Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

I'm already thinking about DS's graduation party!

Posted by on Jul. 13, 2013 at 3:18 PM
  • 20 Replies
I know it's literally 9 months away but I worry about stuff like this. Especially since I have 5 kids- & 4 of them (including DS) have birthdays in the spring. End of school is May 30th. DS's last day will probably be a week or 2 before that with graduation either the last week of May or 1st week of June. 10yo & 4yo DSs have birthdays the 27th & 28th of May. I also have a DD who has a birthday beginning of March. Oldest DS's birthday is at the beginning of April. He will be 18 then. I was thinking a surprise double party- birthday & graduation combo. The more I think about it the less I like the idea- that IMO is almost like having your birthday close to Christmas. But would having a graduation party in early May be tacky? The other problem I have is my ex has a DS who has a birthday beginning of May that I have to work around. This boy isn't my DS's half brother but he is my younger kids' half brother. And my ex was like a father figure to my DS for a few years. And as long as I'm at my current job I am looking at getting paid the 9th of May (weekend of ex's son's bday) & the weekend before my younger sons' bdays. Good gravy I have to be worrying about nothing right??? I mean if I plan I could have DS's grad party the weekend between those dates. But that's a lot on my plate party-wise 2 weekends in a row. Maybe I'll just scale back & not have full blown parties for my bday boys?
by on Jul. 13, 2013 at 3:18 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lucky2Beeme
by Gold Member on Jul. 13, 2013 at 3:25 PM

I dont like the combo grad/bday party. I would start planning for the grad party now. Right now all the paper products and decorations are at 50 or more percent off. Buy them and put them away til next spring. I wouldn't throw his party until after he graduated. Start an envelope maker Grad party, Every week add $20/25 to it. By june next year you'll have more than $2500 for his party. Do birthday envelopes too put in $10 for each kid each pay period.

CampClan
by on Jul. 13, 2013 at 3:33 PM

Have you thrown a grad party??? Do you really think it will cost that much??? Or are you talking this is what it will cost for announcements, pics, etc? That sounds more realistic. But I do like your ideas! Thank you!

ETA Lucky me I threw my mom a 60th birthday party & her fave color is purple & we threw my dad a retirement party & his school colors are maroon & gold- DS's high school colors are purple & gold. So I have SOME napkins, plates, & cups in those colors! LOL

Quoting lucky2Beeme:

I dont like the combo grad/bday party. I would start planning for the grad party now. Right now all the paper products and decorations are at 50 or more percent off. Buy them and put them away til next spring. I wouldn't throw his party until after he graduated. Start an envelope maker Grad party, Every week add $20/25 to it. By june next year you'll have more than $2500 for his party. Do birthday envelopes too put in $10 for each kid each pay period.

atlmom2
by Susie on Jul. 13, 2013 at 4:13 PM
My dd's had their grad parties a few weeks after graduation. Some kids wait and have them in later July even. Kinds nice because they won't be at the same time as friends parties.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
atlmom2
by Susie on Jul. 13, 2013 at 4:17 PM
My DDs parties were cheap. 20 people at most. We don't live by family. 2500 sounds outrageous.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tntmomof2
by on Jul. 13, 2013 at 4:26 PM
I wouldn't do a combined party. It makes both of the occasions less important. I'd rather wait to do the graduation party.

Dds graduation party is next weekend. We preferred to wait until now for a few reasons. 1st- we left (for a week) for the kids national dance competition 2 days after graduation so couldn't do it that weekends. 2nd- we didn't want to book it for the same date as anyone else's. the nice thing about waiting was I got all of the paper goods for 50% off yesterday lol

The price of the party depends on what kind of party you want to have. We've been to backyard graduation parties and huge parties in very expensive catering halls and everything in between. Dd has a learning disability and every day of every year of her schooling was a struggle but she still managed to graduate with an 84 GPA so we are going a bit crazy on her party. I'm just sooooo proud of her accomplishments despite her disability.
my2kidsmom9498
by Bronze Member on Jul. 13, 2013 at 7:01 PM

I did a combo party for my kids. How many times was I going to have family over for cake?  We had confirmation (2 of them), 8th grade gaduation( 2 of them) , 18th birthday and high school graduation.  My family came in from other states.  We had a great time, the kids liked it as well.

lucky2Beeme
by Gold Member on Jul. 13, 2013 at 8:19 PM

Quoting CampClan:

Have you thrown a grad party??? Do you really think it will cost that much??? Or are you talking this is what it will cost for announcements, pics, etc? That sounds more realistic. But I do like your ideas! Thank you!

ETA Lucky me I threw my mom a 60th birthday party & her fave color is purple & we threw my dad a retirement party & his school colors are maroon & gold- DS's high school colors are purple & gold. So I have SOME napkins, plates, & cups in those colors! LOL

Quoting lucky2Beeme:

I have thrown 2 HS grad paerties. We had about 100 guests. We had it in the backyard a pool party. We had the food catered . Decorations, blowup jump house, badmitten set, washer toss, food, booze, chair & table and tent rental I probably spent $1500-$2000.

Surround yourself with people that add to your life not subtract from it.

luckysevenwow
by Platinum Member on Jul. 13, 2013 at 9:15 PM

I would scale back the birthdays, make them smaller, and focus on the child morethen anything. Something smaller and just for them. Then have athe bigger grad party.

CampClan
by on Jul. 14, 2013 at 8:29 AM
That was another thing I had to consider! Ever since youngest 2nd birthday we did combo birthdays for the 2 May kids. I spent $40 on their cake one year (my friend has her own shop). This past May was the 1st. Time we did separate cuz they wanted something different. I ended up going to Kroger for 2 cakes, paying just over $40 for both & they didn't even have either one done when I told them noon pick up but picked up after work at 6! I was pissed because we had to wait on them (they apparently had questions but never called me to ask).

Quoting my2kidsmom9498:

I did a combo party for my kids. How many times was I going to have family over for cake?  We had confirmation (2 of them), 8th grade gaduation( 2 of them) , 18th birthday and high school graduation.  My family came in from other states.  We had a great time, the kids liked it as well.

PurpleHazey
by on Jul. 14, 2013 at 10:36 AM

They are so very costly

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)