Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

When Teenagers Make Out in Public, Moms Should Intervene

Posted by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 8:24 AM
  • 20 Replies

When Teenagers Make Out in Public, Moms Should Intervene

by Jeanne Sager

teens making out When I was a teenager, I remember sitting on my boyfriend's lap at my graduation party and -- as my dad later put it -- sucking face. He used that term, I should note, in a lecture about NOT, ahem, sucking face with my boyfriend in front of family and friends. I hated the PDA lecture then, but today I'm glad my parents bothered to give it. I only wish more of today's parents were doing the same.

Moms and Dads, I'm going to give you the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth: watching your kids making out and groping each other in public ... grosses the rest of us out!

And pretty much every time we're stuck gagging over your kids and their tongues down each other's throats, we blame you.

Not fair? I know. But as my father always said, "Fare is what you pay to get on a bus."

Kids need to learn how to properly comport themselves in public, and that's up to us, the parents. Which means it's up to parents to teach their teenagers that if you're old enough to date, you're also old enough to tone down the PDA.

I'm not an old fart here. If two kids want to hold hands, I'm all for more love in the world. If they want to nuzzle a bit, maybe even swoop in for a peck on the lips, well then by all means ...

But at some point, your kid is probably going to fall head over heels. They will be a mess of hormones that will make them want to kiss, grope, mount -- basically do anything and everything short of have sex with -- their partner in public.

And I don't want to see it!

Neither does my kid. Or the manager of the movie theater. Or the old lady at the park. Or the guy who cleans the bathrooms at the mall.

We just want to go about our daily routines with some normal old "safe for workish" views of PDA along the way. I don't think that's too much to ask.

Nor do I think it's too much to ask you to talk to your kids about this one. I can pretty much guarantee they'll cringe and get red faced and protest if you use terms like "sucking face," but one day they will remember that lecture. And they'll probably use it on their own kids.

Have you talked to your teenagers about toning down the PDA?

What did you say?

by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 8:24 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SnowWhieQueen
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 4:20 PM

my kids would never do that...they know id so embarrass them....

Barabell
by Barbara on Jul. 24, 2013 at 4:29 PM

My son isn't dating yet. I have not talked to him about PDA. I've only talked to him about being respectful to women when he does start dating.

bizzeemom2717
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 4:34 PM
I've talked to my kids about it and why it's not ok
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
atlmom2
by Susie on Jul. 24, 2013 at 5:01 PM
My girls never did that. It is rude and obnoxious. I would stare and give dirty looks if it was other kids.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
pokey-pwa
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 5:04 PM

I have talked to mine about this.  At first they didnt see why it was a big deal so I asked them how they would feel if they saw me and DH making out in food court at the mall.  Or if we took them and their friends to the movies and all DH and I did while we were there was make out.  That made them see what was so gross about it...lol

OHgirlinCA
by Bronze Member on Jul. 24, 2013 at 5:09 PM

I haven't had to say anything to my kids.  I think they realize that if they don't want to see others doing something, others don't want to see them doing it either. 

boys2men2soon
by Kimberly on Jul. 24, 2013 at 8:28 PM

Yes, I have.    My son's girlfriend was attached to him like velcro the first time she joined us for a family birthday celebration...with extended family.    It was horrid!  She was glued to his side, or sitting on his lap.... though they were not kissing, Thank Goodness.    I tried to handle the situation with humor by making comments about superglue and velco and three legged races.

Once I got my son alone I explained that their behavior was inappropriate and made everyone else uncomfortable.   I simply told him that she would not be invited again if they did not act appropriately.   End of issue.

JessicaR7
by Member on Jul. 24, 2013 at 10:35 PM
The most I've seen is my daughter snuggling with her boyfriends on the couch. They've been around family and I've never seen them sitting on each others lap or kissing. But she has a younger brother so I think she is aware of the example she sets for her brother.
fammatthews4
by Trisha on Jul. 25, 2013 at 9:33 AM

I would definitely say something to my kids if they demonstrated this this type of behavior.  So far we haven't had any issues though

MrsBLB
by on Jul. 25, 2013 at 10:16 AM

Same here.

Quoting bizzeemom2717:

I've talked to my kids about it and why it's not ok

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN