Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Just Can't get it done..

Posted by on Jul. 17, 2013 at 10:25 PM
  • 13 Replies
My 17 year old daughter cannot pack a bag. A bag to go on a trip. With a packing list given to her. With help offered to wash and dry clothes to pack...and asked a week in advance. No she cannot pack. So what does she do? The usual, nothing. My husband washed a few loads (yes I said a few loads for her) and she has been asked a million times to get packed. Our car rental is in the driveway with everyone's else's things PACKED but hers. She had TV to watch and BF to talk to and needed to chill...so she has major meltdown and screaming at everyone its our fault...we are all going to bed now to get up at 4:00 in the morning for long car trip...she is sitting in the living room with a hundred items of clothes and doing nothing but stewing. I said follow the list, pack it up and go to bed. She has anger issues and can't get her stuff together to save her life and blames everyone else...UGH!..
by on Jul. 17, 2013 at 10:25 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
boys2men2soon
by Kimberly on Jul. 17, 2013 at 10:44 PM

Too bad for her.    I guess she will have to pack, or do without on the trip.

drfink
by Emily on Jul. 17, 2013 at 10:51 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting boys2men2soon:

Too bad for her.    I guess she will have to pack, or do without on the trip.

agree ,sometimes some people just have to learn the hard way

deb51980
by Member on Jul. 17, 2013 at 10:55 PM

Age 17 you say?

I find this a bit worrisome, frankly.  Is she college bound?  Will she succeed in living apart?

My 10 y/o boy wanted to do his own packing.  I let him have his go--turned out a lot harder than it looked.  I assembled one sox/underwear kit, put a rubber band around it and waited while he did the rest.  Ditto shirts, trousers, toiletries.  It took umpteen time longer than doing myself.  Earlier this summer he packed for two-week trip according to the list from the camp.  I asked if he wanted me to check,  He assured me he was on it.  He neglected to have the top on the shampoo on tight but he had it in a zipper plastic bag  -- got most back in the bottle, used the amount remaining in the bag for first shampoo.  He gets passing grade even for an adult, let alone age 13.

Did you ever teach your daughter to pack a bag?  What has happened on previous trips?  If this has gone downhill from last year, I think some counselling is in order.

bizzeemom2717
by Jen on Jul. 17, 2013 at 11:04 PM
Yikes she's almost 18! I would let her learn the hard way. Also don't put up with her screaming or throwing fits mama! If she wants to act like she's 5 I would treat her that way...5 year olds don't have phones to talk to their BF and they don't watch anything but Nick Jr on TV. Don't let her pull that.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Barabell
by Barbara on Jul. 17, 2013 at 11:37 PM

My son has been packing his own clothes for trips since he was 8 or 9. 

As another poster said, I find this behavior a bit worrisome.  Definitely should be some kind of serious consequence for this kind of behavior!!

sabrtooth1
by on Jul. 17, 2013 at 11:47 PM

Sounds like your child has some psychiatric issues.  This is NOT normal behavior.  She needs a full workup by a competent psychiatrist, NOW.

lucky2Beeme
by Gold Member on Jul. 18, 2013 at 7:15 AM

That phone would have gone missing yesterday until her bag was packed.That is total BS what she is doing. I hope that she got it done and you all have a wonderful vacation.

suesues
by Silver Member on Jul. 18, 2013 at 7:49 AM

my also waits till last minute she is 18

my2kidsmom9498
by Bronze Member on Jul. 18, 2013 at 8:22 AM

My kids are both last minute packers, but if it gets left behind, so be it!  I stopped packing for them once they got around 9.  Live and learn.

fammatthews4
by Trisha on Jul. 18, 2013 at 8:50 AM
My kids are last minute packers too. I give them a specific time that it needs to be done (before they go to bed the night before the trip) then I let it go. I don't nag I just leave them alone. I have never had their clothes not ready to go the morning of the trip. (Or whatever deadline I gave them)
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)