Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Posted by on Jul. 12, 2013 at 10:46 AM
  • 16 Replies

Am I being reasonable or too controlling.

I do not allow my 15 y/o to Skype after we go to bed.  I also do not allow her to Skype/video chat with boys with her room door closed.

Other than that, I do not mind if she is on Skype and who with (meaning her friends, not strangers or adult acquaintances).

by on Jul. 12, 2013 at 10:46 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
atlmom2
by Susie on Jul. 12, 2013 at 11:02 AM
1 mom liked this
Computers in our home were always in public areas only. No privacy. Mine really didn't skype much in HS. It was a new thing, lol. No phone or computer after 9pm anyway.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
fammatthews4
by Trisha on Jul. 12, 2013 at 11:26 AM

I don't think you are being unreasonable.  Mine use Skype but most of the time it's the chat (text) feature rather than the video feature.  

dandylynes
by Bronze Member on Jul. 12, 2013 at 11:38 AM

She uses that on her phone also, just late at night we don't like video chatting if we are sleeping.  I was wondering if it's time to relax our rule on that, or keep it til she's 16.

Quoting fammatthews4:

I don't think you are being unreasonable.  Mine use Skype but most of the time it's the chat (text) feature rather than the video feature.  

chattycassie
by Bronze Member on Jul. 12, 2013 at 11:58 AM

My daughter who is 14 doesn't use skype but she is not allowed to talk to boys with the door closed at all. I think you are being very reasonable.

chattycassie
by Bronze Member on Jul. 12, 2013 at 12:04 PM

I would keep up probably longer but that is just me

Quoting dandylynes:

She uses that on her phone also, just late at night we don't like video chatting if we are sleeping.  I was wondering if it's time to relax our rule on that, or keep it til she's 16.

Quoting fammatthews4:

katydon
by Member on Jul. 12, 2013 at 3:40 PM

I let my DD because her best friend is in Europe for the summer and there is a 7 hour time difference. My DD has her own laptop anyways and usually uses it in her room. 

dandylynes
by Bronze Member on Jul. 12, 2013 at 3:45 PM

I would let my daughter do that too, in that circumstance.

Mine has her own laptop also, which is why we had to make the no video chatting after our bedtime rule.  There are always exceptions to it though.

Quoting katydon:

I let my DD because her best friend is in Europe for the summer and there is a 7 hour time difference. My DD has her own laptop anyways and usually uses it in her room. 

luckysevenwow
by Platinum Member on Jul. 12, 2013 at 4:31 PM

Totally reasonable!

GleekingOut
by Silver Member on Jul. 12, 2013 at 6:48 PM
My DD is not allowed to voice chat after 8.30 because she is so damn loud. Besides that, I don't care what she does, she's 21
bizzeemom2717
by Jen on Jul. 12, 2013 at 7:55 PM

Yep, I agree good boundaries. We have similar rules with her facetime, same thing on iphone.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)