Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

To get their drivers license do they have to have a letter from the school where you live

Posted by on Jul. 15, 2013 at 7:30 AM
Ida
  • 70 Replies

Here you can't drive if you aren't in  high school and online doesn't count.

If you teach your child and went through the superintendent you can get a letter from them but online doesn't count.

If you quit school before 18 they pull your licence untill you show proof of being in school or graduating.

At 18 you can apply for your license without proof of education.

by on Jul. 15, 2013 at 7:30 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
atlmom2
by Susie on Jul. 15, 2013 at 7:46 AM
Here you have to do drivers ed if under 18. Being in school has nothing to do with it. Parents can't teach kids to drive under 18. I like it that kids have to be in school actually.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
fammatthews4
by Trisha on Jul. 15, 2013 at 8:28 AM
1 mom liked this

I don't think they have rules like that here, however if you fail a class while you have your learners permit they will suspend the permit, also you can't apply for a permit if you have failed a class. You do have to take drivers Ed before getting a learners permit as well if you are under 18.

mumsy2three
by Shauna on Jul. 15, 2013 at 9:28 AM

Not here. Driver's ed is a requirement for graduation but has nothing to do with whether or not you can get your permit or drivers license. We don't even have behind the wheel training available through the school anymore.

A couple of my dd's friends had their permits before they even took drivers ed.

Hannahluvsdogs
by Bronze Member on Jul. 15, 2013 at 10:36 AM

Not here but I think I like that idea.

CaileighsMom608
by on Jul. 15, 2013 at 10:40 AM

i dont know if my town has that rule but its a great one.  You should be educated and speak english to drive a car dont really care if that offends anyone.

mgm_5
by Member on Jul. 15, 2013 at 10:43 AM
here u get a pink slip saying you took drivers Ed and could be online, then u get a permit if you pass your written test, do your 8hrs with an instructor, then u get ur DL, at least that's how it was 15 yrs ago when i got mine, i think it's the same or pretty close
atlmom2
by Susie on Jul. 15, 2013 at 10:43 AM

Now that I think about it they have to prove they have decent grades to get into drivers ed. 

Come join me at The Duggars Debate, The Good, The Bad and the Ugly

Jinx-Troublex3
by Bronze Member on Jul. 15, 2013 at 11:55 AM
Not 100% sure. I know homeschoolers that get their permits at 15. I think you only must show proof of drivers Ed.

That was all I needed many moons ago in public school.
atlmom2
by Susie on Jul. 15, 2013 at 12:09 PM

Quoting Jinx-Troublex3:

Not 100% sure. I know homeschoolers that get their permits at 15. I think you only must show proof of drivers Ed.

That was all I needed many moons ago in public school.

Every state is different.  Ours is 15 1/2.  Some are 14 even.  Way too young to me. 

Come join me at The Duggars Debate, The Good, The Bad and the Ugly

balagan_imma
by Member on Jul. 15, 2013 at 12:14 PM

Here you can take Drivers Ed as early as 14.5, and with it you can get your permit as early as 15. If you don't take drivers ed, you can get your permit at 15.5 with a 5 hour class or at 16 without any classes.

However, to get your license under 18 you have hold your permit for a minimum of a year and do 50 hours of driving, minimum.

DS1 got his permit on Friday, so all of the info is fresh in my mind.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)