes they are, my concern is not that they are sleeping but how late they stay up and "party" at the slumber party. I get up early no one wants to go to bed @ 9 on a summer night. :)

Quoting atlmom2:

Quoting chattycassie:

just_hc
by Member on Jul. 2, 2013 at 3:53 PM

Very much so.   They don't even ask...they just stay.    It's really not unsusal for one of the friends to be there when the kids are not.   

atlmom2
by Susie on Jul. 2, 2013 at 3:57 PM
Once they were in hs I would not stay up with them. Sometimes they stayed up till 4am.

Quoting chattycassie:

Yes they are, my concern is not that they are sleeping but how late they stay up and "party" at the slumber party. I get up early no one wants to go to bed @ 9 on a summer night. :)

Quoting atlmom2:

Quoting chattycassie:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mommy4000
by Member on Jul. 2, 2013 at 4:01 PM

Not at all. I had that growing up, and most people thought my parents ran a foster home. Funny, but because I grew up always having tons of people in my home, I keep my home very private. My kids have to ask for friends to come over, and they've never had more than one at a time over. My kids can't just bring a group of friends home after school without notice for example.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)