Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

College move in

Posted by on Jul. 5, 2013 at 6:20 AM
  • 13 Replies

Hi all.

my 18 dd is attending college away next month. How long should I be with her to help moving her in?. We are 9 hours away and we are driving. I would like at least 2 nights to rest Before returning home.

the plan is arrive tues, leave Friday.

How sad will I be?

thank you.

by on Jul. 5, 2013 at 6:20 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
atlmom2
by Susie on Jul. 5, 2013 at 8:32 AM
We had parent orientation. Parent meeting at the school of business. Also a big convocation for all parents. We stayed all night at a hotel and saw her the next day. We took her to Walmart and took her to lunch, then left. Moving in was fast. She was unpacked in less than 2 hours. She moved in Saturday, we left Sunday afternoon. She is 7 hours away. It is sad but we became empty nesters and we actually love it. After a month we enjoyed it a lot.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Carmel63
by Bronze Member on Jul. 5, 2013 at 8:39 AM

My daughter will be going to school 3 hours away, and the impression I get is that they want us gone pretty much right away.  Move in for her will be at 8am on a Sunday, and classes start Tuesday.  They will be doing "first year" activities both Sunday and Monday.

Edit to add, our orientation was a few weeks ago.

Not_A_Native
by Bronze Member on Jul. 5, 2013 at 9:39 AM

I've moved 2 in, going with the 3rd this summer.

I have always gotten there the day before the official "move in" day.  Move in in early morning.  Then typically, the college and/or dorm has "student only" programs (orientation, getting along with roommates, and so on) where I would be on my own.  The next day, each one has invariably found things they NEED to have that we didn't think of - or there are things they brought that they have decided they don't want to keep with them/don't have room for.  So generally, some time spent with them (a couple hours). 

Then usually one dinner with them, and off the next morning.  But make plans for yourself in the town - they will want to be spending time with their roommates and so on, NOT with you  Don't be sad - they are starting on a wonderful new part of life.

luckysevenwow
by Platinum Member on Jul. 5, 2013 at 10:11 AM

We drove six hours, moved his stuff in, took him to lunch and then left. That seemed to be pretty normal. We had to leave cause husband had to work that same night, but I don't think we would have stuck around anyways, it would have been like pulling the band-aid off slowly.

sahlady
by Gold Member on Jul. 5, 2013 at 11:59 AM

wow.... Im starting to feel silly.  We were given a specific move in day (a wednesday) but told for $35/day we could move in up to 4 days early.  We were going to move in about 2 days early (a monday).  I was planning on flying in on a saturday and flying out on thursday.  We will have to pick up all her items at bed, bath, & beyond, go to the market, and I wanted a chance to meet her roommate and her roommates mom

Ceremony
by Member on Jul. 5, 2013 at 11:59 AM
Thank you all.
I will definitely make plans for me in town. Glad I asked. I may shorten the stay and head home earlier.
Do you think meeting the roommate is a good idea for me? Or meeting roommates parents?
atlmom2
by Susie on Jul. 5, 2013 at 12:07 PM
When we were nearly unpacked her roommate and her mom showed up. Dd's roommate was a loser, very rude but didn't know from that day.
Dd had to get her card with money on it so dh went with her. She also go her books on move in day. Parents of girls seemed to hang more helping them unpack rather than the guys.

Quoting Ceremony:

Thank you all.

I will definitely make plans for me in town. Glad I asked. I may shorten the stay and head home earlier.

Do you think meeting the roommate is a good idea for me? Or meeting roommates parents?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
atlmom2
by Susie on Jul. 5, 2013 at 12:09 PM
Your dd will be busy with her new friends. I would plan a day to shop and get it all, 2 days max. You will be alone doing nothing.

Quoting sahlady:

wow.... Im starting to feel silly.  We were given a specific move in day (a wednesday) but told for $35/day we could move in up to 4 days early.  We were going to move in about 2 days early (a monday).  I was planning on flying in on a saturday and flying out on thursday.  We will have to pick up all her items at bed, bath, & beyond, go to the market, and I wanted a chance to meet her roommate and her roommates mom

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
drfink
by Emily on Jul. 5, 2013 at 12:24 PM
1 mom liked this

Our daughter was 16 hours away.She could have her car so we packed it and drove.We spent the night in a hotel a couple of hours away from campus.Got there early the next morning ,she attended the out of state orientation that day ,we went to a parents deal ,unpacked ,looked around the town ,shopped ,set her up for rush,spent the night ,took her suite mate and her to breakfast and lunch ,she took us to the airport in the late afternoon .

I had a very tough time letting her go but I think it was also because my oldest was deployed and off base for at least a month at a time so zero communication ,my youngest was starting middle school.I hugged and smiled till I got on the plane then lost it.

Some friends and I had a pity party...we had wine ,whined,wine,ate ,whined,cried ,wine, ate some more ,cried some more.I felt so much better after the pity party.We have done it since for other moms.For me/us it kind of gets it out and helps move on.

sahlady
by Gold Member on Jul. 5, 2013 at 2:58 PM

I figured fly in on sat (younger daughter will be picked up at airport by grandparents), sun pick up items, mon move in, tues go to market, wed younger daughter will be delivered to college town, family picnic hosted by school, thur leave.

Quoting atlmom2:

Your dd will be busy with her new friends. I would plan a day to shop and get it all, 2 days max. You will be alone doing nothing.

Quoting sahlady:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)