Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Problem with DS: He steals & breaks other people's things...

Posted by on Jul. 15, 2013 at 1:19 AM
  • 10 Replies

My DS is 15 and lives with my dd, 12, and I. He has anger issues. He wishes to see his father, but I have lost contact with him. He has broken his sister's laptop. He broke the screen on his (accidentally).  He has mysteriously obtained a cell phone (his sister has reported that she saw it on his bed). I gave him a chance to fess up but to no avail. He spends a lot of time in his bedroom. He stays home a lot. But when i was cross with him about breaking his sis ter's laptop, he stormed out of the house, without a word.

I just don't know what to do with him. Frankly it is a lot calmer in the house with out him here.

Don't know what to do...

by on Jul. 15, 2013 at 1:19 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Monsita
by Bronze Member on Jul. 15, 2013 at 4:32 AM
1 mom liked this

so sorry! he is looking for attention....any kind...even bad attention.

I know it is hard sometimes to get professional help, but you need to help him with his anger issues....if not treated now, it will get worse!

02nana07
by Ida on Jul. 15, 2013 at 7:25 AM

sounds like he needs anger management and you need to get him a job cutting grass or something to pay for his sisters laptop.

atlmom2
by Susie on Jul. 15, 2013 at 7:47 AM
1 mom liked this
Counseling , now.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
fammatthews4
by Trisha on Jul. 15, 2013 at 8:30 AM
1 mom liked this
Counseling (family and personal for him) should be your first step.
drfink
by Emily on Jul. 15, 2013 at 5:59 PM

Quoting fammatthews4:

exactly

bizzeemom2717
by Jen on Jul. 15, 2013 at 8:22 PM

Quoting drfink:

Quoting fammatthews4:

exactly

Yep...it's only going to get worse and sounds like he's already out of your control and breaking the law.

boys2men2soon
by Kimberly on Jul. 16, 2013 at 11:39 AM
1 mom liked this

Counseling ASAP.    Disrespectful, angry boys grow into disrespectful angry men.....  You need to get him under control.    He needs a good male role model, maybe a family member??

MrsBLB
by Missi on Jul. 16, 2013 at 11:54 AM

Quoting bizzeemom2717:

Quoting drfink:

Quoting fammatthews4:

exactly

Yep...it's only going to get worse and sounds like he's already out of your control and breaking the law.

I agree

chattycassie
by Bronze Member on Jul. 16, 2013 at 12:13 PM

Sounds like he needs some extra attention. Maybe get him some professional help? I think he needs to talk to someone about why he is so angry. If he wont talk to you get him some help. :)

v2011
by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 3:08 PM
2 moms liked this

I have had similar problems with my 15 y/o. He got bigger than me and thought he was tough.  It gets hard when they know they can over power you and everyone else in the house.  

Here's the thing...  He is your son and no matter how much easier it is for you when he is gone, you are his only parent and you do not get the luxury of "easy".  And, girl, I'm going thru it too, it's super hard.  You have GOT to give him consequences.  In the real world he would have to pay for that lap top.  Make him get a job, or make him do chores until he has worked it off.  Use the authorities when he is out of control, let him know that you will use your resouces to get him under control.  Contact local churches, see if they have a mentoring program, some offer counseling if you don't have the money for a clinical counselor.  Contact your local human services department for counseling aid if you can't afford one yourself.  Get him into something constructive.  My brother had anger issues, my mom got him into martial arts, it gave him great male rolemodels and it taught him about self control.  But counseling first for sure. 

He needs to know that you love him, that you are willing to stand by him.   I hope the best for you. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)