Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

Jobs

Posted by on Jul. 10, 2013 at 11:25 AM
  • 28 Replies

Did you let your teen get a job? Do they work during the school year or just the summer? Did they have trouble finding one?

by on Jul. 10, 2013 at 11:25 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MJP76
by on Jul. 10, 2013 at 11:33 AM

My oldest has had a job since he was 15 working for the martial arts establishment he's been going to since he was 5. He did work during the school year, but he also had really good grades.

my DD is now 16. she struggles in school, so I doubt I will allow her to get a job. I don't want her stretching her responsibilities so thin. She wants a job, and has asked for a job. I have said no, on a few occasions. 

chattycassie
by Bronze Member on Jul. 10, 2013 at 11:38 AM

My daughter who is 14 now is looking like mad for a summer job. In AZ it is legal for her to work but NO ONE will hire her. I guess babysitting it is. I do not want her to have a job during the school year I want her to focus on school.

atlmom2
by Susie on Jul. 10, 2013 at 11:48 AM
Neither got jobs in hs. School was their job. Summers they took tennis and then school tennis started 3 to 4 weeks before school started also. School tennis is 6 days a week.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lucky2Beeme
by Gold Member on Jul. 10, 2013 at 12:49 PM

My sons by choice starting working at ages 12 and 13. They job shared a full time daycare job during summer. The once they hit 14 worked pt weekends in catering. By 16 they could afford 1/2 the car insurance, gas, date money and had plenty of spending money. Even with playing 1 or 2 sports they had time to work. Many times they took 1 week night  shift & a Sunday at a retail store that paid  time and 1/2 for Sundays. Finding jobs was not hard at all.

SugarrCane
My son has senior portraits tomorrow! Time really does fly!
Yesterday at 12:23 AM
by Member on Jul. 10, 2013 at 1:04 PM

My 16 year old son has a sign spinning job that he does a couple of hours per day for my husband's family's business.  It's perfect for Summer!  Once tennis starts, he may have to take a little break or get a different schedule.

drfink
by Emily on Jul. 10, 2013 at 1:10 PM

Mine have all been babysitters for neighbors ...even my sons.In a sporadic manner.

They all go to camp for a month and have been CIT 's at camp.My 16 y.o. was hired very part time at our club for the rest of the summer.He is kind of a jack of all trades.He is a pool boy or he might help in the casual cafe.He works about 15 hours a week and is paid 10 per hour.So far so good .It hasn't interfered with his friends or other things he actively does.It seems to have replaced games ,youtube watching ,junk time.He will quit before school and we have already turned in the back to school activity schedule ...LAX practice ,TPRO camp...a half day ,Jr. day and it was all approved or he would quit earlier.He has direct deposit and has plans to save it all.We are still giving him an allowance.

My older two also worked sporadically after camp.My oldest was a sub life guard at our club ,my daughter was a part time nanny for a month 10 till 2.The parents also belonged to our club so she took them to their swim ,tennis and golf lessons.

No one works during the school year .

Sonflower71
by on Jul. 10, 2013 at 1:16 PM
1 mom liked this

My daughter had her own odd jobs/ lawn business, she could set her own hours and rake in the bucks, (no pun intended). She hated the thought of babysitting, she would rather do hard labor. She would make anywhere from $20-$50/hour being her own boss.

mumsy2three
by Shauna on Jul. 10, 2013 at 1:30 PM

My dd chose to get a part time job when she was 16.

Jessiejack
by Silver Member on Jul. 10, 2013 at 2:51 PM

My DD is working on her lifeguarding certification right now. She will be working summers at the beach and we are hoping she can get a job at the local pool for the weekends only during the school year.

kimsamomof3
by Member on Jul. 10, 2013 at 3:04 PM
1 mom liked this
Yes, my son has worked since 16 years old. He needs to learn how to be responsible and help pay his car insurance.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)