Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

Rules?

Posted by on Jul. 3, 2013 at 8:31 AM
  • 20 Replies

Just want to know if any of your kids are over 18 and still living at home what rules do you have for them?

by on Jul. 3, 2013 at 8:31 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
atlmom2
by Susie on Jul. 3, 2013 at 8:44 AM
19 yo is home in summers. 22 yo was here till 21.
Had to tell me about when they would be home or not home at all. No curfew. When 22 yo started working she had to pay for her entertainment and her clothes, and food outside the house.
On weekdays no friends in the house after midnight unless they were spending the night. Weekends they can have friends in the basement till whenever. They are adults so not many rules, just courteous. They already have done their own laundry anyway since middle school.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Not_A_Native
by Bronze Member on Jul. 3, 2013 at 9:28 AM

Not so many.  If they are going out, I want a reasonable explanation of when they will be home (not a curfew, but telling me when they expect to be home).  Keep their room reasonable.  No dirty clothes or shoes on the floor throughout the house.  No dishes left in the bedroom.

mumsy2three
by Shauna on Jul. 3, 2013 at 9:45 AM
2 moms liked this

Our dd is 19.

Our rules are you work full time, go to school or a mix pt school pt job. She chose to work. We don't have a curfew for her but she tells us that she is going out and when she's planning to be home, I think that is just a habit from when she was in high school. She pays for her entertainment, food out of house, clothing, etc. She pays $25/week in rent. We keep the money, unbeknownst to her, when she is ready to move out we will use the money to offset moving costs~ it can go towards rent deposit, utility hook up, household items, etc. In the house she takes care of her pets (rabbits and a turtle), her room and laundry. She cleans up after herself if she's hanging out in other areas of the house.

SCMomOfTeen
by on Jul. 3, 2013 at 10:12 AM

I'm heading down that road soon, too.  My plan is to have my son help plan the rules so he has "buy-in" from the start.  Then I'll type them up and have him sign them.  That will avoid the whole, "I never knew about that rule" excuse!  Since we have a younger son at home as well, I will say no overnight guests without previous permission, and no one at the house past 10:00pm on week nights.  Any sign of drugs and it's instant rehab. Raising teens to adulthood is so tough!

sahlady
by Gold Member on Jul. 3, 2013 at 10:36 AM
1 mom liked this

my duaghter turned 18 this past march.... rules didnt change just because her age did.  she is still living off our dime so the rules are the same as they always have been.  If she wants to make the rules then she needs to get a job, move out, and claim her adulthood.  but as long as she is living off us she is not an adult and must have the same rules as always.

PurpleHazey
by on Jul. 3, 2013 at 12:55 PM

House rules apply to all

my2kidsmom9498
by Bronze Member on Jul. 3, 2013 at 3:41 PM

Dd is 19 and away at school most the year.  But, when she is home, she has a curfew of 12:30   It can be negociated, depends on who, what and where.  She still has to be helping with household chores and the like. 

mt0130
by on Jul. 3, 2013 at 4:22 PM

Quoting my2kidsmom9498:

Dd is 19 and away at school most the year.  But, when she is home, she has a curfew of 12:30   It can be negociated, depends on who, what and where.  She still has to be helping with household chores and the like. 

this is the rule we supposedly have with our 19 yo son but he thinks that 1230 is too early and last night decided not to come home till 2am even though he has to be at work at 830. He knows that I don't sleep till he comes home but obviously that doesn't matter, only what the gf says matters, and she tells him to stay. Real considerate of him,(she doesn't work-so can sleep in). So now I am trying to figure out what the consequences should be for that. I have told him that if he had plans other than sitting at her house for hours that it was okay to come home later and on nights he doesn't have to get up the next day for work. I just wish the son who used to be respectful would return, any ides when that may happen? LOL

jojo_star
by on Jul. 3, 2013 at 4:46 PM

Mine are all under 18. 

atlmom2
by Susie on Jul. 3, 2013 at 4:55 PM
I stayed out till midnight in hs.
After that I didn't have a curfew. That is why mine don't either. Even if they live at home they are adults and need to make decisions on their own sometimes. Yes, I told my parents where I was the majority of the time. I lived at home till 23. I used to come home from dh's parents house all the time at 2am or 3am.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)