Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

Mandatory drug testing in schools?

Posted by on Jul. 9, 2013 at 11:47 AM
  • 29 Replies

My neighbor and babysitter just received her athletics letter in the mail. In it, it states that all student athletes would be subject to random drug screening via a lottery system during the school year.

Do you think it is a good idea to drug screen students? 

Should it be all students? Just athletes? What about the students who drive and have parking permits? 

by on Jul. 9, 2013 at 11:47 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Niccalyn
by Bronze Member on Jul. 9, 2013 at 12:11 PM

They do this at my daughters' high school.  My oldest was tested last year.  It was actually kind of a bonding experience with the kids who got pulled at the same time as her--they became friends.  She has one friend who has been tested 3 times.  It does seem pretty random (the friend that has been tested multiple times is the biggest do-gooder in the school!).  Our school has 4000+ students so I think they have to narrow down the testing pool somehow which is why they only do athletes.  Also to make sure no one is on performance-enhancing drugs.  I don't have a problem with it.

atlmom2
by Susie on Jul. 9, 2013 at 1:39 PM
Our school has done it for years for clubs, athletics, and anything you represent the school for. If you have nothing to hide, who cares. Oldest got picked 2 times.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Jessiejack
by Silver Member on Jul. 9, 2013 at 3:00 PM

My DD's school does not do this but I would not have a problem with it. I think its a good idea. As far as kids in sports vs the rest of the school, I think that schools hold athletes to a higher standard and it a place for the school to start.

chattycassie
by Bronze Member on Jul. 9, 2013 at 3:23 PM

I think its a waste of school money to be honest. I would rather that money be spent on books and other things in the classroom. It is my job not the schools to keep my kids off drugs. Maybe if she was an athlete to test for performance enhancers but the entire school? What a waste of resources. To have full  disclosure I have caught my teen with marijuana and took steps at home to fix this issue.

atlmom2
by Susie on Jul. 9, 2013 at 3:33 PM
It is about 10 kids a week, randomly. If caught they are kicked out of sports. It is more to deter kids from drinking and doing drugs.

Quoting chattycassie:

I think its a waste of school money to be honest. I would rather that money be spent on books and other things in the classroom. It is my job not the schools to keep my kids off drugs. Maybe if she was an athlete to test for performance enhancers but the entire school? What a waste of resources. To have full  disclosure I have caught my teen with marijuana and took steps at home to fix this issue.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
drfink
by Emily on Jul. 9, 2013 at 3:38 PM

Mine have all been on athletic teams and academic teams so have been tested or are subject to random testing.I'm not sure about the whole school but I don't think they are.Our school does look for enhancement drugs also.

The district runs the dogs through the parking lot.My daughter was hit for weapons several times.She allowed a couple of freshman to put their clubs in her car in the a.m. ,they rode with her to golf practice at the off site course during last and after school.

Apparently the dogs can smell excessive types of metal.Once one of the officers was in a bad mood one day,was yanking out the bags and dumped on purpose my daughters and the other girls very nice ,very expensive clubs on the parking lot cement ,yanked open the ball pockets and let the balls go everywhere while making rich kid comments....My daughter was present ,she asked for the officer in charge to come over ,they called him ,she told him very politely what had happened ,told him how much her set of clubs cost us ,the other officer standing there backed her up and the jerk officer had to pick up the clubs and balls.

luckysevenwow
by Platinum Member on Jul. 9, 2013 at 5:23 PM

I wouldn't think the whole school is a bright idea, the cost just doesn't make sense, but in an athletic situation or a team that represents the school. I'm fine with.

Sat3409
by on Jul. 9, 2013 at 5:29 PM

yes its a good idea all students..they should of did this along time ago.

bizzeemom2717
by on Jul. 9, 2013 at 6:03 PM

Quoting atlmom2:

Our school has done it for years for clubs, athletics, and anything you represent the school for. If you have nothing to hide, who cares. Oldest got picked 2 times.

My DD's and Ds's school is the same. My Ds got picked 3 times all through HS my DD only once last year.

atlmom2
by Susie on Jul. 9, 2013 at 6:35 PM
My youngest never got picked.

Quoting bizzeemom2717:

Quoting atlmom2:

My DD's and Ds's school is the same. My Ds got picked 3 times all through HS my DD only once last year.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN