Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

made a mistake on the college travel.

Posted by on Jul. 9, 2013 at 9:10 PM
  • 18 Replies

Some one did give me advice about making sure that the college isnt too far from the airport, and making sure that the college has a shuttle.  So I did.  But Im just now realizing that there are NO direct flights from our city to the airport by her college.

GRRRRRRRRRR!  Duh, should have thought about that one too!

anyone else make this mistake too?

I can get a direct flight from the airport that is 100 miles from here.  And we might do that, it is about a 2.5 hour drive and might save us a couple hundred per flight.

by on Jul. 9, 2013 at 9:10 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
DropZoneMom
by on Jul. 9, 2013 at 9:24 PM

I live in a very rural area of the country, and our regional airport doesn't have direct flights ANYWHERE.  I'd rather have a 1/2-hour drive than drive 100 miles to get to an airport that has direct flights.   But that's just me.

sahlady
by Gold Member on Jul. 9, 2013 at 9:27 PM

problem is that the two main airports that she would have to transfer at are Denver and Chicago.... Denver might not be too bad.  But I have spent WAY too many nights in Chicago because of weather delays.  I will do anything, including a 100 mile drive, to avoid having to transfer in Chicago.

Quoting DropZoneMom:

I live in a very rural area of the country, and our regional airport doesn't have direct flights ANYWHERE.  I'd rather have a 1/2-hour drive than drive 100 miles to get to an airport that has direct flights.   But that's just me.

atlmom2
by Susie on Jul. 9, 2013 at 9:36 PM
No mistake. No direct flights anywhere from her hardly. Dd doesn't fly a lotc but some. Connections are fine. My dd is a world traveler anyway. She got stuck in Atlanta all alone last weekend for the night.
No reason for a direct flight to me. She can make a connection. We drive and fly out of Chicago or make connections. No issue but usually not flying in winter. Dd did once and no issue in FEB.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sahlady
by Gold Member on Jul. 9, 2013 at 9:39 PM

Im not worried about the connections.... Im worried about the weather.  Chicago sucks.... I have been caught there because of weather during every season.  And Denver I cant imagine will be much better when she is flying Nov. Dec. Jan. and April.... maybe April will be fine.

I guess we will just have to pad her traveling time to allow for the issues.  Stinks all the same.

Quoting atlmom2:

No mistake. No direct flights anywhere from her hardly. Dd doesn't fly a lotc but some. Connections are fine. My dd is a world traveler anyway. She got stuck in Atlanta all alone last weekend for the night.
No reason for a direct flight to me. She can make a connection. We drive and fly out of Chicago or make connections. No issue but usually not flying in winter. Dd did once and no issue in FEB.

Ceremony
by Member on Jul. 9, 2013 at 10:11 PM

I looked and looked at so many alternative trips including trains. The most direct will still be 1 1/2 hr shuttle in ohio. The college has a great shuttle service from what I could tell online.  I booked the thanksgiving trip for my DD. guess I should check the Christmas now too.

i agree totally on the Chicago stop. Awful to be stuck there. Happened to us. Yuck.

Ceremony
by Member on Jul. 9, 2013 at 10:12 PM

Would you have selected college if you knew?

atlmom2
by Susie on Jul. 9, 2013 at 10:15 PM
We live in Milwaukee and deal with weather 5 months a year anyway.

Quoting sahlady:

Im not worried about the connections.... Im worried about the weather.  Chicago sucks.... I have been caught there because of weather during every season.  And Denver I cant imagine will be much better when she is flying Nov. Dec. Jan. and April.... maybe April will be fine.

I guess we will just have to pad her traveling time to allow for the issues.  Stinks all the same.

Quoting atlmom2:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
02nana07
by Ida on Jul. 9, 2013 at 10:54 PM

my kids have picked a local college so that isn't a problem.

boys2men2soon
by Kimberly on Jul. 9, 2013 at 11:11 PM

Ugh!   That is a bummer!   You will have to make that drive when she comes home for school breaks, too.  Is there a puddle Jumper from the airport 2 hours away to your local airport?

sahlady
by Gold Member on Jul. 9, 2013 at 11:12 PM
1 mom liked this

there is a small plane.  we will see how much that raises the price.  my dad lives nearer to the other airport so we could spend the night there for an early flight out.

Quoting boys2men2soon:

Ugh!   That is a bummer!   You will have to make that drive when she comes home for school breaks, too.  Is there a puddle Jumper from the airport 2 hours away to your local airport?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN