Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

OMg its starting already?!?!

Posted by on Jul. 2, 2013 at 4:27 PM
  • 14 Replies

So, i was invited to this group last year (i think i keep getting kicked for inactivity lol) because my daughter is 9 but has precocious puberty. so another member thought i would get good advice here. 

well i need some now. 

my DD is 9, autistic, and driving me nuts. 

I just told her she could not get on the computer, becasue her laundry was not put away yet. 

she stomps to her room and slaps the wall in anger. i told her 'if you do not lose the attitude you will not play the computer at all' 

and she says with SO MUCH attitude "fine i wont put my clothes away" 

OMG 

what the hell do i do here? 

by on Jul. 2, 2013 at 4:27 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
atlmom2
by Susie on Jul. 2, 2013 at 4:31 PM
2 moms liked this

Stick to your guns.  She needs strict consistant discipline.  Otherwise she will be totally out of control. 

Come join me at The Duggars Debate, The Good, The Bad and the Ugly

bizzeemom2717
by Jen on Jul. 2, 2013 at 5:14 PM

Boundaries....tell her when she's not having a fit before hand what her consequence will be if she doesn't put her laundry away and most important FOLLOW THROUGH and stick with it...you do this with all things consistently at 9 she will get it and learn real quickly that you mean business and WILL follow through with a threat.

boys2men2soon
by Kimberly on Jul. 2, 2013 at 6:07 PM
1 mom liked this

You gave her an ultimatum....  mean what you say, say only what you mean.   No computer.  I would tack on another day of no computer time for getting snarky w/attitude.

drfink
by Emily on Jul. 2, 2013 at 6:33 PM

You have gotten excellent advice from the PPs.Agree with them all.

JP-StrongForTwo
by on Jul. 2, 2013 at 6:58 PM

thanks ladies. :) all great advice. we use 123 magic and it works really well, but as she gets older, the attitude slips out, and its happening more and more. 

I am wondering if maybe we should move up to the 123magic for teens version. 

mumsy2three
by Shauna on Jul. 2, 2013 at 7:53 PM

I agree with what has already been said. Continue with the 123 magic since it is working. She is testing her boundaries so just stand strong and hang in there! hugs~

RShay735
by on Jul. 3, 2013 at 1:22 AM

Tell her yes she will put those clothes away, because if she doesn't, there will be ____ as a consequence. I think since she's only nine, she's just testing out how far she can push you. You need to stay consistent. I'd tell her no computer for a week, for giving you that attitude. Remind her that using the computer is a privilege.

JP-StrongForTwo
by on Jul. 3, 2013 at 1:29 AM

Thanks ladies. I told her tonight that if her clothing is not put away first thing in the morning, i will be taking EVERYTHING out of her room, and she will not be using the computer for a week. It seemed to click with her, so we will see lol. 

02nana07
by Ida on Jul. 3, 2013 at 1:34 AM

Get things under control now or you won't make it through her teens.  If you let her by with this now just think of how she will treat you as a teen it only gets worse and harder to stop the longer you let it go on.  I would go to her and make her put the laundry away while I watched don't give her a choice then tell her she is grounded for the attitude she will thank you for it when she gets older.

JP-StrongForTwo
by on Jul. 3, 2013 at 1:36 AM

Yeah. im gonna give her one more chance to do it on her own, but if she still wont, then i will stand over her and make her do it, THEN take all the crap away. i dont want her to think that just because she is grounded and i took her stuff, that means she wont have to do it after all lol. 

Quoting 02nana07:

Get things under control now or you won't make it through her teens.  If you let her by with this now just think of how she will treat you as a teen it only gets worse and harder to stop the longer you let it go on.  I would go to her and make her put the laundry away while I watched don't give her a choice then tell her she is grounded for the attitude she will thank you for it when she gets older.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)