Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How to have THE TALK with your teen

Posted by on Jul. 10, 2013 at 12:42 AM
  • 20 Replies

Hey everyone!

What advice can you give about having THE TALK with your teen. Need a little help.

Thanks!

by on Jul. 10, 2013 at 12:42 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Jinx-Troublex3
by Bronze Member on Jul. 10, 2013 at 12:50 AM
It shouldn't he one talk..it should be an ongoing discussion.

I did the big initial talk around age 10-11. Then as things come up, we discuss it.
bizzeemom2717
by Jen on Jul. 10, 2013 at 1:01 AM
Exactly or it will be awkward. I actually started talking to my kids even earlier. We had "safe touch" bathing suit areas...talks starting at 3 and made age appropriate from then on. I let my kids know ANY question they could feel confortable coming to me. Don't make it ONE conversation. It would be way too awkward for both of you. Try to be as casual as possible. Maybe in the car? The kids and I have lots of good discussions there

Quoting Jinx-Troublex3:

I did the big initial talk around age 10-11. Then as things come up, we discuss it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AmericanChild82
by Member on Jul. 10, 2013 at 1:07 AM
It has been an on going talk since my kids were like 3 or 4.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Jinx-Troublex3
by Bronze Member on Jul. 10, 2013 at 1:29 AM
I agree we started safe touch and private area talks pretty young...toddler to pre-k age. I just didn't get into the mechanics of reproduction until 10-11 yo.

Quoting bizzeemom2717:

Exactly or it will be awkward. I actually started talking to my kids even earlier. We had "safe touch" bathing suit areas...talks starting at 3 and made age appropriate from then on. I let my kids know ANY question they could feel confortable coming to me. Don't make it ONE conversation. It would be way too awkward for both of you. Try to be as casual as possible. Maybe in the car? The kids and I have lots of good discussions there

Quoting Jinx-Troublex3:

Msgme
by Bronze Member on Jul. 10, 2013 at 9:43 AM

I agree with everyone else.  For us the tallks started with the safe touch etc.. when they were very young pre school age around there. As they got older the talks got more in depth. By 10 we had fully covered all of the stuff "THE TALK" would have.  Its been ongoing ever since.  When my son last year came home and told us about his first girlfriend (he was 15 ) and she was pregnant with her 2nd child we sat down and had a very long conversation.   and when boys came into the picture for my teen dd we also sat down and went over everything once again in a BIG TALK. but then went right back to talking about it often just not in a big sit down gotta have the talk way.

atlmom2
by Susie on Jul. 10, 2013 at 9:53 AM
2 moms liked this
The talk starts way before the teen years and continues and continues. Talk about your values and morals also.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Lovinme2784
by on Jul. 10, 2013 at 10:21 AM
My son is 12 we started at 3 with good touch bad touch as he got older and into girls by age 8 we talked about kissing and touching with the opposite sex and then when he got a phone we talked about inappropriate text behaviour and sex actual intercourse, I got him a pamphlet on sex and he asked questions that was at 11 now we talk periodically about everything he's 12 it's never ending and it will never stop especially when he thinks he's ready
marie2409
by on Jul. 10, 2013 at 10:27 AM
This exactly. Use teaching moments and discuss as things come up throughout their lives.

Quoting AmericanChild82:

It has been an on going talk since my kids were like 3 or 4.
HilbillyMamaof3
by on Jul. 10, 2013 at 10:37 AM
I agree with everyone else. I always laugh about the fact that sex talk is table talk around here. My kids say I'm like the mom from Meet the Parents.
I know many would disagree with me, but there is a lot to be said about slang. My kids know the technical terms, but lets be honest, when they are with friends at school wherever, slang is what they will hear.
I use the urban dictionary more than ever thought possible. I honestly don't know what half the crap is my nine year old comes home with, and neither does he for that matter. But I learn, and honestly a lot of times tell him, and usually tell him if I catch him saying it again I'm putting soap in his mouth.

I want them to KNOW, if a boy says something nasty to them, wth he is talking about. By now you're not just talkin the birds and the bees.
tyfry7496
by Silver Member on Jul. 10, 2013 at 11:18 PM
1 mom liked this
Start out by asking what they already know. You waited way too long to have "the talk".
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)