Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

What is it like?

Posted by on Jul. 9, 2013 at 11:55 AM
  • 12 Replies

What was high school orientation like in your teens school?  My 14 yo dd will be starting high school and I have no clue what the orientation will be like as I don't have any other kids that have gone through it.  I have a few friends but their kids are much older and I suspect things have changed.  One thing too the school she is going into is still being built but it is supposed to be done for the new school year. Is it always about a week before school starts? Is it true that 9th graders get picked on (u know a pecking order). I would thing the no-bullying laws would handle that but don't know.confused

by on Jul. 9, 2013 at 11:55 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
my2kidsmom9498
by Bronze Member on Jul. 9, 2013 at 12:04 PM

My ds is a sophmore in HS and dd is a sophmore in college.  Both play sports, are in clubs, art, music, etc...  The worse thing that happened to them in 9th grade was upper classmen, usually their good friends, would throw a penny at them.  Freshmen have no sense (cents).  Both loved their freshman years and high school in general.  My one piece of advice is to back off, a lot!  Let him figure out orientation, classes, lockers and all that goes with it. 

atlmom2
by Susie on Jul. 9, 2013 at 2:36 PM
We went one evening to a 2 hour orientation during 8th grade.

New freshman go the day before everyone else. The principal talks for an hour to the kids. They go to each class for 15 min each. Then they break up into small groups run by upper classman for the rest of the day.
They go a month before school with a parent to pay fees, get books and locker assignment. Freshman don't get picked on anymore than any kids do. Our school has freshman and sophomores in one building and juniors and seniors in another.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
drfink
by Emily on Jul. 9, 2013 at 3:24 PM

My youngest is a sophomore in high school.Our freshman orientation is from 8:30 till 2: 00.They have some light breakfast snacks ,milk and oj .They go into a welcome meeting and are divided in to their house /school...mostly based on elective orientation and magnet academic program.They tour the school ,get locker assignments ,school provides pizza ,go over student handbook ,divide up have a cheer contest and other school spirit activities.

The school is set up to have the book room open till 6 for those that want to get their id and books that day.ID's are available to be made starting the Monday of that week.Mine get the ID's made Monday morning then they are able to get books easily while most are getting IDs made to get books.There are other ID book room days.

Our school also uses upperclassmen to help that day .

Mine have not complained of bullying as freshman....though we have a commons and massive patio for lunch.Outside there are tons of picnic style tables and steps designed for sitting and eating.Some are known ...the primo spots ...as senior areas but it isn't a bullying issue.It is just known seniors earned the area ...lol

bizzeemom2717
by on Jul. 9, 2013 at 5:04 PM

My youngest was a freshman last year and my DS graduated HS in 2011. My Ds went to a small HS with 150 graduates in his senior class, my DD will have about 400 in her's. Bothy kids didn't experience any bullying or picking on. It seems to be the opposite with the older kids really helping out the younger ones in our area. The freshman orientation was for the kids. My Ds I don't really remember, my DD's was a few  hours and they took them just on a tour around the school and talked about clubs, activities, ect.

bizzeemom2717
by on Jul. 9, 2013 at 5:05 PM

Quoting my2kidsmom9498:

My ds is a sophmore in HS and dd is a sophmore in college.  Both play sports, are in clubs, art, music, etc...  The worse thing that happened to them in 9th grade was upper classmen, usually their good friends, would throw a penny at them.  Freshmen have no sense (cents).  Both loved their freshman years and high school in general.  My one piece of advice is to back off, a lot!  Let him figure out orientation, classes, lockers and all that goes with it. 

Yep, I backed off as well good advice. It's def time to let your kids start growing their wings...

luckysevenwow
by Platinum Member on Jul. 9, 2013 at 5:13 PM

I'm not sure if ours even does them. 

Ours has orientation the first day of school, they get lockers, classes all of that stuff then.

02nana07
by Ida on Jul. 9, 2013 at 10:49 PM

most do it the 1st day of school they go to the gym and learn about the school and some of the rules.

HilbillyMamaof3
by on Jul. 9, 2013 at 11:16 PM
We went to one at the end of the year. They went over the rules/expectations, clubs, sports, classes. It took about 2 hours. Then we signed her up for classes. They made recommendations for which classes to take and explained the AP classes. Some teachers were there and all of the guidance councilors, deans and the principle.
I think the kids get a little gruff, it's a right of passage. all in fun, when i was freshman they taped diapers to our lockers and would tell us the wrong way to class if you were lost. Stuff like that. in dds school the eighth graders would make a chain across the hall and not let them pass, they ended up in trouble and it stopped. I agree with backing off a little, this is there time to spread their wings.
HilbillyMamaof3
by on Jul. 9, 2013 at 11:16 PM
We went to one at the end of the year. They went over the rules/expectations, clubs, sports, classes. It took about 2 hours. Then we signed her up for classes. They made recommendations for which classes to take and explained the AP classes. Some teachers were there and all of the guidance councilors, deans and the principle.
I think the kids get a little gruff, it's a right of passage. all in fun, when i was freshman they taped diapers to our lockers and would tell us the wrong way to class if you were lost. Stuff like that. in dds school the eighth graders would make a chain across the hall and not let them pass, they ended up in trouble and it stopped. I agree with backing off a little, this is there time to spread their wings.
boys2men2soon
by Kimberly on Jul. 9, 2013 at 11:26 PM

Quoting atlmom2:

We went one evening to a 2 hour orientation during 8th grade.

New freshman go the day before everyone else. The principal talks for an hour to the kids. They go to each class for 15 min each. Then they break up into small groups run by upper classman for the rest of the day.
They go a month before school with a parent to pay fees, get books and locker assignment. Freshman don't get picked on anymore than any kids do. Our school has freshman and sophomores in one building and juniors and seniors in another.

This was the same set up as our school......  except there are not separate buildings underclassmen.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN