Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

Young teens & cyberspace

Posted by on Jul. 18, 2013 at 8:05 AM
  • 2 Replies
1 mom liked this

We care and I'm determined to do something about it!!!

Just recently i found a kik message where a boy (which my DD has gone to school with since kinder) was asking my DD for nude pictures, I was glad to see that my DD's response was NO despite this boy nagging for the pic. I discussed this with my DD, began by telling her that i was very proud that she said no to the request and that she stood firm but also explained that this is very risky and it could ruin  her teenage/college/adult life. Cyberspace is vast  and more powerful than her and it's hard to make anything of this magnitude disappear - including a bad reputation.  Lately these requests from boys have been continued (not just to my DD  but other friends) and i have decided to do something about it. I am planning to have a parent meeting to raise awareness about the things that are happening with our kids and what these kids are being faced with. I got in touch with my local PD and was put in touch with the resource office who handles issues like this and works at the high school full time during the school year. I felt alot of support coming from the officer especially when he mentioned that he was very impressed and commended me for my action in wanting to take on such event. He agreed to help me in any way possible. As a result he agreed to come speak at my parent meeting about the consequences of what these kids are doing in detail and how parents can help keep their kids from possibly regreating a bad move and be more proactive. I have also reached out to the local college in hopes to get in touch with a physcology professor who will hopefuly assist me by recommending a student who is working on their child psychology masters/major who will be willing to come speck to the parents as well.

I looking for more advise pertaining to my mission. I need ideas for the "invite" flyer that i'll be sending out. I want the wording to attract parents to the meeting so they want to come and even sound so interesting that they want they want to tell other parents about the meeting. Although i know a good number of parents i'm hoping word of mouth get around about my event and provides a good turnout. I understand some parents may not be able to make due to prior engagements for some and other may just not care sadly but i'll be thankful for whoever show up and express interest for their childs future and safety. Your suggestions are greatly appreciated.

in addition i'm also open to suggestions about resourses to any guest speakers or material. the thought of the following really breaks my heart but  i would love to find someone who has lost a teenage child due to cyber bulling or similar issue who would agree to come talk about her story,  or even a young adult who agree to share their storys of highschool peer presure and bulling they experienced growing up. I think these true stories would really hit home to where parents will understand the importance of what's going on and how these things can hurt so bad, both their child and their families. any information on where i can find help like this would be awesome.
Thanks for reading, your comments and support are greatly appreciated.
-Gabi
by on Jul. 18, 2013 at 8:05 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
Barabell
by Barbara on Jul. 18, 2013 at 9:45 AM
1 mom liked this

I think it's commendable what you're doing.

I've just talked a lot about this at home with my son, so I haven't thought about it on a more community-scale like what you're planning on doing. I will also touch on things I've seen on the news with him. I remember watching the YouTube video of that girl that committed suicide last year due to cyber bullying. Maybe presenting that would help if you can't find guest speakers affected directly by it.

I think if you posted some what your initial thoughts are for the flier that we could provide input on it. I'm having a hard time thinking of suggestions.

PurpleHazey
by on Jul. 18, 2013 at 9:51 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Barabell:

I think it's commendable what you're doing.

I've just talked a lot about this at home with my son, so I haven't thought about it on a more community-scale like what you're planning on doing. I will also touch on things I've seen on the news with him. I remember watching the YouTube video of that girl that committed suicide last year due to cyber bullying. Maybe presenting that would help if you can't find guest speakers affected directly by it.

I think if you posted some what your initial thoughts are for the flier that we could provide input on it. I'm having a hard time thinking of suggestions.

I am with you

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)