Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

I have a 15 1/2 yo daughter, and nearly 13 yo son..............Topic: CUTTING

Posted by on Jul. 12, 2013 at 11:36 PM
  • 19 Replies

My daughter started cutting earlier this year, i'm sure after some influence from a cousin she admires who was doing  the same. Counseling, anti-dep., trying to keep open communication....what else?

by on Jul. 12, 2013 at 11:36 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
bizzeemom2717
by on Jul. 13, 2013 at 12:28 AM
Here is a (((hug))) and a bump as I have a dd the same age but not much experience. I also saw that you bumped or someone did another cutting post. Hope you find some support.
My DD's very close friend started cutting about a year and a half ago the summer before 8th grade. Her parents didn't know for the first few months until one of the girls in their group of friends told the middle school counselor who told her parents. I know the friend and entire family have gone through quite a bit of family as well as individual counseling for her. She's now doing well, just finished her freshman year and stays BUSY. Her mother has told me more than once that the key is to keep her dd busy. Nor sure if this helps. Hang in there, hope everything works out very soon.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bizzeemom2717
by on Jul. 13, 2013 at 12:31 AM
Oh and as far as I know..this girl does spend the night quite often and is open..she doesn't and never did take medications for the cutting. It seemed to be all behavior (cognitive behavioral therapy) that worked well for her.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
momto2inflorida
by Member on Jul. 13, 2013 at 1:29 AM
1 mom liked this

When I was younger I did stuggle with self injury I started when I was 15 and I stopped when I was 17. The first step is to find a good therapist I saw many different therapists before I found the right one for me. I was never on medication but if you think your dd needs meds see a psychiatrist. Also don't get angry at your dd my mom got angry when she found out I self injuryed. Tell your dd everything is alright and that nothing bad will happen. Also find a sport or activity that your dd likes to do and is good at. Don't take away her tools if she doesn't want to stop then she will use anything to self injury. Self injury is an addiction like drugs and alcohol. When a person is in deep emotional pain and they self injury the body releases endorphins which then makes the person feel contempt. Also most people who self injury have very low self esteem and they hate themselves alot.

sondamom0828
by on Jul. 13, 2013 at 2:30 AM

I am a cutter.  Talk about the dangers of cutting.  Try to find out what is going on to make her cut.  Lack of emotions (feeling nothing/numb) or feeling too much negative emotions.  Also find out if it might be a suicide attempt.

PurpleHazey
by on Jul. 13, 2013 at 8:16 AM
1 mom liked this

Omg, I honestly think it is a faze with the kids for attention, there friends do it so they do it and so on. I think they all need help and better friends.

PurpleHazey
by on Jul. 13, 2013 at 8:17 AM

Quoting sondamom0828:

I am a cutter.  Talk about the dangers of cutting.  Try to find out what is going on to make her cut.  Lack of emotions (feeling nothing/numb) or feeling too much negative emotions.  Also find out if it might be a suicide attempt.

Where is the selfcontrol, as an adult one should beable to control their actions. 

PurpleHazey
by on Jul. 13, 2013 at 8:18 AM

Quoting bizzeemom2717:

Oh and as far as I know..this girl does spend the night quite often and is open..she doesn't and never did take medications for the cutting. It seemed to be all behavior (cognitive behavioral therapy) that worked well for her.

That is good to hear.

RunningMommaof2
by on Jul. 13, 2013 at 8:24 AM
I was a cutter. I'll tell you that meds won't do much for her. They mask, but can't fix emotions. Everyone's story is different but I was a cutter because I had a lot of self disgust and I was very alone. Hear your dd out, do things with her, be a big supporter. One thing someone said to me that made me want to stop is ... " what are you going to tell your children someday when they ask about all these scars?"
RunningMommaof2
by on Jul. 13, 2013 at 8:28 AM
3 moms liked this
When you don't understand things, sometimes it's best to just keep your mouth shut. Your comments are not helpful to a person that is already struggling. Passing judgement on a person who probably already harshly judges themself will only make matters worse.

Quoting PurpleHazey:

Quoting sondamom0828:

Where is the selfcontrol, as an adult one should beable to control their actions. 

PurpleHazey
by on Jul. 13, 2013 at 8:34 AM

Quoting RunningMommaof2:

When you don't understand things, sometimes it's best to just keep your mouth shut. Your comments are not helpful to a person that is already struggling. Passing judgement on a person who probably already harshly judges themself will only make matters worse.

Quoting PurpleHazey:

Quoting sondamom0828:

I do understand it and as an adult we should use selfcontrol. We should teach our child how to use selfcontrol. I feel everyone of us have control over what we do, but then again almost 75 % of people are taking some form of meds for anything from pain to depression. Why not use selfcontrol and learn to deal with the way life works.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN