Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

Advice Needed: What do you do when your son is doing wrong...

Posted by on Jul. 2, 2013 at 6:39 PM
  • 26 Replies

What do you do when your son is doing wrong and you don't have any help. Do you throw him out, or give him up to the state. A very hard decision to make and I cant please help?

by on Jul. 2, 2013 at 6:39 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Joyzap2003
by Member on Jul. 2, 2013 at 6:57 PM

That really depends on the situation.  How old is he and what exactly do you think he is doing wrong?  

Sat3409
by Member on Jul. 2, 2013 at 7:09 PM

Hi thanks for your reply, he is 16 and i know he smokes weed and cigarets. he is very distant with family and never home i can not control him because he gets violent. I dont know what to do?

atlmom2
by Susie on Jul. 2, 2013 at 7:37 PM
1 mom liked this
Get him in rehab. Counseling also.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bizzeemom2717
by Jen on Jul. 2, 2013 at 7:52 PM

Quoting atlmom2:

Yep get him evaluated by an adolescent CD counselor.

sillymumof2
by on Jul. 2, 2013 at 7:56 PM
Agreed! Goodluck Hun! I wish u and ur family the best thru this difficult time

Quoting atlmom2:

mumsy2three
by Shauna on Jul. 2, 2013 at 7:58 PM

This and call the cops when he gets violent. Good luck.

Quoting atlmom2:

Jessica198027
by on Jul. 2, 2013 at 8:01 PM

I really see nothing wrong with the weed if he were 21 at least as for the cigs and weed where is he getting the money for this stuff? Does he have ajob? In most states he would not pass a drug test to get a job, so he has to be getting it somewhere. 1st step find out how he is getting it and put a stop to that, even if you have to call police on him or who is getting it for him. If you don't you can get into trouble for not reporting it yourself and get put in jail yourself. As for the violence, call the cops, he is old enough to do time and I would never put up with that from my kids at all, they would got to jail and do time for the violent things he was doing. You need to step up and get him straghtened out now before it is to late to help him and he ends up in jail for murdering someone with getting violent.

Quoting Sat3409:

Hi thanks for your reply, he is 16 and i know he smokes weed and cigarets. he is very distant with family and never home i can not control him because he gets violent. I dont know what to do?

atlmom2
by Susie on Jul. 2, 2013 at 8:14 PM
I agree with the others. Call the cops if he gets violent.

Quoting Sat3409:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Sat3409
by Member on Jul. 3, 2013 at 1:07 AM

Thanks for your reply, but he is not willing to go.

RShay735
by on Jul. 3, 2013 at 1:14 AM

We're in the same boat. I kicked my DD out when she was fourteen for smoking cigarettes, weed, and crack, among other things. It honestly made our situation a lot worse. She started using heroin and meth when she was kicked out and wouldn't come back home. We got her back after almost a year and sent her to rehab, and later that year put her in a mental health facility. DD is violent too.

I'd say to send him to rehab and see if that works for you. Take him for a psychiatric exam to see if there's any underlying mental health issues. Whenever DD gets violent, we tell her we'll call the police, and she usually stops. Try to get him to exercise, or give him a physical outlet if you aren't already. If he wont come home, call the police and they'll bring him home. This isn't something you can handle on your own. Another thing that's helped me with DD, is that when she's violent is to have someone else intervene. Since we're physically about the same size, I guess she thinks she can overcome me; it's probably even more so with you and your son. Try and have your husband or another adult male home to reinforce you, and hopefully eventually he'll see that he cant "win" a fight or get his way just because he's bigger.

Get him in therapy, also.

Quoting Sat3409:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)