Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

I took my 16 year old to the doctors yesterday to find she is going deaf from using her earbuds at a high volume level. The doctor says if she does not  stop using them all together(preferrably) or at least cut the volume level WAY down she will need hearing aides in both her ears by years end.

Doc says she is seeing this come up alot in her practice with teens. Right now my daughters condition is reversable, but only if she makes the lifestyle changes of turning it down. I told my girl really only she has control over her possible hearing loss. I can police her when she is in my presence, but I know she sleeps at night with those darn things in her ears and when she rides the bus to school. It's such a horrible habit!

I wish there was something more I can do as her mom to help her make the changes she needs to make. Her speech has been affected already as she can't hear herself speak and I worry about the upcoming school year and her ability to make the grade when she won't be able to hear the teacher properly.

I've come up with only one idea so far for nighttime music listening- instead of earbuds- listen from the speakers on her phone or get her an IPOD with a port to put by her bed. Some may say "well, don't buy her those earbuds anymore". Yes that is a given, but those of us who know how teenagers work also know how easy it is for them to get a pair from a friend if mom and dad won't comply with their wants (Ive seen this alot with clothes in the past).

Does anyone have any alternative ideas  that will encourage her to stop using them? 

by on Jul. 17, 2013 at 8:21 AM
Replies (11-16):
PurpleHazey
by on Jul. 21, 2013 at 10:24 AM

We can't control how loud their music is when they wear earbuds

PurpleHazey
by on Jul. 21, 2013 at 10:25 AM

Quoting atlmom2:

This generation is all gonna be deaf by 40. Told my dd that. They don't listen. They can pay for their actions later. We can only guide them and let them decide. If you get them to stop at 18 they are gonna do it anyway.

I agree with you

atlmom2
by Susie on Jul. 21, 2013 at 10:33 AM
Too many parents want to control kids. Controlling and guiding are 2 totally different things. I see too many contolling parents on here.

Quoting PurpleHazey:

We can't control how loud their music is when they wear earbuds

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Momofmenagerie
by Bronze Member on Jul. 21, 2013 at 11:03 AM
This problem has been around since "Walkmans" and the boom boxes that were so humongous and teens put them at full blast and carried them on their shoulders.

With my son, he's allowed to only ONE EARBUD on at a time , for two reasons.... Less chance of of hearing loss and I expect him to hear me at all times.
I think the iPod speakers are a good idea.

As far as earbuds .... If you can hear it, it's too loud.

I think it is excellent that you told her she was in charge of her hearing, did you mention that is she doesn't listen, believe, and take care of herself, she may never hear music again? Teens ( as you know ) thing they are indestructible .... By putting the scare into her that music is lost in translation when you can only feel the bass beat of a table with written lyrics in front of her, it may help.

Good luck.
Endo.girl
by on Jul. 21, 2013 at 3:23 PM
If she hhas an ipod then in the parental contrrol there should be a volume limit. Appart from that i dont know what to do. I know the effects of ear buds and headphones.. but it is an unavoidable thing for me i work part time in a mastering studio mixing music.
Jinx-Troublex3
by Bronze Member on Jul. 21, 2013 at 11:07 PM
Call me a controlling parent but I would take the ear buds and phone/ iPod away if she can't be responsible. In my house, if I sit next to you and hear it, it is too loud.

Provide her with speakers and thwarts what she gets. No music on the bus, if she can't.keep it reasonable at home. sorry.

As DS's therapist said, they are teens but still kids. It is our responsibility to enforce lives lessons.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN